Chrome-Nickel Molybdenum Iron

As I have been peeling back the decades of grease, oil and dirt on the side of my block of my B1-RA, I noticed in the driver's side of the block has Chrome-Nickel Molybdenum Iron cased in bigger lettering.

Was this just a trademark thing or was it really a way to make the block better? I am curious if anyone has more information about what Dodge was doing related to this in terms of experimenting with different casing materials, corrosion resistance, etc.

Thanks,

KJ

Edited by KJ's Dodge
Spelling/Clarity

All the Dodge truck 7 main bearing engine blocks are cast with this super-heavy duty "Chrome-Nickel Molybdenum Iron" . It's a heavy duty iron for severe service situations. A lot of Diesel engines are cast with it too.

Bob

mine doesnt have these words. what does that mean?

It means your cylinder head isn't 30" long!

Bob

"Chrome-Nickel Molybdenum Iron" Dodge engines hold about 9 quarts of oil with filter change, so does your engine hold this much oil and have dual fan belts too?

If not you now don't need to measure your head.

Mine has the 282 cubic inch engine but one of Bob's trucks has the big 413 cubic inch monsters. These trucks have a much larger front clip to accomodate the greater length of these larger engines as well. They really are a different beast all together.

Edited by KJ's Dodge

could somebody get a picture of one of these beasts compared to just a plain old 218?

Your wish has been granted. A 55 Ply 230, A Chrysler straight "8", and a Dodge truck 7 main bearing "Moly Block" engine.

Bob

Those big engines make the little 6 look like a go cart motor. How is it for finding parts for the big block 6's and rebuilding them?

I found it very interesting reading about the bigger trucks in Don Bunn's "B Series" book, and today they must be a really scarce.

Dodgeb4ya, could you post some pics of your truck on here? I haven't seen any pics of the big dogs other than in Bunn's book.

Man, what a hoss! What kinda torque and HP does them 413's have? Looks like something you'd see in heavy equipment, dozers and such. Anybody ever put one in a half ton or p15?

Those big engines make the little 6 look like a go cart motor. How is it for finding parts for the big block 6's and rebuilding them?

I found it very interesting reading about the bigger trucks in Don Bunn's "B Series" book, and today they must be a really scarce.

Dodgeb4ya, could you post some pics of your truck on here? I haven't seen any pics of the big dogs other than in Bunn's book.

Some misc. pics of my 4 tonner.

Here is the tread I started late summer before last on my big truck. It is slow going but it is coming along. The truck has a colorful history. If the creek doesn't rise than it will be placed back on the road later this summer.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=11815&highlight=B1RA

post-2693-13585355320888_thumb.jpg

Edited by KJ's Dodge

No not that large of a 6. But a 1.5 ton should have a 25" block not a p15 one. Can you tell that the front motor mount has been messed with? Is there a lot of space between the fan and the radiator?

P18 is the same. 3" sounds right. The one inch that you would normally have had and then 2 extra inches for the 2 inch shorter motor. Probably not too much of a big deal if you don't plan to use it for work.

• 3 weeks later...
Man, what a hoss! What kinda torque and HP does them 413's have? Looks like something you'd see in heavy equipment, dozers and such. Anybody ever put one in a half ton or p15?

My 282 Molly Block produces 115HP at 3200 RPM, should be more with the dual carbs and exhaust set up which would increase the ponies by 20-25%. The torque is 225lbs per foot at 1200 RPM. I am sure Bob knows what the much bigger 413's or 331's produce.

KJ

Edited by KJ's Dodge