what adjustment should I do?

JSabah

I removed and replaced the transmission on my P18 Special deluxe (3 on the column).  Now that it is back, I took it for a little drive and while in 2nd, it popped out of gear.  Is that a shift adjustment, or clutch - I cant imagine it is the clutch as nothing was touched and it was fine before.  If the shift, would that be the operating lever/rod, or the gear selector rod? Thank you, Josh

I am ASSUMING that when you wrote "and REPLACED......"  you meant "put the original transmission back into the car."

IF that is the case,it would almost have to be an adjustment problem with the rod going to the shift lever on the transmission. Lengthen it a few turns and try again.

IF you meant you put a different transmission in the car,it could be adjustment,or it could be a  worn transmission.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I am ASSUMING that when you wrote "and REPLACED......"  you meant "put the original transmission back into the car."

IF that is the case,it would almost have to be an adjustment problem with the rod going to the shift lever on the transmission. Lengthen it a few turns and try again.

IF you meant you put a different transmission in the car,it could be adjustment,or it could be a  worn transmission.

Yes, I put the original transmission back in. 
when you say “shift lever” do you mean #1 below which I believe changes gears or #2 which adjusts the gear shifter travel (I don’t recall see any nuts/adjustment on #2 ).

EBCC09DD-EABD-4F7A-B1D4-FCB1A2C19537.jpeg

most the time the adjustment at the end of the steering column and their rubber bushing get overlooked when setting up the shift linkage for proper adjustment and removing slop/play......if you changed you rear mounts, this could have affected the overall linkage interaction and cause for popping out of gear...often one needs a person doing the shift pattern while you are watching the travel of the linkage and operation of the shift levers...

I assume this had no issues before the R&R?

If not then it's probably an adjustment issue.

If you pulled it because you had the problem mentioned and it's still there, well I am thinking synchro.

8 hours ago, JSabah said:

Yes, I put the original transmission back in. 
when you say “shift lever” do you mean #1 below which I believe changes gears or #2 which adjusts the gear shifter travel (I don’t recall see any nuts/adjustment on #2 ).

EBCC09DD-EABD-4F7A-B1D4-FCB1A2C19537.jpeg

Yes,I mean number 1 in the photo. Been years since I paid any attention to those rods,but IIRC,they are all threaded with two nuts and you can adjust them and then lock them in place.

Best of all,it will cost you nothing but a little time to try it. Nothing to buy.