Custom AirCleaner

belvedere666

I decided, based on another thread i found, to make an air cleaner out of a hubcap. someone gave me the '51 hubcap and i had no use for it otherwise.

figured i would share for those of you that want to move away from the oil bath for whatever reasons.

i like the look with the bubble top hubcap. it still, to me anyway, looks like it works with the P20. I don't like the small 4" cleaners and the 14' air cleaners are just WAY too big. Don't like the flat chrome top on most aftermarket air cleaners either.

* 9" air cleaner from ebay.  $21.95 with free shipping. fit a 4bbl carb

* air cleaner adapter from ebay $4.95 with free shipping.

* carb adapter from Mike's Carburetor Parts $37.95.

price is a little steep for this carb adapter, but with that Ball and Ball carb with the lip on it, i couldn't find an air cleaner that would fit unless it was an oil bath, which i was looking to move away from. it does require a longer screw at the clamp. i used the one from my oil bath cleaner with a nut at the end.

* hardware store 14-20 coupler, lock washer and threaded rod $1.55 (will use thread lock until i can spot weld the coupler to the threaded rod.)

For a total of $66.40 i was able to "make" an air cleaner that i like.

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

air%20cleaner%20snip.jpg

adapter.jpg

adapter%202.jpg

Edited by belvedere666
added photo
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, The Dr's In said:

The Air cleaner is very nice, and I especially like the Plymouth Mayflower on the top. And, as for the radiator hose – I too wondered about that . . .  Hmmmmm . . .  Thx.

Radiator hose:

i attached an overflow bottle. It wasn't airtight but I guess it was tight enough to create suction. I was just using it to catch the puke till it found its level.

i have another hose with the metal coil in it but it's a hair too short. I'll be redrilling the holes in the radiator to slide down the bracket a little and replace the collapsed hose.

Here is what I understand about collapsed radiator hoses ;   It is the bottom radiator hose that has the coiled wire to keep it from collapsing and the way to tell if it is collapsing is to rev the engine and look at the hose . The top hose doesn't need a coiled wire . I don't know why your top hose is collapsed . 

18 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Here is what I understand about collapsed radiator hoses ;   It is the bottom radiator hose that has the coiled wire to keep it from collapsing and the way to tell if it is collapsing is to rev the engine and look at the hose . The top hose doesn't need a coiled wire . I don't know why your top hose is collapsed . 

Because it was under pressure. Before I added the overflow it wasn't collapsed. The overflow didn't allow as much air as I thought it was going to. So it created auction. I opened the hole a little to allow more air.

9 hours ago, rb1949 said:

Clever recycling helps a lot. Just don't use a rare expensive cap. Glad to see others that don't have pristine engine compartments.

My engine compartment needs A LOT of clean up. I'm just working out all the kinks and then I'll worry about cleaning it up.  Which will probably cause a few more kinks because things will have to come off. I don't want it pristine by any means though. I like the "rough" unfinished look. Not into Pristine show car types.

DonaldSmith – specifically to you: I really love that you were able to alter the oil-bath air cleaner, use a dry element, all while retaining the original appearance. Would you be willing to provide specifics pertaining to the process you utilized? Now, a couple of questions: 1) what was the impetus for deciding to stop using the oil-bath feature; and 2) finding a metal coffee can-top may be abit of a task these days . . .  Thx.

Response to The Dr's In:  IT's been quite a while since I modified the air cleaner.  It seemed a hassle to maintain it, and besides it was leaking oil,

I clipped out all the metal mesh. I remember that.  I couldn't find any photos.  The bottom of the air cleaner element fits tightly to the shell, but the top didn't.  Thus the inverted coffee can bottom, with the sides cut back.  Kroger sells coffee in a metal can. 

Air cleaner Fram CA6370.JPG

3 hours ago, The Dr's In said:

Don Coatney – specifically to you: what’s the copper-colored canister on the upper driver’s side? If I had to hazard a guess, I’d guess it’s a vacuum canister, but I’m not going to guess for what.  Thx.

It is a vacuum reservoir to keep the windshield wipers working better when accelerating.