Crankshaft pulley not aligning

40desoto

Im installing my crankshaft pulley on my 218 engine that has been modified toa 230. Im assuming they installed a 230 crankshaft. Not sure if this matters or not but I cant seem to they pulley inserted all the way and doesnt seem to perfectly allign with the fan pulley.
Questions;
Would having a 230 crankshaft cause a misalignmemt on the pulley?
Why does this motor not have a damper pulley? My 251 had a damper instead would it be best to install the 251 damper on this motor?

0B59C629-92DB-4EDD-BFCE-B87F2E476375_zps

1438b54e-d14c-4d41-ad6f-c45ca7b31a13_zps

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/mcerda972/1940%20Desoto%20Coupe/0B59C629-92DB-4EDD-BFCE-B87F2E476375_zpspitocyxx.jpg

Edited by 40desoto

That crank pulley is a later 1953-54 power steering narrow double groove style. It won't work with the above older style wide pulley..(used up to 1950) .

Try to Find the six bolt crankshaft hub that uses the separate bolt on damper and 3/4" wide pulley. That setup will fix your alignment problems.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Bob, thank you. Yes I believe the extra crankshaft pully that I have from the desoto is six bolt wide belt like the one you are describing. I noticed its a lot heavier. I will post some pictures of it. What effect would this heavier pulley and/ or the damper have on the smaller 218 engine?

FYI; the extra pulley I have came off of a larger 250 engine.

7917A5CF-8FA1-4A38-83FA-5580BE52EA97_zps

13116372-C5A8-4137-A76C-449D01F6455F_zps

E72CBCB9-89D3-4968-A984-188AB3136162_zps

Edited by 40desoto

It will bolt on fine. All it can do is reduce torsional crankshaft vibration which is a good thing. Hopefully there is clearance in your frame for the larger diameter damper part. Make sure the hub does not have a wear groove in it. If it does you will need to install a speei-sleeve.

Don't know what the pully pictured above is for. The damper is correct.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I just realized that the picture I posted of the pulley is not for either of the engines I stated.  The shop seemed to give me back two sets of Pulleys.  I found the pulley of of my Desoto engine and its a 2 piece pulley that bolts together. Also comes with a separate huge damper.  Ill post pics later

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the pulley that will accept the damper and uses a wider belt has oil seal wear on it and the damper seems to be bent a bit.  The one without the damper and smaller belt groove is in a lot better condition.

Questions; 

-About how much am I looking to pay to get the pulley re-sleeved and turned down?

-What are the benefits of using a wider belt vs a more narrower one?

Edited by 40desoto

you can contat a gentle called Dr dampener and he rebuild them.  When i spoke to him about rebuilding mine for my 39 desoto I think it was around $100.

Here is the link to his site:  http://www.damperdoctor.com/

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939