Crown Vic cop wheels on a 50 desoto

pipebomb

Has anyone tried putting a newer 17" police interceptor crown vic steelie rims/wheels on a 50 desoto/dodge/plymouth? i know the lug pattern is the same, just wondering if they will clear the drums/wheel wells.. i like the looks of bigger steel wheels. 

thanks!!

Methinks some spacers are in order to make it work. The backspacing on the crown vic's would be greater than that of the old mopar, I am thinking around 1.5-2" or so assuming the PI 17" rim is 6.5-7" in width. Also, another thing to consider is if the center hole for the hubs is the same diameter, or larger, than the original. Concerns aside, they would look nice on the car! .....just no skinny rubber-band tires, it needs something with profile  :P

If they do fit are you planning on using radial tires on the Desoto.  I have discussed the use of radial tires on cars that came standard with Bias Ply tires.

There are alot question still being raised that the old car geometry of the frame and front and rear suspension cannot handle the rolling and the corning characteristics of the radial tire since the sturcture of the radial tire is totally different thanthe Bias-Ply tires.

This is why the AACA will not permit the use of radial tires on older cars that were not originally desgined for this type of tire.

I am just bring up this point I do not have any engineering data to prove or disprove this statement, but you must make that decision.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I have run radials on after market rims 5 inch wide 15's with a 3.5 inch back space, with no issues for 12 years on my P15.  I have run them on long highway trips, I have run them with light loads and full loads, and I drive the car rather hard. I have had no issues except for dealing with hard steering when the car is not moving.  

The other issue with modern wheels is the modern tires that mount on them. I run 75 aspect ratio tires on my 15's for an these are quite close in diameter to the original equipment 600 16's, what are you choices on the 17's unless you look at light truck tires you are probably looking at 55 or 60 aspect.  I don't think our old cars look good on the rubber band around tall rims look common today.  I believe the standard CV police package tire was a 235 55 17.  I know I tried a set of Jeep wheels on my car and they had too much back space tires interfered with tie rods up front and springs in the rear.  Some one mentioned the use of Mopar 7 inch wide police wheels but I believe those were 15 inch.  Plus You may find that you need to jack uo the car and jack down the rear axle to get the wheel/tire package on.  OK in the shop, not so OK at road side.

The possible problems associated with the use of radial tires on older cars/trucks is a myth that is bantered around by the same people that favor non-detergent oil, water in lieu of coolant, etc.

The only midifications needed to an older vehicle when radual tires are used is a few adjustments to the front end alignment... Of course consideration must be given to the wheels to make sure they are the correct width, etc., for the radial tire being used..

I have been using tubless radial tires sine the early '70's on just about every vehicle I have owned... The one problem with radials that most people overlook is the tire pressure.. Many people think radial tires are low pressure tires, actually they are high pressure tires... A rule of thumb to live by, "Don't Let The Directions On The Can Outsmart You"...

• Like 1

radial install on the design of the older rims are a valid question on the older cars...characteristics of the radial as they are when cornering and such..but as for suspension...the basic design of the upper and lower A arms exist right on to the current versions on the highway and when the term radial tuned suspension come into play only a tweak of the settings were changed a bit to address ride of the radials mainly the roll of the tire to its edge where the tread design was extended by the manufactuer.  I remember well that our suspension alignment man at the shop would realign cars that  eventually got the radials installed.  I cannot say if this was addressed by alignment specs in a book or attending a seminar, he did set up mine when I put radial for the first time on my Dodge of the time..Radial Tuned Suspension...I think Pontiac made this phrase popular in the US but they I  think just copied the idea from their Australian GM counterpart Holden   As for AACA...they are very strict on vehicles being judged

as for the newer wheels..as Greg stated, the backset of the wheel will be an issue with the steel wheels and if alloys add the opening of the hole as another critical fit point..loss of the newer rims will not retrofit due to the center hole..though the rim is still very much big enough on the back side to be a centric fit..the older hubs will not be able to extend through the hole...they being positive offset, flat faced and as meant for modern flat roller style hubs of permanent sealed bearing.  As I have mentioned here before..one can tweak the wheels if you wish..not really costly but will require machine work...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I agree with the negative comment about rubber band tires.  However, it's a matter of degree and opinion,....in my opinion.

