Woo Hoo!

Just ordered my new complete rubber/weatherstrip set for my 1950 D! I'm hoping the Roberts kit is as good as I've read. That has been the last thing other then the minor body work that my truck needed, but I'm going to strip the truck bare again and do the work and re-paint before I install. Now all I need is this worst winter ever to end!! :D

I just filled out my cart for all seals for my truck. Total $275.00 plus $27.00 for shipping. I wonder what I missed since yours came to $833 US Dollars. Their shopping page is a pain in the arse. May not order from them. Will check out Steele.

Steele total = $414.00 plus shipping. I used them the first time. Part of the difference is the windshield seal. Steele's is a molded one piece seal which I like.

Steele's shopping form was EASY to read and add to the cart. 

Will probably go with Steele. 

Edited by pflaming

Is that kind of thing hard to install?

Also, I didn't see a link for Roberts on the site. Could you post one?

Thanks

You can now buy either the splice together windshield rubber T3 for $55 or the one piece type T347 for $70 from Roberts. There catalog is not great but considerably better than their website. I paid $166 at Steele Rubber. On would like to think for 2 1/2 times the money that the Steele Rubber would be better.

After installing the 1 piece original I'd be happy not to do that again, and I got ever piece of rubber needed for the truck, from the window gaskets, to door trim, foot pedal rubber and even the vent gasket etc. My truck needs it all so I'd rather do it all then its all apart. About the only piece I won't change is the filler neck rubber.

I had my first windshield glass installed locally for $100. I was going to do it myself and had old but good glass. One catch, I had to get one glass from another truck. I carefully cut the old seal, went to get inside and lower the glass, when I opened the door (mistake) the two pieces fell!!!!!!!!!! One little mistake. I decided to let a pro put in the glass and I will use the same company again. GLASS DOES NOT BEND! It also does not inform you in advance that it's falling, but it DOES inform you when it ARRIVES! 

If my pending order is correct, I have for $400 +  all but the starter button from Steele. Works for me. Will double check with them via telephone on Monday and report back.

PS: I do NOT have door wing vent windows, nor corner windows, and that is probably the money difference.  

Edited by pflaming

Look through this thread

48D

Thanks!

I used the single piece windshield rubber from Roberts about 12-14 yrs ago.  I had a professional install it.  I'm happy with the rubber and how its holding up.  I just wish that it had been wider around the perimeter to cover more of the pinch weld recess.  Mike

Paul;

Exactly......the corner window rubbers and the vent window rubbers are very expensive.

Fwiw I used Steele for the front and rear glass. I tore one of the Steele corner window rubbers trying to get them in. When I called for tech support on the install they were less than helpful. I got "those are a B---h" and nothing else. Found out about the masking tape trick here and then the rest was easy.

I got my vent window rubber and door seals from Roberts. They fit perfect. I like doing business with Gary. I agree his web site and catalog leave something to be desired. But I can pick up the phone and speak directly with him.

If any of you are planning to install yourselves it really isn't that bad a job. Use a liberal amount of masking tape to hold the rubber in place and soap the whole thing up. I had two helpers hold the windshields in place from the inside while I pulled the rope from the outside. 10 minutes later it was done. The corner glass needs to be levered into place by starting it at the side closest to the door. One person on the inside of the cab maintaining pressure on the glass and another outside to pull the rope. Again each should take about 10 minutes. Getting the rubber fit onto the corner glass itself is the real chore. It needs to be done on a warm day then taped in place and left to conform to the glass for a few hours or overnight.

Jeff

Jeff

I used the single piece windshield rubber from Roberts about 12-14 yrs ago.  I had a professional install it.  I'm happy with the rubber and how its holding up.  I just wish that it had been wider around the perimeter to cover more of the pinch weld recess.  Mike

The only thing I ever bought from Gary I was disappointed with. Not only do the pinch welds show,, but what is far worse is  the vertical divider  between the two glass windshield is too thin requiring either slight modification of the part so it doesn't touch the paint on the cab at both ends, or by use of spacers like I did that look awful. Buy everything else from Gary, but don't make this mistake.  Buy the windshield rubber from Steele.

