1947 D24 Interesting Facts

SaberMike

Only the Hemi cars at the car shows get the attention.  So when you show a Desoto most people do not even know the name or even who produced the car.  Most people, spectators, are just looking at the Bling and Chrome in the engine compartment.

This all they know and that is what impresses them. I see the same cars basically Newer cars maybe 5 years old getting the prizes and trophies.  The car show organizors do not event put in classes for the older cars.  The hobby is a changen, but I still like taking the 39 Desoto to shows and trying to educate people about the car and to let them know that it is an American made car.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

Dylan had it right, the times they are a changing.................I will only attend a cruise in any more....no classes, no judging just good company from what is 95% the owners did their own cars....there are later model show up like the Whorvettes and Twangers but they automatically park further away and collectively amongst themselves....rather talk with a builder any day over that of a buyer...the little British car owners, a few show and that is always fun.  The local club however are 95% or better all check writers on buying a car or paying others to do the maintenance...hard to relate here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Dylan had it right, the times they are a changing.................I will only attend a cruise in any more....no classes

I always leave the hood up on the 47 P15 when I go to these gatherings.  One of the special effects on this car is the custom fabricated stick used to hold the hood open?. One of the springs is missing.  People will come by - look at that crusty old flat 6 engine and ask - does that run?  I usually respond with "it is running".  Or I'll tell them that I didn't push it there.  Always good for a laugh.  Then I walk around - reach in the window and hit the starter button and the old engine fires up in less than one revolution.

• Thanks 1

Wheels and rims question. The previous owner put massive tires on here. The rims are larger two but they have the right look. However as I get older it is harder and harder for me to turn the when at a stop or slow speed because of the tire size. Also other than the tire size the car is all original. I even still have the dodge hub covers in the trunk bi really think I want to go back to a more manageable tire size and really with white walls. I looked at Coker’s and they have nice looking tires but did t find factory original sized rims. What do you all think? The pictures are as she is today. She is still 6v pos ground and don’t want to change to a 12v and and power steering. Part of my love for the car is driving it as the original owner would have and having the same feel. 

16F30734-B4D0-40B0-B7AD-FAA78D95BF4F.jpeg

7AC7639B-57AA-4F80-84E9-F3CED03EF470.jpeg

14 hours ago, Doug&Deb said:

A 47 should have 16 inch wheels although I believe they switched to 15 inch late in the year. The 15’s are 4 1/2 inches wide and originally had 7.00x15 bias ply tires. I’m not sure about the 16’s. 

my 47 has 16 x 4.5" wheels and came with 6.00x16 bias tires (black walls), I'm told a very common upgrade was to go to 6.50x16 at the first set of replacement tires