windshield wiper motor

blue p15

59 minutes ago, Conn47D24 said:

I believe p15 Plymouth came with the vacuum type.

One book I have shows these apps.???

My P15 has vacuum.  I would like to find a good electric setup that will bolt in without major modifications, and I thought maybe the Chrysler motor would do that.

Newport Engineering makes an electric wiper that fits where your vacuum one is, but it requires 12v.  Electric wipers appear to have been an option for the P15?  If so and you need to stay 6v then you will have to go that route.  I wonder if French Lake Auto could set you up?  Not sure what all is different between the two setups, time spent digging through the parts book might help, unless someone here has already done it and can set you on the path. 

16 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Newport Engineering makes an electric wiper that fits where your vacuum one is, but it requires 12v.  Electric wipers appear to have been an option for the P15?  If so and you need to stay 6v then you will have to go that route.  I wonder if French Lake Auto could set you up?  Not sure what all is different between the two setups, time spent digging through the parts book might help, unless someone here has already done it and can set you on the path. 

I would like to keep the 6 volt.  From what I understand, even if you change to 12 volt, you cannot use the Newport setup if you have the original radio.

My impression is that the only type used in the P15 was the vacuum, but it's possible that there was an option.  If there was even a 12V one that would fit (w/o loosing the radio, as Blue mentions), then a person could rewind the motor for 6V.  Someone suggested in a recent thread that they were planning to install a vacuum canister.  I think that's what I will do if I can't get sufficient vacuum for it to work well.  What about installing an electric vacuum pump, 6V, of course?

My 39 Desoto 6 volt positive ground came with the factory installed electric wiper motor. This bolts up under the dash and then the linkage runs to the two wiper transmissions that connect to the wiper arms. It is a three wire system that runs from the wiper switch on the lower dash control and I use either a 10 or 11 wiper blade.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I believe the dodge DeSoto or Chrysler ones would bolt in or fit without much modifications. I grabbed I believe a dodge one way back for this very purpose but haven't installed it. Working behind the dash when you have the dual heaters is never pleasant. 

IMAG0373.jpg

• Like 1