Cheap Engine Rebuild

RobertKB
Go to solution Solved by wallytoo,

My engine looked tired so I thought I’d give it a quickie rebuild. 

Before

IMG_5383.jpeg.92b052bdd8370d89c7e2b62437dc6bbd.jpeg

After

IMG_5389.jpeg.cf80aa7e12aa6b1015cbbeba2eb041bf.jpeg

Total cost approximately $1.00 CDN. ? As I said, it looked tired but even with 102,000+ miles it still runs just fine. I was changing out a water pump so I thought I’d take the opportunity to spruce the old girl up with a bit of silver paint. 

Engine is original to my ‘53 Plymouth. 

IMG_2011.jpeg.7f495d4eb395c5ac3613f0d2a9c9efbc.jpeg

IMG_2990.jpeg.0151b54aacd89371d0478b01113e815e.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Car and engine look great!  And wow, 102K miles and still running well.  I like hearing those kinds of stories.  Any significant work done to the engine since new (or since last rebuild)?

Anything special about the engine that has made it last that long?  I know some of these flathead sizes can go that many miles or more, but I also hear about a lot that don't.

• Like 1

Engine had a burnt valve at 72,000 miles. Valve was replaced with a good used one and the others were lapped. A set of rings were thrown in also after honing the cylinders. Bearings were right in the middle of specs and reused. That was over 40 years ago. I’ve owned the car since 1975. I change oil when it gets a bit dark and lube everything then also.

Paint is original to the car as well. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In the OT forum there are comments about the lack of content in the forums. Certainly not as much as there used to be. 

So, I’m going to try to be a bit more active. I will continue with my cheap engine rebuild thread (aka Tremclad/Rustoleum rebuild). LOL. A new fuel pump and water pump have been added along with new brushes in the generator. I even went to the great expense of painting my fan which was at least 50 cents. I spare no expense! ?

Next, recored radiator (that was expensive), new hoses, anti-freeze, oil change and lube job. Then wait for the weather to improve and put a few more thousand on the old girl. I’ll probably wear out before she does. 

IMG_5466.jpeg.1a686599ae942186cd761e1c0d7b7982.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg.734bdb3e682107e23a484fa39d29c934.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you clean the engine before painting? I am seeing something that should not be there below the water pump.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, Booger said:

Please get a new plug wire set with 90° rubber boots

What's wrong with his OEM (replica?) wires? 🤔

1 hour ago, Ivan_B said:

Did you clean the engine before painting? I am seeing something that should not be there below the water pump.

What's wrong with his OEM (replica?) wires? 🤔

I did not clean anything before painting. I didn’t go too far down as it becomes 70 year old grease. The head was amazingly clean and I just painted it. I did pull the plugs and put in an old crappy set and just painted around them. Everything is back together now and running fine. Changed oil, that’s why the funnel. 

IMG_5476.jpeg.5df83029db3da0092df7558650af76a3.jpeg

Not sure what you’re seeing. Only thing below the water pump is the front engine mount. I did replace the rubber part of the mount. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booger said:

Nothing wrong with it. Bump into it while it's running and your sweaty

Probably 10,000-15,000 volts running through the spark plug wires. I’ve had the experience of touching one. A bit of a wake up call is all. Old time mechanics would touch them to check for spark. It’s amperage that can kill you I believe.