ammco brake shoe grinder

DJ194950

Well, maybe not my best decision but-

I bought a good running 1960,s model 8000 brake shoe grinder today from a shop that's shutting the doors after 50+ years in business. The current owner bought the bus. about 40 years ago from his father.

The machine still has the original tags from ammco on the motor warning and a factory deliver tag dated 1966.

Also came with dust collector option parts with extra bags!

Question-

What have you guys paid to have to have your shoes ground to fit??

Option 1- I may do this service for others

Option 2- clean it up good and sell. Either way will buy the manuel for it- they are avail.reasonable

Pics if any interest-- just general interest, or to buy.

Your thoughts??

Tks,

Doug

Tod you'll be the first to know if I do decide to sell.

Hoping others will respond with the cost of having this done as it could be a small extra $$ only useful.

There is still another brake grinding tool that also has the shoe rivetor on a cast pedelstal and this is old!! Just a conversation piece for someone with lots of room. Price unk. but would guess very reasonable. In Modesto, Ca.

Doug

Lets see some pics of it if you have em!

Clean ammco machines are hard to find for sale. Most of them are worn out and pretty ugly looking. A lot of people are afraid of them too because of the EPA :lol:

Bob

Bob,

I got bought it yesterday afternoon and not even been blow off from the dust of years of a small room where it was last used.

This room had been kept quite clean on  the floors and wash hand area but the back bench where this was not so much.

The room was also the compressor room (2) and over the years the oil fumes helped the dust to get sticky on the tools on the bench.

So after a reasonable cleaning I believe it will look simular to the attached pics.

Also nice is that its 110v. and checked out fine before purchase.

I'll post updates as I go and pics.

Tks,

Doug

post-3654-0-44594800-1393451406_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-29357400-1393451418_thumb.jpg

I remember a brake job that my dad had done at sears on his 54 Dodge. I believe the charge for concentric contouring of new shoes was 2 bucks each. So 8 dollars of the 54 dollar total bill. new shoes, turned drums, one hardware kit (springs and clips) plus labor.

I remember a brake job that my dad had done at sears on his 54 Dodge. I believe the charge for concentric contouring of new shoes was 2 bucks each. So 8 dollars of the 54 dollar total bill. new shoes, turned drums, one hardware kit (springs and clips) plus labor.

8 bucks for four, don't think I'd want to work quite that cheap!, maybe $30?? That's mostly to recoup my expenditure. Not sure yet about a possible price as I'm awaiting the op. mamuel I ordered. It's coming from Minn. so it might take weeks with the weather. :huh:

As promised ipcs of the brake shoe grinder attached. Cleaned up to best still used appearance.

Patina'ed as Paul would call it.

Also some brake drum measure tools also bought this week.

Thanks

Doug

post-3654-0-92512800-1393976616_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-06195100-1393976641_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-27587200-1393976660_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-16539100-1393976680_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-17402700-1393976715_thumb.jpg

post-3654-0-33878600-1393976787_thumb.jpg

That looks like a really nice clean machine!

Ya know you can check the machine for arc radius accuracy and you probably should. Do this by setting the drum size setting to 6". Then Zero out the end dial. Now look for the .185" hole above the drum size guage plate. Insert the pin or a drill that accurately fits the hole. It should go all the way down through the machine. If not there are set screws on the end dial knob you loosen to set the knob at zero while the pin is fully inserted into the hole.

The OE ammco spindle drum sanding belts are really tough to find. Someone I think is selling a replacement though.

I don't use the bag as it is a dusty mess to deal with. Back In the day you were to replace the bag constantly-at least the 1978 owners book stated this.

I let my machine blow the dust into the woods as there is lots of that around here. I don't want any dust in me or my shop so aim the bagless machine into the brush next to the shop when using it. The Lilac bush now never blooms :eek:  

Bob

post-302-0-99177500-1393978977_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-40516800-1393978989_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-31500100-1393979000_thumb.jpg

Bob thanks for the info!

Will check tomorrow about the adjustment for sure and I hope this one does have it. I took that part off to clean and oil up the moving parts so I'm sure an adjustment is certainly needed!

Doug

Bob, found this friction disc change-over coversion on - frictionworksllc.com. to use std dia. roll discs? Not sure yet but appears easy to make your own adaptor. Special sized frictions ?drums?

When on their site, click on ammco- pics show the changeover.

Will check out more soon!

Tks again,

Doug

Doug,

I was lucky to find a NOS box of 10 ammco sanding belts for my machine. They last if you take .005 max cuts each time!

Thats the site I have seen selling the sanding drum material.

There is a shop here in seattle tthat charges$3.00 a shoe to arc them BTW.

