it's cold in the garage

DutchEdwin

Joe,

I just did what you said, put some chicken food, grain and sunflower pits on a plate, just a meter away from where he was digging. He flew away as I was coming of course. But when he (or she) came back, he started digging at the same spot, disregarding the plate (As I think of it....was probably a she, ..... :D).

Joe..a wood stove burns quite easily...lol I have a large double barrel design wood burner in the shop...it is the air tight model that allow control of burn..very nice...I have also lined the bottom unit wiht birks and sand so to never worry about burnout....I also have modified the upper heat chamber with through tubes and when it comes up to temp, I turn on the small fan in the back that blows air through the tube...these are very nice. I only fire that sucker up if I know I am going to out in the shop for an iextended period of time..my next modification to the unit will be the addition of a force air oil burner...got the plans off the internet to built this unit..just have not done that yet...

I would have a hard time without my heated garage. Picture shows the garage a the height of a recent blizzard but it is toasty inside. I am very careful with all flammable solvents and constantly check vehicles for leaks as the furnace obviously has a flame. I love going out there when the weather is horrid, as in cold and snowy, and cranking the heat up, cranking the tunes up, and working on a project whether it is cars or something else.

DSCN5540.jpg

Joe,

My son has a nice large wood stove in his 4 1/2 car garage and shop. His is designed for a garage or shop and also has a blower on it. He added heating ducts from one end of the garage to the other. He has no insulation at all in the garage, but on a 0 degree day, that heat will run you out of the garage if he stokes it up too high. Since there is no open flame to ignite anything he doesn't have a problem with it that way. Only takes him about 30 to 45 minutes to heat the place up nice and toasty.

I have a small little kerosene radiant heater to heat my 2 car garage when I want. It will heat my insulated garage up to about 45 to 55 degrees depending on outside temperature. I have the snow blower in there, the coupe and extra gas for blower and kerosene can in the garage with the heat on, without a problem sometimes. That said, I don't usually go out there unless I really need to during the winter months. It does take about 2 hours to heat the garage up. By that time, I'm usually doing something else anyway.

we just got the heat hooked up in our garage (i rent with a buddy of mine). for the past 3yrs we haven't had heat. ha i didn't even work on my truck for 3 months because it was so frigid in there. having an all metal building doesn't help much, hell it's colder inside than out. it aint much but it takes the chill out

DSC_5377.jpg

DSC_5403.jpg

I'm still kicking myself for giving away a real nice oil space heater back in the 70's. Was a nice big one that was big enough to heat a 4 or 5 room house. Was there when I bought the house. Would heat the garage real nice and toasty. But.........I didn't do much in the garage then. One day when cleaning out the garage decided it was time for it to go, so sat it outside next to the garage. My then next door neighbor then noticed I didn't put it back in after a couple of days. Ask what I was going to do with it. Told him he could have it. He did do a lot of putzing in the garage with his sons then. After he passed away, his wife gave the space heater to her oldest son for his garage. So.......guess it's the one that got away.:rolleyes: Still have the sealed off vent pipe through the garage roof.

Garage is at the end of the house. Furnace for the upstairs bedrooms is in the garage.

Couple clicks of the thermostat and I will get to a good working temp in a very short time.

But I usually keep it ambient and unless it gets in the minus numbers it never gets more than a couple degrees below freezing.

Edited by greg g

I had a pot belly stove in the wood garage before I rebuilt the garage. I called myself modernizing the space. I had one of those heat blowers. It was so noisey I could not hear the music. I could put the pot belly back but I would have to put the stove pipe back in the wall and cut some wood and get some kinling. I don't do enough work down there anymore. Believe it or not I start a car up in there( exhaust pipe exit tubes hooked up) run it for a while and shut it off. heats the place good enough to do a little work.

I do have a little space heater (electric) by my chair that's good for now.

Hey Joe, I can't make it to cozy I won't go home;) I remember when I was building my Plymouth the wife would call around 8:00 in the summer and I would have to go home. It was such a bummer because with that kind of peace I could do so much work. The warm breeze and some friends coming by with chicken and fish we would get stuffed as the evening came on. Life was good then. These winter months are brutal just awful. I only have small things to do to the cars now.