new guy new car

speedyshark

Hey guys and gals. My name is James and love the site. Lots of info. and sure it will be lots of help. More than likely I will be picking everyone's brains from time to time. I have just purchased a 1947 Dodge D24. It is in good shape and all original. The interior is in bad shape but the frames are there. Car came with a chaise from a '50 Meadowbrook I believe that has a flat head six like the D24. Rust not to bad floor pan areas and some spots on trunk lip. Body has small areas behind doors. Now just need to figure out how to get her. What you all think? any suggestions on a name?

1f41311g83k03p13ld8c7ef4c4b734a9f17.jpg

1191f91323m73p73o88c717a2456757cc1e.jpg

1181f91373m13o93l58c7d7dc2dae782a10.jpg

yes the car has fluid drive.Hope when I pick it up will get more info. The bad is the brakes on the coupe do not work but the ones on the chaise do, so I guess I will swap all the brake stuff and try to get the motor running. still has the 6volt so will see how bad the wiring is if I need a new harness and go 12volt or keep and fix the 6.Any one have any extra dogdish in good shape? I think only one id banged up and the rest no to bad. Will aslo be looking for grill parts. some are dented and will see if they will straighten out or find good straight ones. I guess will know more once she is home and I can go though her thoroughly.

Looks like a solid car. First item of business for a fluid drive car...when the engine is not running, there is no physical connection between the engine and transmission. As such there is no engine braking when parked. You must have the parking brake on or the wheels chocked when parked on a grade. If you don;t have it blocked, your neighbor may aquire your new car.

Fluid drive is a unique drive system. It is basically a three speed standard transmission (unless it is a gyro matic) mounted behind a fluid transfer mechanism. The dry clutch mounts to a fluid driven surface. Unlike an automatic there is no torque multiplication, it is merely a fluid transfer.

Think of two fans facing one another, you power and turn on one, and the air flow will turn the second one, you clutch is powered by the second one.

The system provides the ability to drive the car while in any gear without using the clutch. When the brakes work they will overpower the fluid conection, so you can drive around in third gear using just the brake and gas pedals. Acceleration is leisurly in this type of driving. You can also drive it like a ormal three speed. It was Cryslers way of competing with early automatics. Its a great system for folks learning to drive a standard as it is impossible to stall the car.

Welcome to forum. In reading your posts, I am guseeing you got an extra frame (chaise meaning chassis) and have parts to swap from one to another.

Another thing, MOPARS use left threaded lug nuts on one side to hold the wheels on. For the life of me I can't remember which side is which. but I think the pass side is righty loosey, and lefty tighty. So if you cant get them to loosen one way, try the other. You will also need a heavy duty hub puller to service the rear brakes. Much discussion here regarding that so you may want to search the forum for rear brake threads.

There is a great deal of information on the main site that hosts this forum, you will do yourself a favor by reading it. Just hit the return to P15-D24 button in the header panel of the forum main page.

Welcome and good luck with your Dodge. Lotsa folks with plymouth coupes but Dodge folks have been quiet for a while.

Unless the car has been messed with the left hand thread ones are on the drivers side. But the drums can end up on the wrong side of the car. So look for L and Rs on the bolt heads.

Unless the car has been messed with the left hand thread ones are on the drivers side. But the drums can end up on the wrong side of the car. So look for L and Rs on the bolt heads.

Yup. Left hand threads on the left side of the car (directions when in driver's seat of course).

Phil

Cool Will more than likely keep the six for a while. By the way do you guys think this is a good deal? Have not piked up the car yet so just wanted to see what you all think? The interior need to be completely done as only the seat frames are there, but the rest of the car is all there and original. I am thinking That I could get a running in decent shape car for around 3k. I will do most of the work my self. Just wanted to see what you all think.

Do I think you got a good deal? By the time you include shipping,I paid $1500 for a rust bucket 42 coupe that hadn't been started since 1974,and the none of the trim that wasn't missing was usable. What does that tell you?

Well got the car home today. Man put her and the extra rolling frame in a 40' enclosed trailer just fit, what a trip (3hr round trip) D24 did not have brakes so was fun loading and unloading.She is a sexy girl sitting in the garage. just want to pull up a chair and sit and stare at her:D . Will post pics soon. Noticed the radio was missing the tuner dials and station strip is there, but push buttons gone. So will be keeping an eye out for one. also looking for trim strips on both fenders and some grill parts, and Dodge script on hood.( they are there but dinged up) will look for couple of hubcaps too.

First order will be cleaning her out and see what I got to work with. Next get brakes working, then see if engine will turn by hand. Before I try to turn her over will go through wiring (PO said he thinks it needs new harness) if the case might go to 12v. The seats need to be redone and hope she will be on the road soon. At least as soon as my money lets her get back on the road:rolleyes: Let the fun times begin:eek: