The long road home...

bamfordsgarage

Try to get a skinny spare, anything over 215 or equivelent likely will not fit in the depressioin in the trunk. You might want to consider a temp spare deal as they are usually skinny enough to fit in the slot.

The pictured p15 looks like Don C's.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up that Oklahoma's weather for today and tomorrow could be rather iffy with snow and freezing rain southwest of Oklahoma City. I know by now that part of the states isn't too far off your schedule at this point in time

Hopefully you guys were able to find a wheel or get the other one fixed yesterday

Good luck on your trip,

Bob

Yes hope all is well, but Chris and Jerry are Western Canadians, and thus used to cold weather and snow, if they have encountered any that is.

If they hit miserable weather in the Texas/Okalhoma/Arkansas area, maybe they could head north instead. At least in the northern states, they can deal with snow and ice on highways, with eqipment, but in the South, you could be sitting ina Motel for a few days, waiting things out. I seem to recall the trip plan was to head to Florida, then across the south, so it could be okay.

Keep us posted Chris, hope all is going well.....

Having ridden in that car, I have a new appreciation for what they're doing. I was surprised how quiet the ride was. The engine seems to run very smoothly, too. Stops nicely, which is handy. The fact that it's over 60 years old is where the drama comes in. But that's the satisfaction, too, which I imagine is huge after a 225-mile day.

I am expecting them to call...and if "they" are monitoring this...I am at out and about same as them....best way to reach me at the moment is though this site.....as I read it, they are spending Tues. night in Lyons....they have my home phone number to get final approach and landing instructions..Don has further instructed me to USE MY CAMERA this time...!!!

Hello all, Day 3 (yesterday), Hillsborough NC to Sumter SC, 289 miles today, trip total 659.

Sorry I'm late but the dog ate my homework! Actually the wireless went down at our hotel last night and was still down this morning. I'll post today's report shortly.

Yesterday we were determined to get a usable spare — of some sort — before we left Hillsborough. We tried to source a more modern Ranger-type rim, but could only find 14" or 15" ones that seemed far too wide for our fenders and the tire diameter would still be less than 28". Maybe we didn't try hard enough or weren't looking for the right thing but that angle seemed to be a dead end.

Then there a few places that were suggested to us as possibly having an old Mopar rim. We got so excited with one guy came out of his shop, spied the Dodge and exclaimed "Hey, I saw y'alls cahr at Hershey!" Alas, no amount of looking through his junk piles could produce a 16" rim.

We tried to get our old one welded, but the regular shops wouldn't touch our job for liability reasons, although we eventually found a body shop owner who agreed to weld it for us. That started out OK when he pressed the crack shut and laid a nice bead on the outside of the wheel. We were outside poking around in the yard and didn't notice him then starting to lay a big fat bead inside the rim — all the way around. Turns out he didn't have a grinder (or didn't want to have one) to shape this inside bead such that a tire could actually be re-mounted on the rim.

Long story short, we bought an angle grinder at Home Depot and plugged into the tire shop's power so we could spend the next hour fixing the welder's job enough to get our tire mounted. We weren't out of Sumter until almost 5:00 but at least we had a usable spare. Sort of usable, anyway — on close examination, his outside weld didn't seem to fully mend the original crack, so there was no telling how long it might hold if we had to use this wheel.

We something astonishing in and around the body shop yard that we sure don't see in Canada... Kudzu. We were told this remarkable weed was planted along roadsides in the southeastern US some 50 years ago — on purpose, no less — and has since overgrown large areas of land near the affected highways. It can grow up to a foot per day, the roots are very deep and strong and the plant is near impossible to kill. There were several cars in the back lot that were totally covered with kudzu to the point of being unidentifiable. He told us that if they drag a car into the back during the growing season and it can be completely covered within two weeks.

Pictures: Looking for rims; welding our rim (note the cool air-brushed woodie in the background); finished product — yikes!; finishing the finished product; Kudzu at work.

post-2848-13585359440463_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359440728_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359441096_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359441391_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359441639_thumb.jpg

And Day 4, Sumter NC to Vidalia GA, 247 miles today, 906 trip total.

Yesterday as we seemed to be wasting our time trying to get a usable spare we debated how badly we needed one right away — after all, we could probably go thousands of miles without another flat. Two miles north of Lyons, GA we were very VERY glad we persevered yesterday. Right rear this time and for no apparent reason, but we had the spare on in 10 minutes and rolled gingerly into Lyons on our questionable welded wheel. Luck was with us — KK Tire was closing in 15 minutes and they had our flat repaired in 10.

We were visiting a Model T Forum member in Lyons and he kindly offered the use of his yard to swap in the freshly-repaired tire and his MIG for Jerry to fix up the questionable weld from yesterday.

It was a Model T sort of day — breakfast was with another Model T forum member and scholar in Sumter SC, who toured us through his cars and stuff and gave rides in his original Mercury-bodied early-20s T Speedster (earlier than and nothing to do with Mercury cars by Ford). Most T speedsters are homebuilt affairs with often crude and skimpy bodywork. Mercury, however, was one of the best manufacturers of factory speedster bodies and original Mercury bodies are rare and highly prized today.

Tomorrow we head due west to Elko, GA to meet up with a Mr. Timothy Adams Esq. who has kindly offered us a spare 16" rim. We do have an extra tire with us, so with Tim's rim and our 2nd tire that will give us two usable spares for the road! At the rate we've been going, that should keep us in spares until Friday.

Upon leaving Tim's place we drive south into Florida, turn right and head for Mississippi. Once we've made that right turn, every mile we travel brings us a mile closer to home.

Pictures: Jerry going for a ride in the Mercury Speedster; Dodge and Mercury — a contrast in sportiness; Life in the slow lane, getting passed by semis going uphill; Fixing the rim for good in Lyons, GA; 1918 TT (Model T Ton Truck) in Lyons, GA

post-2848-13585359443609_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359444789_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359445056_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359445469_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585359445741_thumb.jpg

Stuff to do with camping at Hershey in October — an old mattress for Jerry, air mattress for me, sleeping bags, Coleman stove, 10x10 canopy, folding table, lawn chairs, cooler, 2nd spare tire, roll of rusty screen from the old Packard plant, folding swap meet shopping cart...

Bam, kudzu was originally brought over from Japan to fight errosion on hillsides and cliffs, a very hardy growth it is and the only 2 things that can keep up with it is a herd of goats or dedicated person with unlimited time:eek:

It is as insidious as ivy and 10 x as fast.

Will it grow up North here, say in North Dakota or Minnesota weather, what those 2 states can grow, so can we....