Come on now

Sniper
Go to solution Solved by Ulu,

55 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

So, what's wrong with the old engine? 😅

GRRRR! 🥵 ...... I will see, I think @kencombs is correct in the oil pump failed. It does have a spun rod bearing I'm going to bet money on that.

You would think if the oil pump failed going 80 mph down the freeway, the oil light would come on, the rod then would start knocking, then the hammered bearing would spin.

What happened was, the bearing spun causing the motor to have to work harder, then the rod started knocking, then the oil light came on .... It is a mystery.

0122221732.jpg.a5d968bb4e28e4eecf0151d354f29457.jpg.a691ce1cac1f6661030eff723f533af2.jpg

This is the motor I'm pulling out and it did run perfect .... I'm still guessing it has 80K-100K miles on it .... these motors easily go 300K miles with some maintenance.

Just looking at the heat shield says something about mileage.

Here is the engine I'm installing, they claim it has 135K miles on it .... It will clean up fine, there is no oil leaks on it just years of dirt from sitting on a shelf.

Looking at the heat shield wants me to say .... she been rode hard and put away wet. .... The idler pulley is shot and needs replaced .... I just question now if it really is 135K miles on it. ..... They had another with 150K on it for $100 less .... I paid up and bought the lower mile engine.

IMG_20240319_175805.jpg.0b744a54f2e40815ce002a9a2be8cd1a.jpg

All I can do is hope & pray. I have all new hoses, water pump, coil, plugs, plug wires, crank sensor, cam sensor I'm using my intake and TB on it ..... All I need is a good engine to start with ..... and hope it goes well this time ..... you never know when dealing with used engines.

I still plan on total disassemble of the old engine and rebuild if I can .... keep it around for a spare ..... I should be pretty good at swapping engines in this car by then   :D 

• Like 1

Oh, sorry to hear that... I was expecting the good-old story about how the wife/daughter/brother in law/neighbor did not change the oil or had the coolant leak out, etc... I suspect that if an unexpected internal mechanical damage occurred (versus the wear & tear), it is already done by the time the engine looses pressure and you actually get the light and notice that it ain't right anymore 🙄

Did you do any tests to the replacement engine, or bought it unseen? I've got a replacement engine for a motorcycle, once, it was sold as NOS, had a 40-year old store receipt with it. Took the head off to check - the bores had OEM hone marks on it, so very good, indeed. Had a shop do some "improvements" on it, and they installed a used modified head (to increase compression) which turned out to have a broken valve stem sleeve, later on when I took it to another shop. So they basically screwed up a new stock engine 🤬

6 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

Oh, sorry to hear that... I was expecting the good-old story about how the wife/daughter/brother in law/neighbor

No it was all me  :P  The van has 187K miles on it, it was wife mother car. they were 2nd owners on it ... Mom died and Father passed it on to us.

The original owner had it repainted, Father took excellent care of it, has 20k on a rebuilt transmission, I replaced tires, shocks, struts, fuel pump .... has nice interior and cold AC. ..... The crank sensor went bad and I replaced it badly :)  This caused the original engine to explode while the wife was driving it .... 75mph and the rods came out of the side of the block .... she literally was in shock when she called me to come get her.

So my mistake got me on the path to installing a used engine .... might sound silly ordering new brakes and axle while still dealing with installing a 2nd junk yard engine ... does not matter, it was moms car and we love it and we are going to keep it. It is a 30 year old classic car and I'm going to keep it on the road.

Here is a dirty story I'm not ashamed to admit. Father is in his upper 80's ... and we hate each other .... our politics are opposite. But he has a problem with a 1962 Ford Galaxy

Grandpa bought it new, it is a beautiful survivor with red interior, white paint, 352 engine with a 3 on the tree transmission .... headers, dual exhaust, custom wheels.... But is original paint/interior/drivetrain .... and did I mention beautiful?  .... I want Grandpa's car.

Father has 2 houses, and a huge bank account .... 4 kids ... he says 2 kids are getting one house, 2 kids getting the other .... they are $250k each in today's market.

The wife and I do not care about any of it .... I just want to take care of Grandpa's car.  The son is so mixed up on drugs, he lives in one house and can not keep a job or pay the taxes on it .... Dad is pissed at him. .... The daughter is very well to do, but they are in to rock crawler jeeps .... The current jeep has a 2020 corvette drivetrain in it ... She was here last month and would not even look at my old 49 Dodge ..... Just not interested in classic vehicles. Sadly the other brother is mentally retarded and going to need all the help he can get .....

So if I can take care of mom's car and keep it like new ..... He just might trust me with Grandpa's car and keep it in good condition also.

We are not interested in the houses or bank account .... I just want to take care of Grandpa's car and nobody else in the family will.

8 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Father has 2 houses, and a huge bank account .... 

We are not interested in the houses or bank account .... I just want to take care of Grandpa's car and nobody else in the family will.

Well, if anyone in the family deserves the car, it is you and your wife! I hope when the time arrives that your wish comes true. I like the early 60’s Fords and have a ‘63 Ford Fairlane 500 myself. 

Good luck!

IMG_2110.jpeg.945f56ee0471a67316ac3e67e804b81a.jpeg

IMG_2111.jpeg.e6e6ac1f5fa985f616b7056d10b89bfd.jpeg

8 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I like the early 60’s Fords and have a ‘63 Ford Fairlane 500 myself. 

