Remote master cylinder reservoir

jsd245

Anyone use one of these? Any downsides? Seems

like you would just thread a fitting on the master cylinder opening, and attach a hose to a remote reservoir on the firewall. It's such a PIA to check the master cylinder fluid level I know I'm just not gonna do it often enough.  I don't think I have any brake leaks but it would be nice to monitor it easily. 

Yes , i put one on my truck and it works perfectly . My reservoir came from a VW bug in the junkyard and it has two outlets , so i plugged one of them . I put a barbed fitting with a pipe thread in the existing cap and ran a tube up top . One thing to be mind full of ;  The original cap has a very tiny vent hole in the edge that must be plugged , i used JB Weld . And the reservoir needs a vent too as the brake fluid is moved during operation and is briefly replaced by outside air . No downsides at all . You can tell the brake fluid level at a glance .  

20230627_194656.jpg

thanks. The existing cap is just 1/2" NPT so I will likely just use a different fitting there. There is someone out there making what looks to be a more period correct type- you;d have to open the top to check the level, but it looks like it belongs under a pilothouse hood. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304837200345?hash=item46f9b689d9:g:FngAAOSwal5YJf8r

1 hour ago, jsd245 said:

thanks. The existing cap is just 1/2" NPT so I will likely just use a different fitting there. There is someone out there making what looks to be a more period correct type- you;d have to open the top to check the level, but it looks like it belongs under a pilothouse hood. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304837200345?hash=item46f9b689d9:g:FngAAOSwal5YJf8r

123 bucks!   For an empty PVC pipe glue can, a few stock fittings and a piece of hose?   Lots of ways to go if you don't like plastic.  I'd prefer stainless or aluminum tube with welded ends and screw in cap and lower fitting.   Nicely polished of course.   Not stock, but really more like what a car guy would have used in the 60s or so.

Same technique and materials make a nice radiator overflow if using a pressurized system.

• Like 1

I am also looking to install a kit. Any part numbers for a fitting to be used instead of the master plug?

Plastic reservoirs are available in different varieties. The EZ fill does look like a glue can (because this is probably what it is). There seems to be better "vintage-like" options available: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/lc-fabrications-universal-remote-brake-fluid-reservoir-brass-aluminum-vertical-or-horizontal-mount

I'll look around some more, or maybe even fabricate something myself, using a real vintage container. To make it really fancy, I can probably also use a real brake line, instead of the hose, between the master and the reservoir ?

Edited by Ivan_B

I was thinking of building a temporary remote reservoir for when I am bleeding the brakes. I’m down there at the wheel, and I have to keep getting up to top up the reservoir. This thread is giving me some ideas. 

• Like 1

For temporary use, you can probably just literally use anything with a hose you can attach to the master plug. Although, if you are already going through all the trouble, maybe it is better to make a permanent reservoir... I am mainly interested in having a transparent container to see the fluid lever (and its color) when I open the hood.

I'm probably overthinking it- my truck is not a show truck nor will it ever be. I actually use it. I've already put a 6v alternator  on it for convenience and had wheels made to get rid of the split rims so a plastic brake reservoir would not be the end of the world .

On 7/6/2023 at 9:44 PM, Ivan_B said:

I am also looking to install a kit. Any part numbers for a fitting to be used instead of the master plug?

Plastic reservoirs are available in different varieties. The EZ fill does look like a glue can (because this is probably what it is). There seems to be better "vintage-like" options available: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/lc-fabrications-universal-remote-brake-fluid-reservoir-brass-aluminum-vertical-or-horizontal-mount

I'll look around some more, or maybe even fabricate something myself, using a real vintage container. To make it really fancy, I can probably also use a real brake line, instead of the hose, between the master and the reservoir ?

On 7/6/2023 at 11:55 PM, keithb7 said:

I was thinking of building a temporary remote reservoir for when I am bleeding the brakes. I’m down there at the wheel, and I have to keep getting up to top up the reservoir. This thread is giving me some ideas. 

Just use a pressure bleeder. I'll never bleed brakes again without one. No need to top up the reservoir and easy one person bleeding. 

The beauty of a pressure bleeder is it replaces any fluid bled out. I find it particularly useful if I'm trying to flush/replace brake fluid and I want to make sure all the old stuff is out. 

Gravity  bleeding won't work on these trucks with a stock braking system because the bleeder nipples are higher than the reservoir . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 11:35 AM, jsd245 said:

The beauty of a pressure bleeder is it replaces any fluid bled out. I find it particularly useful if I'm trying to flush/replace brake fluid and I want to make sure all the old stuff is out. 

Gravity  bleeding won't work on these trucks with a stock braking system because the bleeder nipples are higher than the reservoir . 

right, it won't work on a stock set up.  but, i added a stand pipe from the master fill threaded opening to the top of the firewall (basically just steel pipe and joints to bend around things),  so, i gravity bleed my 1.5-ton, and have done so for over 10 years.  it works excellent.