Gasket head identification

maxime

hello,

after opening the engine because there was a leaking valve i sent the cylinder head and manifold to the faceplate.  but i have a problem the engine id number is T143 and i cannot find a 25 inch gasket for my cylinder head.  do you have an idea?

thank you

Maxime

79E314F8-CF24-42C7-869D-4DCCE595F469.jpeg

AA4B45D3-2C6F-4F4F-B50D-9BFD59A724F8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, maxime said:

hello,

after opening the engine because there was a leaking valve i sent the cylinder head and manifold to the faceplate.  but i have a problem the engine id number is T143 and i cannot find a 25 inch gasket for my cylinder head.  do you have an idea?

thank you

Maxime

79E314F8-CF24-42C7-869D-4DCCE595F469.jpeg

AA4B45D3-2C6F-4F4F-B50D-9BFD59A724F8.jpeg

9AD86279-7678-4B7C-A6E6-6AC9520013C2.jpeg

A t143 engine is a 1948 Canadian 218 c.i. I have a Felpro gasket set, the number is HS 7256C. It is 25 7/16” long. So it’s the right one. It is copper on one side. 

13 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

A t143 engine is a 1948 Canadian 218 c.i. I have a Felpro gasket set, the number is HS 7256C. It is 25 7/16” long. So it’s the right one. It is copper on one side. 

Hello !
really great to have found the model in question so quickly!

I'll see if there are any other needs for me and I'll keep you posted!  do you have an online store?  thank you Maxime

Maxime.......my understanding is that as its a 25" engine it is based on the DeSoto/Chrysler version and any gasket set or individual gasket that is specified for a DeSoto or Chrysler 6 will fit..........when chasing a gasket or speaking to a parts supplier you will only confuse the issue if you state its for a Plymouth , just use the engine length and DeSoto/Chrysler as the type or engine mentioned..........andyd

6 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Maxime.......my understanding is that as its a 25" engine it is based on the DeSoto/Chrysler version and any gasket set or individual gasket that is specified for a DeSoto or Chrysler 6 will fit..........when chasing a gasket or speaking to a parts supplier you will only confuse the issue if you state its for a Plymouth , just use the engine length and DeSoto/Chrysler as the type or engine mentioned..........andyd

Good advice.  Or just use the part number provided by an ealier poster.  Most any parts store should be able to get it.

30 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

is the pic of your old gasket flipped?   It looks like the holes on the right end match the lower pic.

Hello, 

I just looked and it is in the same direction as the photo and in the game to find the errors, there is another hole in the gasket of the kit compared to mine.

Maxime

tempsnip.png

As time goes by the factory will make changes to things.  In those cases the aftermarket will generally make a one size fits all head gasket, which appears to be the case here.  As long as it has the holes you need the ones you do not will not be an issue. 

Looking at the two pictures it appears the lower left corner has an extra hole there to provide additional cooling around that exhaust valve.  The factory may have found an issue with cooling there.  As for the extra hole in the left center section, well that might be for the internal bypass later engines used.  Not being real familiar with the 25" engines these are guesses on my part. 

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

As time goes by the factory will make changes to things.  In those cases the aftermarket will generally make a one size fits all head gasket, which appears to be the case here.  As long as it has the holes you need the ones you do not will not be an issue. 

Looking at the two pictures it appears the lower left corner has an extra hole there to provide additional cooling around that exhaust valve.  The factory may have found an issue with cooling there.  As for the extra hole in the left center section, well that might be for the internal bypass later engines used.  Not being real familiar with the 25" engines these are guesses on my part. 

ok, so, if the hole exists on the gasket and not on the engine, it is not a problem (on the other hand the reverse poses a problem but it is not my case). Very interesting this discussion: P Thank you

I would suggest a dry fit of the gasket and a close look at these areas just to be doubly sure nothing will be a problem.  That is generally a good idea regardless.  I do that il all my gaskets because, sometimes things are not as they should be.

I'd have to see both the block and gaskets to be sure, but I think the gasket with the extra holes is an aftermarket made so that it can be installed without being concerned with the direction.  The original will only fit one way, the new will work either way.

23 minutes ago, kencombs said:

I'd have to see both the block and gaskets to be sure, but I think the gasket with the extra holes is an aftermarket made so that it can be installed without being concerned with the direction.  The original will only fit one way, the new will work either way.

Look at the top corners in the gasket pic, there is one hole not there.  Upper right has three holes, upper left only two.  I don't think they can be installed in either direction.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Look at the top corners in the gasket pic, there is one hole not there.  Upper right has three holes, upper left only two.  I don't think they can be installed in either direction.

That's why I said one would need to look at the block.  I think it will not have all the holes that the aftermarket gasket has.  The old one has fewer holes

edit:  it also will depend on the gasket design.  If it has dissimilar top and bottom material, it can't be flipped.  Copper would be fine.  Too many variables to say for sure without all the parts in view.

Edited by kencombs