I'm finally back.

casper51
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

I had to rejoin as I could never get through to the admin asking why my security question kept repeating when I answer the question. Pretty easy to know the mascot of my HS.  Anyway, drug out the 47 Dodge 3 window from winter storage and my headlights no longer work.  Tail lights and blinkers work fine.  Any tips on what to check first?  Switch, breaker or start at the head lights and work my way back?

IMG_1869.jpg

• Like 1

• Solution

The dimmer switch might have corrosion on the contact points. Press the dimmer switch several times to clean the contacts.

Check the fuse for the light switch might be blown.

Go to the headlight junction block and use a test lamp to see if you have current flowing to the connection block.

If you have power to this section then your lights might be toast. Pull a headlight bulb disconnect the wire connecter then test with a 6 volt battery charger to see if they light up. If they light up then check each connecter at the base of the bulb to see if you have current flowing to the socket.  Also could be a grounding issue or maybe the bulbs are bad.

Just basic diagnostic procedures.

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

My P15 had developed a habit of occasionally going dark between high-beam and low-beam switching which made me wonder if the switch was going to totally die soon. A really dark  road and the proximity of deer meant the car was more likely to pull this little trick. I replaced the dimmer switch and now the lights are reliable. I was pleased to see Rock Auto carries the switch in the Standard brand which is usually a good bet for aftermarket. I had to replace the old bullet connectors on the harness with ring terminals but that was a minor blip to get a new switch.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=445771&cc=1486874&pt=4340&jsn=390

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

I will agree with everyone ...... pull the switch in and out a zillion times to clean the contacts ...... I actually took my switch apart and cleaned it mechanically then greased it .... yanking it in and out many times will get the same outcome ..... same issue with my stomp starter .... not use it for awhile and it gets corrosion and fails to work .... stomp on it many times and it works again.

Same thing with a bad dimmer switch, it will cause many issues if it is bad .....  I'm not convinced it will improve with stomping on it  ..... If it goes bad it will be a issue.