New Black Friday Tires - One Inch Wider

Bob Riding

Coker recommended tubes for my 1940 wheels.  I assume because the earlier (pre-war) rims didn't hold air as well as later designs that utilized "tubeless tires". From their website:

By the 1940's, several individuals and companies applied for patents for a tubeless tire design. While this didn't immediately succeed, a major milestone was reached by B.F. Goodrich in 1952, when it received the patent for a tubless tire. It was so successful that tubeless tires were standard on American vehicles just a few short years later.

The new tubless tires featured a different bead design, as well as a new butyl rubber compound formula that was more airtight than previous tube type tires.

Some of our bias look radial tires (Coker Classic 16-inch Radial and Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial) utilize a tube, because they are often used on Pre-WWII vehicles.

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

two years ago i had 5 tires removed from the rims, installed 5 new tubes, balanced and mounted for my 1939 600x16 tires at my local PepBoys store. They charged my $17.00 for each tire. They installed the Goodyear Airwheel tire with the ribs on the outside sidewall and they where also whitewall tires.

Rich hartung

That was then...this is now. Pepkids now charge $16.....just for balancing a tire. EVERYTHING has gone up the last two years.....

$110 for messing with four (actually eight tires...) tubed tires on old wheels is a reasonable fee per my experience.

Glad the "Coker selling 15 year-old tires" rumor has been put to bed.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

I'm rather off the topic here, but I recently bought new snow tires for my wife's car.  I had intended to buy them from the shop where I got them mounted on the rims and balanced, but there was considerable cost difference, so I bought them from Tire Rack.  (The guys in the shop didn't act mad, but I figure there's a higher price for the work if you bring them in from elsewhere, but that's understandable, and no problem for me.)

Anyway, my question has to do with the date codes.  I have no idea if the local shop would typically have newer, or older tires than an on-line place like Tire Rack.  Anyway, one of the the tires is dated for the first week of August 2022, and the others for the last week of August, 2022.  Does that sound typical, or do you all think I would have gotten more recently made tires at my local tire shop?  (We don't put a lot of miles on this car, especially in the winter, and I actually haven't put them on yet - have an extra set of wheels.)

Edited by Eneto-55
grammar errors

As Vinnie would say.  Forget Bout It!

?

DJ