Winterizing the car

fedoragent

Folks,

I'm thinking of putting together a procedure for winterizing the car. In California, the worst that we get is bad rains, hail occasionally and that is about it. I wanted to compare notes with folks in California and also to raise awareness for those that may be in some other climates during the winter. Here is my list.

1. Replace cowl, door, hood and trunk rubber.

2. Replace all window rubber (except for my front and rear windshields as they don't leak. I did a test today. I did the a trickle of water and also a load of continuous water.)

3. RainX all the glass in and out.

4. Replace the wiper blades.

5. Place rubber mats in front and back.

6. When engine is cold, parked and not being used:

a. Disconnect the battery.

b. Cover engine with a tarp so as to not get rain water in the engine compartment and near my spark plugs or carb.

7. Roll her into the garage.

8. In case I need to drive her, have extra road flares, charged battery box w/ air compressor.

My garage is water tight, but during the heavy rain the roof started to pool on top of the Model A garage. Water did drip occasionally.

What is your list?

FG.

My "California winterizing" list is to itemize the things that I want to fix before the rains stop in the spring. Then I forget the list while I do other activities like skiing. Finally, when spring comes I do a chassis lube, oil change, brake adjust and tune up and drive it until the rains come again. Seems like most of the things on the list get deferred to the next winter.

My "California winterizing" list is to itemize the things that I want to fix before the rains stop in the spring. Then I forget the list while I do other activities like skiing. Finally, when spring comes I do a chassis lube, oil change, brake adjust and tune up and drive it until the rains come again. Seems like most of the things on the list get deferred to the next winter.

I miss driving up to Tahoe...you're making me miss the Bay Area Tod...stop that.

FG.

Fill the gas tank to prevent any moisture from building up and put sta bil in and run the gas out of the carb also.

the tarping of the motor you need to leave room for the air to circulate if not it will sweat and make it's own rain! up here we have to make sure to have anti freeze in all the motors, them hard freezes play havoc on blocks and heads! if you are not going to drive it for a while i would jack it up and put stands under it and keep the load off the tires, and make sure the air stays up.

I didn't mean to make too much fun of the winters around here in CA.

I realize the people east and north have it pretty bad at time. I know of some who put their cars inside of special made bubbles. Those are some tuff winters. Not sure how long I would even last. :eek:

Hey I live up north in Canada, but still start the car up, pull her out of the garage every now and then sneak a ride down the road if the road is clean and dry.

The first year I had her on the road, I drove her around at -2 f, not a problem for the old girl..........Fred ps these cars drove all year round once upon a time, but now she is being pampered, kept inside, and off snowy/salty roads........Fred

My car and truck hibernate for about 5 months. I try to make sure the tank is full(not very easy at the cabin the nearest gas station is about 25miles away) and put stabil in the tank. Make sure the antifreeze is good to about -40 and then disconnect the battery and wait for spring.