1934 Plymouth PE Deluxe brake drum return spring(s)

Mac McFarland

I finally got around to attempt to fix everything on my 34 coupe.  I have replaced all wheel cylinders and brake pads.  On one wheel, there was an incorrect spring...MUCH to strong for that vehicle.  I have searched for a replacement, but can't really find any.  I DID find a set of 6 that 'looked' similar, but cost $50 USD.  Didn't want to make that purchase for two reasons...too expensive (as I only need one) and unsure if they would fit.  Does anyone know where I can obtain ONE brake drum return spring to fit a 1934 Plymouth PE Deluxe coupe?

(I can remove a 'good' one and take a picture of it if it would assist in identifying one.

If we are talking about the brake shoe return spring, Plymouth used part number 301477 for almost all applications from 1929 through 1942 (exceptions being the 7 passenger and limo versions of Plymouth) so there are likely a bunch of possible sources.

Following up on the Bernbaum suggestion, the illustration show at https://www.oldmoparts.com/parts/g_service_brakes/brake-return-springs/ looks pretty close.

TodFitch...actually, that spring does not look quite like the ones I have on the vehicle...I'll take a picture later (today?) and attach.

Soth...that spring also is not look like it...(i'll attach an image I found on the net that is really, really close, if not exact).

Ivan...yes, tried eBay...found the same as the picture attached...45-50 USD for set of 4.  But these look oh so similar to the ones on my coupe.  Just expensive.

brake return spring.JPG

Is this picture what you are looking for?

This is same as my 1949 truck .... but they have different lengths. ..... If that is correct style also need to know correct length you are looking for.

I think I know this, because when I went through my brakes I had one that was shorter then the others. I bought a modern spring correct length to replace it with.

While the short spring seemed to work, it was in the wrong hole & rubbing on the brake shoe .... I was not going to put it back together that way.

So I have a spring like this 6" long  ..... how long are yours?

brake return spring.JPG

well we will have to take it to pm .... I think we are getting into a gray area of the rules offering parts in the general section of chat.

We do not want to get the thread locked.

I just double checked & mine is exactly 6" long.

Same time it was not installed on the proper application & too short for me .... it is obvious the spring has been stretched slightly as 2 or 3 wraps are slightly wider then the rest.

I'm sure it started life as a 5.75" spring but with abuse it is now 6" It is filthy with grease & oil ..... I keep a bowl on the bench I throw random parts like this in and spray it with oil every so often. ..... Basically it has been sitting in oil for a year because too lazy to do anything with the muck bucket it is in .... I think thats good for a spring.

No question it is longer then it should be .... are you sure you would want to use it? I wonder what others think?

My thoughts, will probably work fine but will not have same tension as the rest of the springs.

IMG_20230903_160503.jpg.46e915787cbfb9e3240540c3388c3d1a.jpg

• Like 1

I sent you a message ..... Would be the envelope on your dashboard in the browser for this sight.

It should be green because you have mail from me ..... thats the first thing we need to accomplish.

Reply to that and we can carry on .... Just rules of the forum that business be done in a private manner and not in open forum.