Confusing Engine Block Code?

DodgyD14

Hello,

let me start off by saying I am a complete newbie when it comes to mopars and flat heads. This engine code is out of my D-14 dodge deluxe sedan ( I believe it is not the original engine as the block date is 7-18-47 ) Its head is labeled as P-1311810-5 and the picture below is of the block code, I think it says CPP-CAL-557 but that makes no sense in any engine code index I've checked. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

(It also seems to have the same block length as a 218ci flathead) 

46DEFBC1-1978-477B-AC70-6A9903EFE4C3.heic

Edited by DodgyD14

Your file did not open for me. But if the engine serial number starts with P13 I would suggest it is out of a 1949 Plymouth P13

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

Your file did not open for me. But if the engine serial number starts with P13 I would suggest it is out of a 1949 Plymouth P13

Apple strikes again.   It will open with W10 media player.  Apple was one of the first to adopt the HEIC format.

I think from the P in the head casting it is from a Plymouth originally. But that block code is probably from a rebuilder.  Could be a 218 or 230, depending on the crankshaft the rebuilder used.

• Like 1

The CAL suggests that it is a new number either for a rebuilt motor, or one swapped during the life of the vehicle.  Serveral national rebuilding chains like Jasper did so many of these they bought unstamped bare blocks from Chrysler and them stamped the according to local legal requirements.  

You can measure the stroke without tearing the engine apart by removing the pipe plug in the head above #6 cylinder a stiff piece of wire through the hole will ride the Piston through its travel allowing you to measure the difference between tdc and bdc by rolling the engine over by hand.  Remove the plugs to make it easier to do.  43/8 is 218, 4 5/8 is 230.  Plymouth started using 230 mid year in 54.  Make sure you piece of ire is sufficiently long for the task.  Don't forget to put the plug back in when your done...

• Like 1