Fuel Sending Unit for 40 Royal

Dreamweaver

I recently picked up a 1940 Royal. The gas guage doesn't work and the seller told me he purchased and installed a fuel sending unit but, becuase (his words) he "didn't seal the cork", he thinks it's defective now.

I plan on replacing the fuel sending unit even if that's not the true culprit. I talked to someone who sells parts for older Chrysler's (sorry - can't remember the name of the company), and she told me that the ones she sells are already sealed and that, if this one has been sitting in the tank for any length of time, there's a good chance the cork has broken down and there is a concern the bits of cork can find their way through the fuel system and wreak other havoc.

I found this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-1948-Plymouth-Dodge-Desoto-Chrysler-Gas-Tank-Sending-Unit-/182189035242?fits=Year%3A1940%7CMake%3AChrysler%7CModel%3ARoyal&hash=item2a6b500eea%3Ag%3AhQoAAOxydlFS5%7EEx&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=mxBdZUBDw3Re9dzdJWelY7nOWuI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What’s strange about the “auction” (it’s a buy it now) is that I sent the seller a message telling him some of the things I am looking for, he replied back with /” I have the fuel sending unit available… it’s $300 plus shipping”. THEN I find this on his site and it’s $115. ??? I sent him another message asking if this is the fuel sending unit, and he said yes. So now I’m confused.

What I’m wondering is if there are different categories / qualities of fuel sending units for this car… one that is “sealed”, one that isn’t. I do remember my conversation with that lady who said she had a sealed one, and it was something like $185.

If this one on the Ebay auction is the correct unit, and I can somehow “seal” it myself for a couple of bucks, that would make sense to do. Otherwise I will find that website again and buy the one that is $185.

I attached a pic of the one on Ebay for future reference, just in case someone else later down the road stumbles into this same scenario =.

post-9316-0-89151400-1468333302_thumb.jpg

Tried your email link and the ebay page had been closed because the item was already sold and no longer available.

The seller is mopar-direct. Their Ebay store is Vintage Mopar Direct

'

If you click the link again and scroll down you will see that they have 6 more available for sale.

It's kind of a strange listing... Yes, "THAT" auction has ended (they sold a total of 2 in that auction), but they have 6 more available for sale.

post-9316-0-45585000-1468337549_thumb.jpg

I'd contact Bernbaums direct by phone.........btw that pictured sender unit looks the same as that on my 1940 Dodge which would have used Plymouth bits here in Oz.........andyd 

Hi DW

My dad has a 29 Plymouth that uses a vacuum tank to suck fuel from the tank and then gravity fed the carby. After 50 years the cork float absorbed enough fuel not to float anymore. We got stuck on the side of the road and figured out what the problem was. We got some wine bottle corks from a bar and away we went. The original vacuum tank was replaced with a more sophisticated Stewart tank from a Buick. 

Anyway, the point is that as long as the unsealed corks aren't bone dry they should be fine and if you need to replace them a good source would be Napa (Valley...). I'd be reluctant to seal them yourself unless you knew exactly how the sealer is going to react to the fuel.

Rick

I bought these plastic floats for my NOS sending unit. Works like a charm:

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/search.lasso?partno=1516250R&Go=Go

Pete

So, the link that is in the "NOS Sending Unit" goes to an ebay page that lists a sending unit for 66-69 Lincoln.... etc. I am imagining that this is some kind of hyperlink that gets autofilled by advertisers on this site?

In any event, my question is this: on the sending unit or my car, would I just remove the cork and replace it with the "Chevy's of the 40's" plastic float?

I removed the cork float from my 52 truck sender unit and replaced it with a plastic float from a 70's GM car.

A tip when you do it... measure the distance from where the gas tank sender mounts in the gas tank and bend the sender arm slightly to allow a little extra in the bottom of the tank - when the sender makes your gas gauge read 'empty' this will give you a little reserve gas supply in the tank.

post-3915-0-87582300-1468621576_thumb.jpg

I removed the cork float from my 52 truck sender unit and replaced it with a plastic float from a 70's GM car.

A tip when you do it... measure the distance from where the gas tank sender mounts in the gas tank and bend the sender arm slightly to allow a little extra in the bottom of the tank - when the sender makes your gas gauge read 'empty' this will give you a little reserve gas supply in the tank.

Thank you.

What method did you use to attach it?

Thank you.

What method did you use to attach it?

From memory, the wire with the cork on was crushed flatter to prevent a small metal washer (placed between the plastic float and the end of the wire) from slipping off the end of the wire. I pressed the wire in a vice to enable removal of the old cork float and then I crushed the wire again after I had the new metal washer float installed.

From memory, the wire with the cork on was crushed flatter to prevent a small metal washer (placed between the plastic float and the end of the wire) from slipping off the end of the wire. I pressed the wire in a vice to enable removal of the old cork float and then I crushed the wire again after I had the new metal washer float installed.

Thank you for the info. I'm assuming a galvanized washer would be appropriate rather than stainless?