Looking for the paper fuel filter that goes into the glass bowl.

Bern Pearson

I have an unmodified 1948 Plymouth. The glass fuel bowl has no filter element in it. I see where I can buy the entire setup including glass bowl. I'd like to just buy the paper element as I'm sure I'll be changing it soon as the carb and bowl where full of junk. I saw a guy changing the filter on YouTube. The paper element came out of an AC Delco box but I can't find the part number. Many thanks in advance. Bern

BerN:

go to ebay item: 1949-1962 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet Oldsmobile Carb Fuel Filter Assembly AC GF-48

The seller is from Neshanic station near Flemington NJ. He is a Buick Parts dealer. In the lisiting he states he has the paper filters.

Write to him if this is what you are looking for.  i use the same filter on my 1939 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thank you.  Will see if I can contact him tomorrow.  I bought a 1941 to 62 FN filter that looked like it might fit.  41-9360GF and it is a tad too tall and the gasket is a tad too small.  

Was wondering if I could just stuff the bowl with fiberglass.  My 1955 dodge had a similar bowl but a pumace stone carved to fit.  You simply took out the stone and cleaned it.  

Thanks again, Bern

AC's GF-48 interchanges to Wix 33034, Advance Auto 86034, Napa 3034.  Wix site gives dimensions

Edited by Dave72dt
correct Napa number
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

1949-1962 Buick Cadillac Chevrolet Oldsmobile Carb Fuel Filter Assembly AC GF-48

The seller is from Neshanic station near Flemington NJ. He is a Buick Parts dealer. In the lisiting he states he has the paper filters.

Write to him if this is what you are looking for.  i use the same filter on my 1939 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Annoying

why is my posting of a person that has the filter and the paperfilter Annoying to Mr Sniper.  So trying to help out a fellow member of the P15-D25 forum is annoying. Well i guess that any replay that Mr Sniper reads and or psots can also be annoying to other people.

So I will not take a break from posting and trying to help other people but only Mr Sniper can post questions and replies and that is perfectly ok.

Si if it is annoying then Mr Sniper should at least have the courtesy to state why it was annoying.  Good Night and Good Bye.

Rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

None of the filters listed by dave72dt are available.  I'm wondering if I can just stuff the bowl with fiberglass and make a new rubber gasket.  Obviously, I could buy a new glass bowl with a paper filter as there appears to be several available, but the plumbing would need alteration.  Also, although there is about five inches of rubber tubing before the line leading to the bowl where I could, by adding some length, put in a standard metal case filter.  Any thoughts on that?

Can they be ordered or are they discontinued?  There are also some metal inline filters that have a threaded end and hose nipple on the other.  Glass bowl units commonly came with a flat screen.  Even the screens are getting harder to find stocked in stores.

23 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

why is my posting of a person that has the filter and the paperfilter Annoying to Mr Sniper.  So trying to help out a fellow member of the P15-D25 forum is annoying. Well i guess that any replay that Mr Sniper reads and or psots can also be annoying to other people.

So I will not take a break from posting and trying to help other people but only Mr Sniper can post questions and replies and that is perfectly ok.

Si if it is annoying then Mr Sniper should at least have the courtesy to state why it was annoying.  Good Night and Good Bye.

Rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

Lol, yeah that's what was annoying.  ?

I suggest you get over it and look at what was quoted vs what was not quoted as being annoying,  Your a smart fella, you can figure it out,

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Lol, yeah that's what was annoying.  ?

I suggest you get over it and look at what was quoted vs what was not quoted as being annoying,  Your a smart fella, you can figure it out,

Hey Sniper I am very smart person, but your smart reply is not appreciated. Yes the seller is a Buick guy and sells Buick and GM parts. So what is the problem. The buyer was looking for a glass fuel filter that has the paper element. I currently have one just infront of my B&B carb on my 39 desoto.  Not a 100 point car and i do not care. I am a driver and look for functionality.  The [posting was to help the guy asking for information and i found the item on ebay and thought it might be what he was looking for.  It is his option to either go to ebay and look at the item an buy it or not.  But for some odd ball smacked butt reason you have decided the posting was an annoyance.  I know you have a lot of experience with these flatheads, but your negative comments are not appreciated.  So since you are the perfect person then i expect you to go out and put your self on the line to help other members of the club.  There is not right or wrong suggestions or opinions. everyone has the permission to post helpful links and info, but for some reason what i posted has put a bur under your saddle.  So be it but I can always look back and know that i might have lead the buyer to what he was looking for.  So next time then you post the correct answer at all times.

If you are complaining about the font, i copied the naming of the part directly from ebay and pasted the information. Since the fonts was already used the rest of the entry and wording used the same font.  So if that is your issue then i feel sorry for you that little things like this upset you so much......

I really do not care what reply you decide to post but this is a real stupid insult to me.

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure how this forum works.  None of the proposed solutions worked in my application.  I didn't want an entire new glass bowl with filter.  I decided to take  a 1941 to 62 FN filter that looked like it might fit.  41-9360GF but was a small amount too tall.  I put it between two flat plates and stuck it in a vice and reduced the height.  I then cut a new gasket from thick rubber and reassembled it.  I haven't tried it yet as I made a mistake reassembling the carb which I am trying to rectify now.  But it went back together fine, but without the screen which I couldn't make certain was centered so I left it off.  I also took a much larger filter from a Ford V8 and put it in front as I need to drive the car over to my lift and din't want to crud-up the glass filter.  If there's a problem with this approach I'll post it later when the carb s back on.  The inline can filter can catch much more than the little paper filter, so should work for a while.  Assuming, of course, the pump can draw gas through the extra resistance.

Thank you, everyone.

Bern

Bern: If you had read and also opened the Buick parts seller he also had those paper filters to fit the glass bowl. I use the same glas filter and the same paper filter on my 39 Desoto and it work perfectly fine. Yes the paper filter is not period correct but if you have a driver the object is tomake sure you have clean gas going to the carb, also most people would not even know if this is correct or not correct.

Rich Hartung

The Car Quest store at 1127 Orange Ave. W in Tallahassee supposedly has one ( 86034 ) in stock.  Your local Car Quest can probably have it shipped to them.

I put a Carter 2146397 filter on my B&B carburetor. The gasket was cracked, so I bought a Carter 30-82 stone filter and gasket. My filter has a short lower spring to hold the stone in place. I was getting fine particles in the float bowl that bypass the fuel pump bowl. I’ll flush the tank as soon as the weather permits. This is for my recently acquired 41 Dodge half ton that I drive daily. A picture and/or the make and model number of your filter housing would be beneficial. I saw a 18-7784 fuel filter and accessory gaskets that might work. It seems to have multiple applications and I suppose you need the spring to hold the filter element up, for a constant seal. 

• Like 1

I would also recommend using a stone filter instead. These Carter (and others) filters were sold aftermarket so it might not even be original to your car. I would research to see if your specific filter model can be fitted with a stone filter. If not, it would probably make sense to buy a closely related model that can. Unless, of course, you can find a steady supply of these old paper filters that no one uses anymore.

The stone filter is reusable :)

Do you also have a filter on your fuel pump?

Edited by Ivan_B