new owner of a d24

mikes48d24

hello everyone my name is mike and im from roanoke rapids nc. ive been into cars pretty much since ive been driving but its all been sport trucks. my current truck is a 2003 dodge ram. i recently just came across a 1948 dodge d24. i still havent decided what all im going to do the car but whatever i do it will be driven and enjoyed as i dont believe in trailer queens. the car has the flathead straight six. here are some pics of my ram and the d24.

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

1948dodge.jpg

48dodge.jpg

Welcome. Keep us posted with your progress. There are tons of great folks and vast archives of info for when you hit those stumbling blocks.

Your Dodge will have a fluid drive set up. Most likely backed up with a standard 3speed transmission. If you're not familiar witht the fluid drive deal, go to AllPar and search for fluid drive. As such, there is no mechanical connection between the engine and trans with the engine not running, there for no engine off compression braking. So make sure either the parking brake works or after you get air i the tires you chock the tires when parked. Don;t want your new project rolling off to visit the neighbors.

i have no idea where im going to start. i guess ill start by cleaning it and making sure the huge snake skin we found , doesnt have its owner in the car. but the car is pretty solid and all the trim is there, whats not on the car is in the car. i got a little truck im working on now so thats going to get finished first then ill work on this car. i just couldnt see this thing going to the crusher so i had to bring it home. im taking my camera today to get some good pics of it so far all the pics have been cell phone pics.

Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for any questions you have and the guys love sharing their knowledge. Having all the trim is a big plus as it is often the most difficult thing to find. Mechanical parts are readily available. Good luck with the project.

I guess it would be a clean up and then an inspection of the condition of the major run go and stop stuff. Brakes up to snuff, engine have compression on al cylinders, steering and suspension components up to snuff.

If the engine isn't stuck, it will likely have stuck valves from sitting. The brakes on these are always an issue. If it look like they need a total rebuild you might want to consider swaping for front disc. As the cost to rebuild the stock system will be the same if not more than the up grade. Member Old Daddy of this forum makes an adapter kit if you want to go this way. The fluid drive while a near bullett proof thing only works when the system has the proper fluid filled to the correct level. Since MOPAR fluid isn't available any longer most folks find that SAE 10 Tractor hydraulic fluid is a reasonable replacement. You will find the parking brake is on the end of the transmission, Simple to get repaired and a must to have operational for fluid drive vehicles.

Cars are pretty straight forward and well engineered, having more upscale mechanical features than their contemporaries from Ford and Chevy.

But get her runing and stopping, and then go from there.

the truck is lowered, srt hood, shaved antenna and tailgate handle. ive also added billet gas door and 3rd brake light cover which i painted to match. other than that its stock. heres my other truck i play with its a 1997 nissan hardbody. this truck has airbag suspension and 4 link rear set up.

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

the nissan is completely torn apart right now getting some frame work, a body drop (channeled), chop top, suicide doors, some custom bodywork, one off bed floor, and a 327 chevy v8

I conclude some of us old 'farts' never learned how low one could go. :D Nice looking trucks, you certainly have automotive skills I cannot even imagine. Will be watching to see what you do with that car.