Ha!  Thats the same machine the guy used to arc mine today.  His had been repainted a different color blue, worked real nice.  I paid $25 for four shoes. 

Bob.

$3 a shoe with  a small shop that's been arround for years with an older owner?

Even back in the mid 70's a local shop in a small town close by that used to do this within a couple of hours all of a sudden it took a day or two sometimes. When asked why, the older owner said he was the only one to do them now as he could not ask any employee to be arround when he did the grinding himself as per Ca. epa rules so he did them after hours only to get arrond the rules.

Don't remember if he had Any kind of dust collection set up, probably not as he had done this type of work for many years.

He died from lung cancer I heard a few years latter. :(

Wonder if I spead the dust over (wearing a dust mask of course) over the yard weeds if I could permanently put away the Roundup? ;)

Don't tell the wife about why the licacs won't bloom!

Doug

The light duty truck and passenger shoe linings today do not contain any abestos. Large trucks well.... that could be different!  

I guess any kind of dust we breath today in excess can terminate a human  :eek:  :eek:       

We've all got to go some day. Fixin old Mopars is more important than life to me!

Sometimes HA HA :D

Have not mentioned yet--

The old shop shutting down as found out by me by a friend also had an Ammco 1750 brake adjustment tool in the room with the grinder I bought. As soon as I put my hand on it to examine the box contents I was told it was already sold! Damm! Stopped looking at it then and forgot about it.

Found out yesterday my friend was the one who had already bought it! He already had a very complete one he had never used. Damm again! I did borrow it to set the brakes on my 50 Ply.

Today he told me that he bought it for ME!

Probably tomorrow he will bring both his full set and the new purchase by here to see what missing and will duplicate missing parts as needed on his lathe. The major parts seemed to be there upon my quick look before!

Life can be sweet!

Thank GOD for a few good friends in life.

Doug

You have a really good friend Doug! We all need more friends like that.

Bob

You have a really good friend Doug! We all need more friends like that.

Bob

That's a fact. Even what I consider my oldest and best friend won't have given a tool worh that much! I saw today one recently sold on ebay for $460. Oh, ya, it is a complete setup! Box included even thought you can barely read the name thru the Greasy old handprints! Love it that much more, it was used.

Of course I could borrow it from my best friend if had it.

The friend that gave it to me does not go on ebay, but I told him a year ago when I borrowed that tool from him that it was worth at least $300 at the time. He said he'd never-never pay a price like that. Don't know what he gave for it but he did buy lots of small pieces from the seller.

Bob I looked today at the shoe grinder and do not see that adjustment hole to set the 0 on the micrometer so we'll see when I get the op. manuel.

Supposed to be here tommorow per USPS site.??

Doug

Here's the adjustment instructions out of the book Doug. Don't know why you have no 3/16" pin hole.

post-302-0-35811700-1394077561_thumb.jpg

Tod, You can always come up to SF and use mine...James

I'll remember that for the next time I replace the brake shoes. It will probably be a few years before I need new shoes, but nice to know of a fairly local offer.

Thanks!

Tod I am glad James offered that to you as I currently have decided that I'm not going to sell the grinding machine at this time.

Recently got a new operation manuel and dug out some old supposedly 48 Chrysler drums and shoes, 11" and tried the machine per the manuel.

All went well after a bit of head scratching and the shoes matched the drums perfectly. Slight high in the center and about .005" clearance at the leading and trailing edge of the shoes as per the manuel!  Damn did I get lucky or what!

Considering removing my drums and shoes form the 50 4 dr. and arching them as I could not get any Perfect setup even with the Ammco shoe adjustment tool (borrowed at the time). Arched like this with the adjustment tool would be S0 easy I think!

A few friends with contacts in the Model A and old F. clubs are letting it be known about my potential service-we'll see!

Doug

Tod I am glad James offered that to you as I currently have decided that I'm not going to sell the grinding machine at this time. . . .

. . . A few friends with contacts in the Model A and old F. clubs are letting it be known about my potential service-we'll see!

Doug

Don't let yourself off the hook too easy. Turns out I travel near Modesto on my way to the Sierra more often than I get to San Francisco. :)

Usually go CA120 through Oakdale but I could drop down CA99 to Modesto and then pick up CA108 fairly easily.

:) 

No problem if you come down to modesto! I only live about 1 min. off the freeway.

would be good just to meet.

See ya at Tim's BBQ ??

Plan to get there again this year. Been the last 3.

Doug

Tod,

Are you one of the the bay area people that come up to the sierra's and take the best camp spots in the Clarks Fork camping areas? (near the Dardenelles).

Particularly the Sand Flat campground?

Seems that about 75% of the campers there are from SF area and have been coming there for years. I first went there when a baby and last year with only a few missed years between!

Doug