Waking Up My Cambridge---Fuel System Question

JerseyHarold

My son and I want to get my '52 Cambridge running after 10 years of sitting in the garage. Before I laid it up, I had the gas tank done by Gas Tank Renu, put in all new fuel lines and pump, and rebuilt the carb. For all intents, a new fuel system. I had the engine running several times after doing the work so I know it worked. I think there was about 2 gallons of gas in the tank. My question: Should I just add gas to the tank to dilute whatever is in there, pull off the hose to the fuel pump and run a hose from a can, or is there something else to do to get fuel to the engine? This, of course, assumes that the motor still spins. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Harold

Edited by JerseyHarold

10 year old gas= drain it out, and get fresh gas.

I would pull spark plugs, if the engine spins over, and try and get some oil into the cylinders, and maybe crank over a bit to get oil moving around.

Once you have fresh gas in the tank, and all is well for the ignition department, battery starter, I would prime the carb with gas, and get her cranking over.

10 years huh, never tried to start her occasionally during this time?

Hope all works out well, if she was stored inside, may not be so bad........Fred

10 years huh, never tried to start her occasionally during this time?

Of course not...that would be too easy:D

With both kids growing up we were constantly running around (still are, even with our older one away at college) and there was always something more urgent to do.

I did a lot of mechanical work on the Cambridge years ago, and it's the closest to operable of my 3 old Plymouths. I'm hoping that once I get this one going, I'll get charged-up to do the other two. Plus, my son is 17 and is interested in learning, so that helps too.

One car I bought had a full tank of fuel, had set for over 4 years. I took the fuel line loose from the fuel pump, hooked an electric fuel pump to the line going to the tank, and pumped out all the fuel. poured in a gallon of fresh gas, and pumped that out also...........hooked fuel line back to regular fuel pump, added fresh gas, and with a little fuel to the carb a couple of times, started up ok, ran fine............

My D24 sat outside for around 8yrs without running, just did a tune-up, changed the oil, cleaned the fuel pump and ran a line to a small tank (original tank is rusted like Swiss cheese). Just poured a small amount of gas down the carb and had it running. Sounded mean with the exhaust rusted out just after it turns under the car. Just make sure to clean out the tank, pump, and lines before putting any new gas in and cranking away. A lot of crud that will clog up the carb. Might not be a bad idea to make sure there isn't rust on the fuel pickup in the tank, I had a car that ran lean and would vapor lock because of that.

Harold did you happen to put any fuel stabilizer in the tank? When I got my p23 it had about 20yo gas in it with a stabilizer and it started and ran on that ancient stuff.

After sitting for 10 years, I would probably be as concerned about stopping as starting. You should pull the drums and inspect the brake cylinders and check the master cylinder.

I would also replace the rubber water hoses and have a good look at the fan belt.

I used to build small block Chevies. When we would rebuild a motor or fire one up that had been sitting for a length of time, we would pull the distributor and spin the oil pump (which was driven by the distributor) with a power drill and a long shaft. I don't know if there is any way to turn the oil pump on your plymouth, but if not, you should let it crank for a while to get some oil running around the motor.

When I bought my Woodie, it had been in a private museum for a while, so I drained the gas out and replaced it before I ran it around. After 10 years, I definately would.

Should be a heck of a lot of fun to fire it up after all this time. Good Luck.

Ed,

Negatory on the fuel stabilizer. it would have been a good idea to throw some in.

Woody49,

I rebuilt the entire brake system soup to nuts in the late 1990's and then the car just sat. I never got a firm, high pedal, which bothered me. I learned later from this forum that brake-shoe links could have slots that were too deep to allow the shoes to push firmly on the drums. I'm fairly certain I have the link issue, because I recall using old and new links when i did the brakes.

I'm hoping it will take minimal work to get the brakes going again.

At that price, it better be 110 octane too. Ron's 76 was advertising $2.89/gal for reg. unleaded on Monday.

Here in Trenton MO, 91 octane premium runs $2.51/gal.

Up here in my part of Canuckland, regular gas is $3.60 per gallon....

Up here in my part of Canuckland, regular gas is $3.60 per gallon....

I realise that petrol has different prices in other locales. I actually looked up Myrtle Creek OR on http://gasprices.mapquest.com/ to get price quoted. That much extra is pretty excessive just to not have ethanol, esp. when the unsubsidised price for ethanol is much higher than even taxed 87 octane regular unleaded. I then quoted my own Trenton MO comparison price for 91 octane premium to point out the regional differences.

Comparing the value difference in US$ vs. C$ puts your C$3.60/gal @ US$3.42. Just for some more information on the local prices on a uniform commodity.

I realise that petrol has different prices in other locales. I actually looked up Myrtle Creek OR on http://gasprices.mapquest.com/ to get price quoted. That much extra is pretty excessive just to not have ethanol, esp. when the unsubsidised price for ethanol is much higher than even taxed 87 octane regular unleaded. I then quoted my own Trenton MO comparison price for 91 octane premium to point out the regional differences.

Comparing the value difference in US$ vs. C$ puts your C$3.60/gal @ US$3.42. Just for some more information on the local prices on a uniform commodity.

Yah, the price of gas is still fairly reasonable, here in Canada compared to other locations in the world, as in Europe for example.

Petrol, that be a British term for Gas, ver heard it referred to Petrol in Canada.......

We (?) adopted the metric system in the 70's so gas is now sold by the liter.

Regular gas in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is 99.9 cents per liter.

One imperial gallon is exactly 4.54609 litres, whereas one U.S. gallon is exactly 3.7854118 liters.

One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.

So, gas is $3.77 a US gallon here.

If you can, drain the fuel tank. If you can remove the drain plug, you can easily drain the tank. I was able to remove the drain plug and drain the tank at about 3 gallons a drain into a plastic tub used for yard work. My process was to unscrew the drain plug part way which would allow fuel to come out into this tub I had for mixing cement. In the process, I also made a new gasket for the plug out of thick gasket paper.

If you can, drain the fuel tank. If you can remove the drain plug, you can easily drain the tank. I was able to remove the drain plug and drain the tank at about 3 gallons a drain into a plastic tub used for yard work. My process was to unscrew the drain plug part way which would allow fuel to come out into this tub I had for mixing cement. In the process, I also made a new gasket for the plug out of thick gasket paper.

I'm planning to drain whatever gas/goo that's in the tank out one way or another. The tank was redone and sealed by Gas Tank Renu in the 1990's and has had maybe 5 gallons total in it since then. Right now I think it has about 2 gallons.

The tank was really porous and weak before Gas Tank Renu fixed it, and I'm concerned about how strong the area around the plug is. I'm thinking about pulling out the sending unit and sucking the gas out through that opening so I don't disturb the drain plug.

I know this opinion puts me squarely in the minority, but I like the idea in your original post of just filingl the tank with fresh gas and cranking away. Ive used some really old gas from time to time with no ill effects that I am aware of. Since you will be significantly diluting it, especially if you fill it all the way to the top, thats the path I would take. You will probably encounter other problems along the way which will take up your time. And your time will be better spent on solving those other problems than by spending it draining the tank.

I dont dislike the idea of first starting the engine from an external temporary can of fresh gas. Perhaps that would be a good compromise.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Just before dark, my son and I pulled the plugs and shot some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. I had him make cardboard tags to number the plug wires, then I did the first cylinder to show him what to do. He's happy to be puttering with the car, which is probably the most important by-product of this whole adventure.

Have you decided what to do with the old gas in the tank? I'd be inclinded to try it and go from there. I wouldnt fill it but maybe add 4-5 gallons so you're running 50-50 old and new