Fuel Tank Drain Plug . . .

Can someone tell me what tool fits these drain plugs? My plug appears to have an eight-sided female indent for whatever tool is required. A 9/16-inch bolt head fits inside this indentation and a 5/8-inch is too big. I have Allen wrenches that size but they are all uniformly six-sided, just like bolt heads.

Has anyone successfully confronted this issue? Can you share your wisdom?

Thanks

Are you guys mebby confusing your differential drain plugs with the gas tank? My truck is a 48, and a 5/8-inch bolt head spins freely inside this plug indentation. Like Ed says, it is 8-pointed in nature. Now if I only had something square that was tough enough to loosen that plug . . . .

My B3B stock gas tank plug can be removed with a 1/2" socket bar. The plug is an 8 sided female recess and the socket bar is a square male insert.

If a 1/2 drive breaker bar or ratchet is too small, try the 3/4 breaker. At one time I believe a 5/8 size breaker was also available. Adapters and square male drive sockets are avail. A chunk of keystock long enough to go full depth into the plug plus enough to weld a big nut to can be made to work also.

Obviously the earlier B series trucks had a different plug than most of you are finding on the later series. 3/4-inch socket extension fit right in. Thanks for the reminder.

Now if I can just break this sucker loose - mebby I'll have to warm it up with the bluenose wrench, what . . . :eek:

He's got too much cribbing for me. I'd have one piece holding the truck up so that when the tank blows it comes down fast and gets it over with-I'm not one for lingering pain. Mike

Wow!

That Merle Coggins sure is a WWWRRRASCALLY guy. Didn't know you could work in those conditions and still ride a Gold Wing.

Thanks Merle, for the thought.

Actually I pumped my tank dry with my new 6-volt Carter fuel pump - took ten minutes with a full tank - and pulled it this a.m. Once we got the extra gusset piece that's spot welded across the front of the tank off, it was badly rusted throuh just above the seam. Tank is at the welding shop as we speak - I write - whatever. I'm anzious to get it back in and going again, so I can finish up the interior and a few other little items and put some MILES on it.

My goal is to drive it to Macungie for the truck show on June 15 amd 16th. Coming, Mr. Fowler?:)