That being said, my opinion :o is 17" steel wheels are cool.  I've put 17s on my last three cars with no issues.  I maintain that

17's are the new 15s.  Understand 'tho, there is a price for being cool and the first item on the cost sheet is, do your homework.

There is a lot of data online regarding tire dimensions relative to wheel dims.  You can cherry-pick the specs and fine tune tire

width and dia. by +/- .2".  Then compare to dimensions of your car and it's running gear.  I spent considerable time measuring and

mocking-up and thinking about the shortcomings and alternatives.  I'm very happy with how my car turned out.

IMG_46829x14_zpsd0f5f4ff.jpg

>

IMG_47129x14_zpsc8c7527f.jpg

The fronts are 215/50x17,...rears 245/50x17  They are Dodge Magnum stock 17x7 cheapies that normally reside under plastic faux

aluminum covers.  However, big "however",....'tho the fronts are stock, the rears have been modified for offset and rim width.

The rears are the fattest I could get under the fender and yes, I have to jack up one side to remove a rear tire,...big deal!  

My front suspension is not stock.  However I believe you would have no problems there.  The rubber band look, such as it is,

is most apparent in the straight side view.  Anything other than that you are viewing a 3/4 view which takes the curse off the 

rubber band look.  Cool, huh!  :rolleyes:

If you would like more info and any specifics I can help with, please don't hesitate to PM me anytime. 

Attached is a link posted y sema on radial and Bias Ply tires. good article to read.

http://www.sema.org/files/attachments/WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf

As stated before I am not an engineer but if you are going to put radials on your old car you might want to consider the rims and or changing the rims as per what it states in the article.  Food for thought.

I am also not stating that the AACA is the know it all on this issue, but this was brought up at last years annual convention and meeting and this is what they discussed in the lecture series.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of wheels here is what I did. I am running Jeep Wrangler/Comanche 15" steel wheels with radials. I have a Ford Explorer rear end with disc brakes and a disc conversion up front. My plan was to use the stock wheels, but they would not clear the disc brakes on the rear. I did have to use 3/8" wheel spacers all  around for brake clearence. Plus I had to noch the rear caliper a little. I tried wheels from a Diplomat but the back set was all wrong. A little too close to the rear fender. I am pretty happy with the results. I plan to use the stock hub caps and they fit the wheels fine. Maybe this will save someone else a few headaches if they are in a similar situation.

you have the wheel in hand?   or at least the measurements?    What is the back set..or at minimum the offset dimension (it will be positive)...The 17 may well make the interference on the front not an issue with the tire rod end...but don't count on it...this is usually the  first problem with any wheel with positive offset.  Stock suspension with most modern positive offsets in the front will bring into play the correct thickness of wheel adapters...(adapter is also the proper word even when not changing pattern due to the very width being selected)   I think you should go out and make a few measurements...also the tires size is easily corrected with the proper ratio aspect tire in the larger 17 size and you do these comparison online with a tire comparison website for same height/rev per mile etc..

mrwstory, those arent "rubber band tires." these are rubber band tires...http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5351/30series.jpg

i also had those magnum wheels on the front of my '50 with a disc brake conversion. i never tried them on the rear. I did have a set of crown vic 17's and they fit on the rear, but looked very funny without any spacers. the crown vic's would not work on the front without an awful big spacer.

mrwstory, those arent "rubber band tires." these are rubber band tires...http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5351/30series.jpg

:lol:  yeah, those are real rubberbands.  not just "low profile", but "no profile".  wonder if'n there's even room for air.  ;) 

Edited by mrwrstory