P15-D24 club plague

Uncle-Pekka

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Uncle, is the plan for that to be made of metal like usual plaques or possibly resin..

From my side this is just a trial to learn what can be made at my home garage, I am not planning to produce these in large amounts.

There are pros and cons for both metal and resin.

For metal the only "challenge" is the melting process.

Mold for metal casting is cheap and easy; You can make a number of molds out of sand and re-use the special sand after each cast session.

Also raw material, silumin (aluminium) or bronze is cheap and easily available as scrap. Melting the scarp requires some special heating equipment, which would require small investment.

At this moment, however, I have limited access to a small workshop, where I belive I can cast a batch of 5-6 plaques.

The resin cast, on the other hand, is sort of opposite situation: The mold will be expensive, should be made out of special silicon, which costs roughly $500 per kilo. Once mold is made, the cast is cheap and easy. You can use common resin, same stuff used in glass fiber boats, etc. and re-use the silicon mold >100 times.

Regarding to the result: A resin plaque is light weight, but somewhat fragile. A sharp hit will break it. Also the feel is not as nice as metal. Must be painted all over to hide the ugly resin material.

Bronze is good looking, but very heavy (also the most expensive material)

Silumin crest is the best compromise from my point of view: Very strong and durable, genuine metal, but not too heavy.

Mold making for a resin type plaque.

Dentists use an impression material, "alginate".

It dries fast, maybe 2 minutes or so, is a little flexable I believe.

Cost about $15 per pound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEPTODONT-ALGINATE-REGULAR-SET-1LB-/250712720226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5fa48362

Check this site, make custom car club plaques.:cool: Seems that there is a first time set up charge but not stated. After that prices are listed lated in post. Total costs are unknown without calling. I will call if interest/ more involved parties want to do any followup etc..

Seems reasonably priced if more than 10 are ordered. Done in cast aluminum,

10+ are $21 each + $10 ship. Other metals avail., no prices given,call.

Having problems getting the whole page to down load. Just search the name and website will show up, the go to plaqes, then look for custom plaqes and a high lighted name about specs needed to replicate.

Sorry about that but not to good on computer after recent computer change!:o

Doug

Edited by DJ194950

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEPTODONT-ALGINATE-REGULAR-SET-1LB-/250712720226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5fa48362

Thanks Robert,

Next time I'll visit States I'll grab a pack of this gum.

So far I have done some resin casting for scale models and used very expensive special silicon. It is easy to use and reproduces even smallest details very faithfully. For scale model castings you do not need it much, thus I kinda suspected it will not be the right choice for this purpose...

• 1 month later...

Nice work and I would like one. I would make it differently, I would make it like the top view of the engine head, afterall, that is a flathead! It is a rectangle and could be displayed many ways.

I can see it now......on a sign out front......."Dentures and Car Club

Plaques Made While U Wait"

I can see it now......on a sign out front......."Dentures and Car Club

Plaques Made While U Wait"

Some of the guys on here might appreciate that-one stop shopping!