Parts/Service Manuals - CD or Printed?

LrudyD

HI all,  after reading quite a bit on this forum, I realize I need to purchase manuals for my ‘48 Chrysler Windsor.  What’s best? I’ve read, “Get the printed version”, several times.  Is the printed more useful than PDF or CD?  Also, which manuals are necessary?  Where to get them?

My guess is that the top one is more of a "coffee table book" than a dependable reference.  The owner's manual is great to have, but the service manual's chapter on servicing the car will cover nearly every thing in it.  (Also check the download section here on the forum for scanned manuals & other info sheets members have posted.)

when working on your car flipping back and forth in the book from section to section is a matter of a second or two...the CD version is not that user friendly...and as many will chime in you can print the page you need....while that is true.....there is still no substitute for the book in hand.   

All look like good things to have. I find the factory shop manual and the factory parts manual to be the two that I refer to most often.

Regarding CD/PDF vs printed: The couple of manuals I got in electronic format I ended up printing and binding into books. Maybe I am old fashioned but it seems easier to me to use a printed item than look at one on a screen.

Best of both would be to have a nice printed reference copy and then a PDF where you could print the pages needed for what ever operation you are doing for use in the garage or shop. The “shop copy” would be disposable so you wouldn’t fret too much about getting it grease stained, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

All look like good things to have. I find the factory shop manual and the factory parts manual to be the two that I refer to most often.

Regarding CD/PDF vs printed: The couple of manuals I got in electronic format I ended up printing and binding into books. Maybe I am old fashioned but it seems easier to me to use a printed item than look at one on a screen.

Best of both would be to have a nice printed reference copy and then a PDF where you could print the pages needed for what ever operation you are doing for use in the garage or shop. The “shop copy” would be disposable so you wouldn’t fret too much about getting it grease stained, etc.

ah come on now that is insulting...I know very well that the majority of us walk around in our shops wearing clean white shop smocks and wearing white gloves...(also why so precious little seems to be accomplished)

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

ah come on now that is insulting...I know very well that the majority of us walk around in our shops wearing clean white shop smocks and wearing white gloves...(also why so precious little seems to be accomplished)

I’ll have you know I use rubber gloves.  No leak through if I trip and fall into a puddle

My poor eyesight is what has me going toward an idea similar to what Todd suggests, especially to be able to see detail in the illustrations.  I only have one service guide that I didn't download from this site (and a couple of others), or that I wasn't given by my brother as a Xerox copy.  I have scanned my printed book as well, and plan to make high resolution scans of the illustrations.  (I should have done it that way the first time, but you learn as you go, right?  The other thing is to 'descreen' the illustrations, too, so that when you enlarge them on the computer monitor, or if you printed an enlargement, it doesn't look like you are seeing it through a couple of screens.  Unfortunately I realized this issue after I'd already scanned most of the book, and then forgot about it by the time I came back to finish it up months later.)  Then I'll (eventually) print the text separate from the illustrations, so I can see the text and the illustration at the same time w/o flipping pages.  (But I do prefer to have a printed book in hand as well.  Just don't want to get my almost perfect manual greasy.)

Edited by Eneto-55