Pedal Draft Seals

In my "Interiors" thread someone brought up the question of brake and clutch pedal draft seals. I've been thinking about these too, so I thought I'd start a new thread about them.

I purchased these a while back, and can't even remember where I got them now. Maybe Roberts?

P3170980.jpg

Every time I think about installing these I worry that they won't stretch over the pedal pads. The only other way to install them would be from the bottom up, but that would mean removing the pedals. I'm kicking myself for not puting them on when I had the pedals off to redo the bushings. I had them at that time, but my CRS kicked in. :rolleyes: I really don't want to remove the pedals again. Has anyone had experience with these pedal draft seals? Will they stretch over the pedal pads if soaked in hot soapy water?

Merle

Merle;

I suspect the draft seals you have pictured are for cars not trucks.

The car pedal foot piece is bolted on and removale. The draft seal

is installed below the floor board and it travels up and down with

the pedal as pictured. Not sure what trucks use but I suspect it

is different than cars.

cl19.jpg

Yes Don, the pedal seals work the same way on the trucks, but the pedal pads are not removable like on the cars. The seals will have to be stretched over one end or the other. I thought that maybe the trucks didn't use them, but they are shown in my parts manual.

Merle

Merle,

If you can't remove the pedal pads, how would you replace the rubber on them when it was worn out. On the cars, the rubber is vulcanized onto the metal backing of the pad. Then that is bolted to the pedal as shown in Don's picture without the pedal pad. To get my new draft seals on I slipped the seals over the the top after removing the pads. Had to stretch the seal to do it. Then slid the seal down to the floor and stuffed it through the hole in the floor for the pedal shaft. Those seals should be real flexible, especially if new. Mine were, but I got mine from Steele Rubber.

Well..........I'm not into trucks that much and have never looked that close at the old trucks. Most modern pickups today have a rubber covered pedal. So..that's what I based my reply on. I don't know if you can get that draft seal to stretch that much over those pads without breaking it. But.......it seems like there has to be a quicker, easier way to get them on than removing the shaft to do it. Or, at least there should have been.

He's forgiven. I think I have seen an aftermarket covering that slips over the whole pedal sorta like a more modern car/truck. It gets kinda tricky if you've ever driven one of these when your shoes got wet from rain etc.

Well..........I'm not into trucks that much and have never looked that close at the old trucks. Most modern pickups today have a rubber covered pedal. So..that's what I based my reply on. I don't know if you can get that draft seal to stretch that much over those pads without breaking it. But.......it seems like there has to be a quicker' date=' easier way to get them on than removing the shaft to do it. Or, at least there should have been.[/quote']

I agree with that Norm. If you have to remove the pedals to do it that would make it quite a pain. You either have to crawl underneath or remove a bunch of the floor. Wrecks your clutch adjustment too.

If the rubber is new and not brittle, and you heat them with the soapy

water thing, and maybe even a hair dryer or something, they might

have enough give. The pedal pad size looks from the pictures to be a

little smaller than on a car. Once they are onto the pedal shaft, then

ya gotta poke them thru the hole in the floor so they're on the underside

of the floorboard.

I made my own draft pads by going to Lowe's home center and finding

some rubber washers with a large enough center hole and outside

diameter to cover the floor opening. They are round, not rectangular,

but they cover the hole. The process for getting them where they

need to be would be the same for you. (mine is a car, so the pedal pads came off)

Merle-I used the same ones shown in Don's picture.. Armoralled them up and slid 'em over the pedals. Bought mine at Roberts-they didn't tear. They go on the underside of the floorboard so that they make contact when the pedals are not depressed. Keeps the cold winds out of yorur pantlegs until you step on the clutch or brake! Mike

What rubber pedal pads?

P8160003.jpg

What rubber pedal pads? ---These Dodge truck slip over rubber pedal pads for soft foot pansies like me!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

You guys are a real hoot! Pedal pads are surely not draft seals - even in Wisconsin, where nearly anything is possible. Merle, just lube those draft seals up with Go Jo and use a #3 phillips screwdriver to pry them over the metal pedal - they stretch right on. I had the same fears you mention, but if you follow thie advice, you'll be done in five minutes and will laugh at the exercise - no sweat at all. Of course, it works best with the rubber pedal pads removed. Better tell Norm . . . . . .:eek:

Interesting. My 1933 has non-removable pedals too and I could not figure out how to get the pad over the pedal or even over the shaft end with out tearing them. So I sliced them with a shop knife, put them around the shaft and used contact cement to glue them back together.

That was a number of years ago and now the draft seals are falling apart so it is time for new ones.

From what I hear on this thread I guess it is possible to work new draft pads over the pedals if warmed up and properly lubricated. I would not have thought that possible but who am I to argue with the success others have had solving the same problem.

Merle,

Yes, they will slip over the pedal all it takes was copouis amounts of vaseline. I couldn't believe that they would strech that much but they did because after Grey Beard described pulling the pedals after the cab was installed, I was determined to pull them over.

I need to do it again because now one is completly gone.

Dennis

So did you hear about the newly wed couple who didn't know the difference between vaseline and putty?

All of their windows fell out....

Where'd you get those?

Got 5 of them at a garage sale for $2.50. couple years ago.

• 1 year later...
In my "Interiors" thread someone brought up the question of brake and clutch pedal draft seals. I've been thinking about these too, so I thought I'd start a new thread about them.

I purchased these a while back, and can't even remember where I got them now. Maybe Roberts?

P3170980.jpg

Every time I think about installing these I worry that they won't stretch over the pedal pads. The only other way to install them would be from the bottom up, but that would mean removing the pedals. I'm kicking myself for not puting them on when I had the pedals off to redo the bushings. I had them at that time, but my CRS kicked in. :rolleyes: I really don't want to remove the pedals again. Has anyone had experience with these pedal draft seals? Will they stretch over the pedal pads if soaked in hot soapy water?

Merle

Merle,

Just wondering if you installed these since you posted this a while ago?

I just bought a pair from Roberts and I'm getting ready to install them.