Hank  :mad:

Edited by HanksB3B

Are you guys pricing things like fender welting, the top fender fillers, the rubber where the neck leaves the cab, the one that joins pipe to tank, the under hood firewall seal, so many things a guy forgets about if their not doing a tear down. I do have the vent wing windows, but no corner windows, and the complete seals to those wing windows are shot too and that's included.

I found Steele very expensive even compared to some ebay finds, and have heard the windshield gasket issues, but I could buy almost two Roberts for one Steele.

My needs are for window items only. Since I will use Steele windshield one piece seal, the difference in costs are not that much for me and I only pay one source and one shipping fee. So my order certainly is not as expansive as yours was. If I have an issue only one phone call. Will make that call on monday to Steele and put in my order verbally.

QUESTION: I will thoroughly clean where the seals go and probably etch prime those metal areas in a deep gray. Should I do more than that?

My needs are for window items only. Since I will use Steele windshield one piece seal, the difference in costs are not that much for me and I only pay one source and one shipping fee. So my order certainly is not as expansive as yours was. If I have an issue only one phone call. Will make that call on monday to Steele and put in my order verbally.

QUESTION: I will thoroughly clean where the seals go and probably etch prime those metal areas in a deep gray. Should I do more than that?

I suggest that you take some time and take a through look at TCGlobals web site and avail yourself of the resources found there. http://www.tcpglobal.com/

2014-03-01_2157_zps7df42641.png

If you are going to paint you truck yourself then doing the reseaqrch will pay off both in the quality of your paint job and the price. If you are in a hurry and just want to do a partial "paint-out" of the areas surrounding the windows it is possible.

What I would do iI to first spray a self etching primer on clean metal then a Urethane Primer.  The high quality of a Urethane primer will stand up for years before you actually paint your truck.

Work with a sales person over the phone and explain for now you just want to install the window gaskets intop a clean, protected surface. See what they say and if they have a line of spray cans that are compatible with the couple of gallons you will use to prime the entire truck.

Hank  :)

(That's good news re: placing your order.)

Edited by HanksB3B

You should top coat with an actual paint too IMO, but I'd just brush on some black tremclade to seal it properly, that or start with a true rust inhibitor. Once you've cleaned up any and all rust I'd ensure no shape edges that the rubber wil press against.

I'm always forgetting. Can anyone please tell me the site to find the reproduction side hood emblems?

Thanks.... Going to blow the bank account, might as well do it all at once :D

Part of the difference is the windshield seal. Steele's is a molded one piece seal which I like.

i bought my one-piece windshield rubber from roberts back in 2007, so they've been available for a while. it installed easily. did it by myself. used permetex black inside the entire pinch-weld cavity. hasn't leaked for at least 3 years.

I used the single piece windshield rubber from Roberts about 12-14 yrs ago. I had a professional install it. I'm happy with the rubber and how its holding up. I just wish that it had been wider around the perimeter to cover more of the pinch weld recess. Mike

i'm happy with mine, too. it has held up fine. paid $65 plus shipping back then.

The only thing I ever bought from Gary I was disappointed with. Not only do the pinch welds show,, but what is far worse is the vertical divider between the two glass windshield is too thin requiring either slight modification of the part so it doesn't touch the paint on the cab at both ends, or by use of spacers like I did that look awful. Buy everything else from Gary, but don't make this mistake. Buy the windshield rubber from Steele.

i didn't have that problem. the inner/outer pieces of the center divider fit together fine by sandwiching the rubber. you are certainly not alone with having problems with rubber from roberts. but there are nearly as many tales of problems from steele, and for the price difference, i'd be irate if the steele pieces were anything other than perfect.

i'm also aware of the cowl vent rubber problems, yet, again, i purchased mine from roberts and installed it in 2007, and it does not leak.

makes me wonder whether there are tremendous variations in the rubber pieces supplied to the vendors, huge variations in the dodge truck sheetmetal, or big variations in the installation abilities by people.

Paul I would just spray or brush some paint on there. If you end up with a repaint the glass should come back out to do it right in my opinion.

Edited by Young Ed