That is a beautiful car .... you understand. 

Grandpa was a weird bird .... Back in the 1970's when the car was 10 years old he pulled the heads on it and had them rebuilt. Then he filled the car with cardboard to protect the interior from the sun, then it was parked in the shade to protect the paint. ..... There was never anything wrong with the car .... Grandpa just put it away.

So Father did have to install the heads, go through the brakes .... Back in 1972-1973 there was a gas shortage, Grandpa went to town and got gas and filled every car on his 2 acres with gas for storage .... this tank was full and needed attention. .... It was in perfect condition at the time and he just kept it that way.

No where near as nice as yours, but it is all original .... has a few touch ups on the paint .... the interior has been massaged and is beyond excellent  .... Grandpa 2 acres looked like this ... Grandpa had a junk yard ..... but he put that Galaxy away and took special care of it. ..... Nothing left of the place now .... it is only Grandpa Ford that has survived.

I wish I had a photo of it ..... not as nice as yours, but it is really nice.

uncle2054.jpg.eb84abac62b86cbbf298c87516fa570d.jpg

A photo of the ‘62 would be nice to share but you have it in your head and that’s what counts. I bought my Ford in 1979 as a second car and it slowly became a keeper. Had the blue repainted in 1982 but the white is original. The paint is not as nice as it shows in the pictures but I never worry about it that way. Had the original 260 V8 engine rebuilt a couple of years ago. New seat upholstery but rest of interior is original. So a pretty decent survivor which has never been restored but had some work. 

I just feel selfish or needy for wanting that car ..... I just know nobody else cares about it .... Same time We never did get along.

I did date his younger daughter .... then I married his older daughter .... he never liked me then .... 35 years later he does not like me now.

I sure would like to see the car kept in the family.

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I just want to take care of Grandpa's car and nobody else in the family will.

How about you just ask the dad about it? Or, even better, ask your wife to ask him about it? Despite your differences, it sounds like you both want to keep the grandpa's legacy (the car). Concentrate on that fact. I suspect that it will be best if he can pass the title over to you/his daughter right now, as opposed to dealing with the probate and associated matters later on.

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

The crank sensor went bad and I replaced it badly :)

I've seen engine throw a rod, before, but am very curious - how do you install a crank sensor badly?

I agree with Ivan_B. Now is the time to do it. Maybe your wife can be the broker here assuming she’s willing. A straight up honest conversation, although at times awkward, is sometimes the way forward. You need the car, the car needs you. Carpe diem! 

22 minutes ago, Ivan_B said:

've seen engine throw a rod, before, but am very curious - how do you install a crank sensor badly?

The situation is, the crank sensor has a fiber washer glued to the bottom of it .... The goal is to install it directly on the flywheel and when the flywheel turns it removes the fiber spacer leaving the perfect 4K space to run the crank sensor ..... I was a idiot, I pushed the sensor in til it bottomed out, then lifted it 1/32" I felt better.

I admit it ran alright, but the crank signal had to pass through the fiber washer that was never removed as it should have been ..... then at high speeds the signal was so spotty that it could not keep the engine in time. ..... I learned my lesson on that one and first engine failure is on me.

28 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

A straight up honest conversation, although at times awkward, is sometimes the way forward. You need the car, the car needs you. Carpe diem! 

The guy is a straight up idiot .... The main thing he did in his life is hoard money .... He would never talk to anyone 30 years ago .... If I call today it is the same thing .... I will talk to the retarded brother that acts as a wall .... I could go on and on about how big of a ass*le he was .... Uncle has told me stories about when he was in high school, later when he went to work ...... Every time he went to a bar he would open his mouth and get beat up .... he stopped going to bars. .... He never stopped being a idiot.

As his son inlaw he loves to poke fun at me every chance he gets ..... wife & I actually lived with him while working through my disability .... He is a arse, he was born a arse, he will not talk to me or his daughter .... just take messages.

As he approaches 90 years old, his daughter or I will not feel sorry for him .... we are here if he wants to talk .... He never is interested .... I took his daughter and moved her 3K miles away from his abuse. ... Life goes on.

20 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I admit it ran alright, but the crank signal had to pass through the fiber washer that was never removed as it should have been ..... then at high speeds the signal was so spotty that it could not keep the engine in time.

Hm, not sure how an older FI on that Chrysler is setup, but I suspect that a bad crank would not cause engine damage on most cars. The ECU will probably sense that the crank is N/A and fall back to a default back-up running mode, giving you the check engine light. Just saying, I would not be so fast in admitting guilt here :)

Well in my case, I did not install the sensor correctly.

There is a cork gasket on the end of it .... the goal is to push the sensor down onto the flywheel .... then when you rotate or start the engine it wipes the cork gasket off the crank sensor and runs fine. ..... I just was a idiot and pushed the sensor down, then I lifted it 1/32" ..... that was the end of the first engine.

It simply was confused at 75 mph trying to time the engine through a cork gasket on the end of a crank sensor. ..... I needed to push it down hard so the spacer was removed and it had a correct gap. ...... I have a new spacer today ordered so I can use it on the new engine.  

image.png.154de3f5bfd6cff62b33c830ea3a830c.png