My introduction may be gone, but my questions remain

thebeebe5

Lost in the data dump from yesterday, but the nice thing about it is that I can just re-post!!

A reminder, I've just acquired a P4 Business coupe of the 1937 variety with 58k miles on it.  While it looks quite nice it needs some attention mechanically such as brakes, springs, tune up and lighting improvements.  I'll put up new pics with this post too.

I put up a couple of questions last night.  Primarily, can anyone tell me the max I.D. of 1937 P4 brake drums please?   In case that number is not on these drums or is no loger visible....   Going to have the car on a lift Saturday and want to take the drums off and see what's goiing on in there.  I'll be making a list of any brake component needing replacement and I want to measure the drums while they are off.  Hoping they do not need to be replaced....

Also, I've looked under the car a little, but didn't notice an obvious jack location spot.  Want to have it secure of course (since I'll be under it) but do not want to damage anything either.  Where should the lift jacks be placed?

I have a more recent exhaust manifold to replace my cracked original.  Does anyone ever ceramic coat these in a "bare cast iron" finish or is that frowned upon....  AND to the fellow (I don't remember folk's names  here yet) that pointed out that the flange to pipe may be a different size than my original; it is.  Must have a more recent replacement.  I can see what looks like a date code, but I cannot make out the letters/numbers very well at all.  I can fab a flange before making the swap, and the lead pipe to muffler looks pretty straight forward so I'll make a replacement.

I noticed that there's a pin missing from my starter pedal shaft to the lever that depresses the button on the starter.  I figured on an ACE hardware substitute (5/16" clevis pin, hitch pin or similar) until I can find whatever is correct, but as it was not there when I got the car I do not know what I'm looking for.  Anyone know the part I need?  I'll add a picture...

Tires will be high on my list for replacement.  There are HUGE radials on it now and the back left has rubbed the inner wheel well at least....  What size tire was original fo these cars?  6 inch??

Thanks in advance for your replies, and thanks for the nice welcome yesterday.  Thanks to Tod Fitch for directing me here!

post-8133-0-25037200-1432907843_thumb.jpg

post-8133-0-22250200-1432907916_thumb.jpg

Edited by thebeebe5
  • Like 2

Hey, is that the one from craigslist? Nice score!

Wasnt on CL as far as I know. A friend bought it 6weeks ago out of South Dakota planning to chop it and hot rod it. Decided against it since it is really quite well preserved. Passed it on to me directly as I had expressed interest and AFAIK he never posted it for sale. Plan was for ebay, but direct to me saved us both $$

gotcha.  There was a 37 coupe on craigslist a few weeks back.  Brown in color, looked and claimed fully restored.  Very nice but wanted $17k. 

gotcha. There was a 37 coupe on craigslist a few weeks back. Brown in color, looked and claimed fully restored. Very nice but wanted $17k.

is that high? If it was in tip top shape that doesn't seem bad to me. Youd pay 2x-3x that if the name started with "Ford" or "Chevy". Lol

What town was it in?

Edited by thebeebe5

Your starter pin looks similar to what my truck uses. Its just a round pin edges slightly beveled to make it easier to install. There is then a U shaped piece of spring steel that clips over it. Sorta looks like a pair of earmuffs.

• Like 1

is that high? If it was in tip top shape that doesn't seem bad to me. Youd pay 2x-3x that if the name started with "Ford" or "Chevy". Lol

What town was it in?

It was here in the Phx area.  Not sure on value, looked like a full restore in an undesireable color.  I'm keeping an eye out for a 36. 

Your starter pin looks similar to what my truck uses. Its just a round pin edges slightly beveled to make it easier to install. There is then a U shaped piece of spring steel that clips over it. Sorta looks like a pair of earmuffs.

ok cool. I'll be heading to ACE this am to pick up a suitable substitute.

Edit: accidentally double punched the "add reply" button.... :-/

Edited by thebeebe5

It was here in the Phx area. Not sure on value, looked like a full restore in an undesireable color. I'm keeping an eye out for a 36.

might very well have been this car then... I like the brown myself. Seems very "vintage" to me.
  • Like 2

Your car probably had something like 6.00 x 16 tires when new.....pretty skinny.

Do you wish to run bias ply or radial tires now?      Are the current tires/wheels 16 or 15 inch?  16 would have been

original.  

Radials will make it drive/handle better ............ but will be a larger looking tire than the original style

bias ply.    However, they have now invented a tire that looks like the old bias ones, but is really

constructed like a radial.  I think Coker and another place or two have them.    I have not heard any

reports from actual users of that new type as to how they really handle.   

Edited by BobT-47P15

Your car probably had something like 6.00 x 16 tires when new.....pretty skinny.

Do you wish to run bias ply or radial tires now? Are the current tires/wheels 16 or 15 inch? 16 would have been

original.

Radials will make it drive/handle better ............ but will be a larger looking tire than the original style

bias ply. However, they have now invented a tire that looks like the old bias ones, but is really

constructed like a radial. I think Coker and another place or two have them. I have not heard any

reports from actual users of that new type as to how they really handle.

Bob, the wheels are 16". Current tires are 235/75/16 and are huge.... Would love to stick with a radial, but want the wide white look. Have heard of the Bf Goodrich silversides and will look into them.

This brings up another point: I notice what look like regular non-tube valve stems.... Can tubless tires be mounted on the vintage rims and not leak, or is it likely these wheels have been changed....?

10426532_10200239781113474_2122105739307I used ceramic coating on my manifolds. I think they're awesome

That does look nice. Might do that to mine, but they'll look out of place on the dingy motor for a while....

Question: can I reuse the exhaust and intake fasteners when I swap the manifold?

Edited by thebeebe5

post-32-0-18666000-1432936821_thumb.jpgI'm well please with my Diamondback wwwalls on my bidness coupe.  They've been on the car for years and hold air pressure real good and made the car feel like I had rebuilt the front end ....compared to the bias plys that were on the car..

Edited by Reg Evans

Hey Beebe5,

Nice car and welcome to the forum. When I got my P-15 coupe it had 235/75/15 tires on it, they looked huge as well. I replaced them (the were dry rotted out but still holding air) with a set of 205/70/15 tires from wal-mart. (white walls are to pricey for me). The tires looked better and give me a nice ride and fit very well under the car. As far as I can tell, if you have solid rims and not spoke ones, clean the inside with a wire wheel and paint them to help seal any rivet areas and you should be able to go tubeless. Be advised on some rims the valve stem can be round or a slightly larger oval size. Check which on you have before buying the valve stems.

Joe

Edited by soth122003

5/16" Clevis pin and pin clip is the current solution, Ed.  Works fine and fits snuggly.  Might change to whatever is proper later, but no one's going to be judging this....

post-8133-0-27152500-1432945929_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum....very nice '37! I have a '38 P6 Coupe, which is nearly identical to yours, but not as nice. I'm running stock 16" wheels, Champion Super Deluxe bias ply wide white walls with tubes. My car was missing the same pin on the starter mechanism also, I used a 5/16" bolt with nylock nut (tight on the nut, but still loose in the hole) because it was what I had at the time. Not a big deal, but under your "project cars", shows "1939".

*EDIT:running 6.00-16 tires, which I believe is the stock size.

Edited by deathbound

Wonder if anyone runs blackwalls with the thin red stripe, on these old cars.  I'd like to see some pictures!

Current wheels on this car are 15 inch… Would they be later replacement then?