Bring My 48 Dodge D24 to Life Again

linus6948

Well I paid the most I`ve ever paid for a can of paint, a 1/2 pint of One Shot Bright Red was just shy of $25 delivered, I`m not the best with an artist brush but it came out fairly decent,

post-4221-0-13689600-1407444260_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-08741300-1407444351_thumb.jpg

Not a bad price for delivered.  Most I've paid was about 10 years ago, somewhere in the $ 500-600 range for 1 quart, plus reducer, plus shipping. was the least expensive place I could buy it from.  Other sources wanted more, like add another $ 150  to it.  Specialty paint, was what the customer wanted on it.

You guys are making me feel like I got a real bargain, but really the paint was worth it and I can probably do another 100 hub caps, it doesn`t take much paint. I just hope it holds up.

Edited by linus6948

I once paid $265 per pint for just the paint. Plus more for the activators, clear, and etc. it was DuPont Chroma-lusion Paint. For 1 quart worth of paint, to paint my motorcycle,I had just over $900 invested, including primers.

House of Kolor Kameleon.  Bags fairing, trunk. etc , 31 different parts and 1 qt wasn't enough.

I already listed this under downloads but here it is again, a handy reference for D24 owners...This is the backside of the chart, both sides can be found under downloads, I couldn`t shrink the front side small enough to upload here.

IMG_20140807_0002.pdf

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

These pictures were taken this morning, I seem to feel the need to drive this car several times a day, I am afraid it`s becoming a compulsion.

post-4221-0-55245100-1407775523_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-06854500-1407775528_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how the aux/fog lights would mount to the front of this car.

post-4221-0-76617600-1407775617_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-99710900-1407775699_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-03868900-1407841076_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-09127500-1407841079_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

I think you might have to drill holes inthe front splash gravel guard, metal that is between the front bumber and the grill.

I have a 39 Desoto but my bumper arms supports are visable so I can attach my forglight brakets directly to the support.

I am not 100% sure but I think this is the answer that you are looking for. Let someone that also has your model car give you the reply.

Rich HArtung

• Like 1

Thank you for the compliment, this coupe apparently had good care by most if not all of the previous "caretakers", though one or two of them were prolific chain smokers. There is a handwritten bill of sale in the glovebox that shows this car sold for $25 in 1970, I`m guessing that was the scrap metal price at the time. But happily there was a lineage of owners that had this car and didn`t do anything stupid with it.

It`s funny how much more attention the coupe gets now out on the street than it did in the 87-99 period when I last had it on the road, like a fine wine it`s now more appreciated than before, kids just love it, and older women 75-85 that I guess used to go out on "dates" in similar cars stop dead in their tracks waxing nostalgic. But I`m sure you know exactly what I`m going on about so I`ll stop here. 

At a Stopsign last night I noticed the Coupes "Ghostly"  reflection caught in a window across the street and took a couple of pictures.

post-4221-0-17133700-1408113286_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-17488000-1408113290_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Those are the cool pics, the surprises that are there but one doesn't usually notice until they're driving a neat car and taking in all the peripheral visions.  Do we look at the world with more attention to the good stuff when driving our special cars?  Well yeah!  :o  

• Like 1

I have one of their tanks also.  What did you do about the fuel pick up being on top of the tank instead of coming out on the drivers side corner?  I'm debating about what to do.  I don't want the fuel line in the trunk so I have thought about making a spacer to lower it so the fuel line runs between the tank and trunk floor.  Also, what about the 2 wire sending unit.  Did you use your original.  Looks like the one you used is from tanks inc.  

My tank`s fuel outlet was on the drivers side corner just where it needed to be, the old fuel line went right in with a little tweaking, I replaced it with new lines later when I added the 6 volt primer pump. The sender came with the tank as a package deal and my 48 has the one wire fuel sender so it hooked right up and works well.

post-4221-0-89102000-1408240039_thumb.jpg

The fitting on the top of my tank is for the vent

Edited by linus6948