Filler channels

Dave72dt

On the bottom of the front U shaped pillars, next to the front cab mounts is a C shaped filler panel that needs to be replaced. It has a small traingular tab at the top. Problem: tab is tucked inside the cab bottom on one side and outside on the other. I've got new filler panels to install but which is correct? Is the tab welded to the cab sheet metal or just spotted to the U channel?

Second question: Anyone have a modern paint code for Dodge truck red. I can use just about anyone's modern code equivalent as long as I know whose it is.

I can't really help you with either question, Dave. However I can tell you that my local paint store was able to make a phone call and cross the DuPont Dulux paint number from the paint chart page on the DEPTCA site. http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/color/imgcol/index.htm I printed out the page and took it in to show them the Dodge Dark Green that I wanted. He was able to get a cross to a modern number and found the current paint chip. It matched the glove box door that I also brought in for a color match sample.

By the way... I rode through your town today on my way to Iowa for a motorcycle rally. That guy on the west side of town has some nice looking restored trucks with vintage cattle trailers. I'm wishing I had stopped to get a couple of pictures.

Merle

I'm probably going to have to make that phone call myself, also. The paint formula computer at work took a hit the other night from the recent storm and was hoping to save some research time and to get some verification on color accuracy.

The owner of those rigs operates a trucking company and when not on the road driving one of his newer rigs, gets around in a wheel chair. Offhand, I don't know if they were previously owned by his father or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Another couple of weeks and we should start getting some good color in the leaves and with the river background would make for a nice scenic trip.

Hey Dave,

I got a few trucks laying around here. What year is your cab? I have 48-50's.... could take a couple pictures of the area in question.

The paint store I use had PPG use the old Ditzler color chips (from the Depetca site) to get the correct formula. Just took a phone call and a fax reply....less than an hour. Of course PPG is Ditzler which may have played a role in the turn around time.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/learningcenter/lchistory.aspx

Merle...not take pictures? What? Bet you get'em next time around.

48D:D

It's a '51. Right side, left side, and the replacement parts. In the upper left corner of the second pic you can see the left front cab mount bolt hole. They're supposed to close off the bottom of the A pillar but they're not consistant side to side. Both in or both out?

post-2406-1358536347992_thumb.jpg

post-2406-13585363480597_thumb.jpg

post-2406-13585363481282_thumb.jpg

hey that looks familiar! Looks there is a bolt stuck in the one as well...was wondering where that went! :D If it's one of the BDC bolts save it and do it up in red.

You know if you had all these little mundane details figured out he'd have more time for welding and paint prep......

well I measured the one for the new blanks but never thought the D and P side would be different!

hey that looks familiar! Looks there is a bolt stuck in the one as well...was wondering where that went! :D If it's one of the BDC bolts save it and do it up in red.

There's one on the other side as well, same spot, except it's a coarse screw thread. Now that I've got pictures taken of it, I can cut the rusty ones out.