Hi, I'm new to the P15-D24 forum

Malu

I'm in Manitoba Canada. I have just purchased a 1951 Dodge DG2-24 truck, it's a 1 ton in very good condition for it's 72 years. It has a flathead six engine, but not too sure what size it is, the engine & transmission (4 on the tree) works and runs, the truck has almost no rust, the chassis has been painted with black Rustolium oil based paint & seems to be in good shape. It needs new rubber all round & the drivers windshield is cracked, the interior is in good condition, both doors shut smoothly, I don't think the bench seat is original but it's in very good condition. It's got a flat bed which is completely rotten and I'm not sure if it originally came with a backbox. I want to keep the patina. I would like some advice on the 1951  Dodge from the forum. I'll put 4 pictures on for your perusal.

Dodge DG2-26 truck.jpg

Dodge DG2-26 truck-0.jpg

Dodge DG2-26 truck-1.jpg

Dodge DG2-26 truck-2.jpg

Edited by Malu

1 minute ago, Eneto-55 said:

Great to see you over here.  Welcome to the best old MoPar forum on the internet.

Oh, and nice to see the pictures.

Thanks Eneto, this is where I should be.

I just snagged this one a couple weeks because my son wanted it so took it on trade.....he will build this to what he wants...the ole man just did the locating and arranged delivery.    There is always a bit of excitement in a new find.....congrats....you going to have fun. 

65 dodge.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Oh my @Plymouthy Adams That reminds me of a favorite old truck of mine .... Paint it orange and will be perfect!

@Malugood looking project, your truck came with either a flatbed or no bed.

If you look at @Dodgeed truck it has running boards that go all the way to the rear fenders.

Yours go to the end of the cab. While it may not be the original bed .... or it could be, it never had a pickup bed with rear fenders. .... Unless the running boards were also swapped out.

Either way glad to see you aboard and hope to see more of it.

Welcome to the site. Solid metal and the painted chassis is a great start. The condition of the wood bed makes for easy removal. I just finished doing the wood bed on my 47WC and I started with a sawsall in the middle where you have a hole now. 

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I just snagged this one a couple weeks because my son wanted it so took it on trade.....he will build this to what he wants...the ole man just did the locating and arranged delivery.    There is always a bit of excitement in a new find.....congrats....you going to have fun. 

65 dodge.jpg

Nice truck, has he decided what he is going to do with it?

For the most part he has....the build is his...he does a few things differently than the old man...I advise only when asked....and then it is often not what he wants to hear...lol  The only rust that is not just a bit of surface rust in the drivers floor pan, likely I will do that fix before he carries it to his place.  This is just what I saw in my walk around of the vehicle.  Could be more but really not in the outer body...excellent bones as they say.  Poly block 318 with 4 speed floor shift, hydraulic clutch.   Though it looks like a 64, first couple months in 65 was carry over till the new body style came out.  Thanks for the inquiry

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

12 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Oh my @Plymouthy Adams That reminds me of a favorite old truck of mine .... Paint it orange and will be perfect!

@Malugood looking project, your truck came with either a flatbed or no bed.

If you look at @Dodgeed truck it has running boards that go all the way to the rear fenders.

Yours go to the end of the cab. While it may not be the original bed .... or it could be, it never had a pickup bed with rear fenders. .... Unless the running boards were also swapped out.

Either way glad to see you aboard and hope to see more of it.

Thanks Los_Control, the flat bed is not original because there is a welded angle iron 8' bed that the rotten wood is sitting on. I also looks like the wiring for the indicator lights have been extended. I would like to get it back to it's original bed but I'm not sure what size bed it had originally. I have been to see a 1950's Chevy bed but not sure it will fit. 

8 hours ago, Veemoney said:

Welcome to the site. Solid metal and the painted chassis is a great start. The condition of the wood bed makes for easy removal. I just finished doing the wood bed on my 47WC and I started with a sawsall in the middle where you have a hole now. 

Hi Veemoney, My bed is so rotten that I can just pull the wood off the screws no need for a sawsall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Nice truck!  I also have a '51 1 ton (but not a flat bed)!

4.jpg

Good morning Dodgeed, that's a very nice truck. I have a question, where does the spare wheel fit?

Just now, Malu said:

I'm not sure what size bed it had originally. I have been to see a 1950's Chevy bed but not sure it will fit. 

I think it depends on the wheelbase. My 1/2 ton is 108" I had a 3/4 ton that was 116" then the 1 tons?

I think a bed like ggdad would fit if you have the same wheelbase. And good luck finding one.

Another option would be to find 2 beds & lengthen 1 of them to fit your truck, do the same with the running boards and extend yours to fit.

5 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I think it depends on the wheelbase. My 1/2 ton is 108" I had a 3/4 ton that was 116" then the 1 tons?

I think a bed like ggdad would fit if you have the same wheelbase. And good luck finding one.

Another option would be to find 2 beds & lengthen 1 of them to fit your truck, do the same with the running boards and extend yours to fit.

Would this be the full length of the truck?

I would like to ask the forum is the 1951 Dodge DG2-26 1 ton truck have a 218 or a 318 or neither? Thanks for any help you guy's can give me. Also would it be possible to rebuild the carb and where do I get the parts.

Edited by Malu

Just now, Malu said:

Would this be the full length of the truck?

The wheelbase is measured from the center of front axle to center of rear axle. You get a buddy to hold the tape measure in the center of the wheel bearing dust cover, then drag it back to the rear axle and eyeball the center of it ..... That will be your wheel base.

I know a little bit about the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton trucks but nothing of the larger trucks.

I imagine they have a standard length for the 1 tons that get a pickup bed. .... Did they change for flatbeds? Was it a option to order the longer length? I have no clue.

I saw this photo today on facebook, I know nothing about it .... obvious they have stretched the bed and sitting on a different frame. The fenders and running board just sitting on blocks for mock up ..... I'm only suggesting you could build your bed to fit your truck, but use stock frame, stock fenders .... make it look like it came that way.

No photo description available.

The engines can vary, possibly a 24" motor or a 25" motor .... many have been changed over the years & no longer original.

On the drivers side of the engine in front is a stamped pad above the soft plug. That number should tell you the year and size of the engine.

Go here to this site and look up the number you have.

https://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

IMG_20231002_161511.jpg.b5583b0cca7fe6cd52309e7a0fb5835a.jpg

The carburetor number is stamped on a angled piece on top of it. Easy to spot. You can get a rebuild kit for it at many places, ebay, amazon, rockauto .... pick your choice.

Mikes sells some good stuff and he puts out a good video of how to do what you want to do.

It looks to me (from your pictures, and from what you said about the tail light wires having been extended) like someone extended only the bed, w/o changing the wheelbase.  (That would obviously be a much more complicated task.)  I don't really know, but I would have assumed that all 1 ton trucks were either flat beds or stake beds, like a grain truck.  (Back home we also always made a distinction between 1/2 & 3/4 ton PICKUPS and 1 or 1 1/2 ton TRUCKS.  Around here, there are lots of smaller roads that have signs posted "No Thru Trucks".  The guys with Pickups have 'trucks' until they see one of those signs.  Then it's a pickup, thank you.)

19 hours ago, Malu said:

Good morning Dodgeed, that's a very nice truck. I have a question, where does the spare wheel fit?

the spare goes under the bed

5.jpg