Suspension question

koderboy

I have a 49 plymouth 4dr and I was gonna put it on a s10 frame but I heard its a pita and you can buy new spindles and all the front end goodies to do disc brakes. My question is has anyone done this and what did you use? I'm playing on using a ls1/4l80 trans so will the original frame hold up?

Have no idea what your "ls1/4l80 trans" refers to but if it weighs less than 750 lbs you will be weight to the good.  Use the Search function for disc brakes, lots of discussions on various adaptations.  As far as front end parts Kanter has stock stuff, fatman makes dropped spindles, but there are shorter spring made also if you want to lower the front.  As far as frame strength, you will find that the front is fully boxed to the fire wall and probaly stronger that the s10.  If you are looking to clip the front take a look at early Dakota stuff.

From the questions you ask I suspect this is your first project vehicle. I suggest you dont attack this project full bore but instead do things one step at a time. Get the engine running and the brakes working. Then drive the car to get a feel for what you want. Then still continue one step at a time.

All to often I have seen folks buy an old car with visions of building a big scale hot rod or custom. First thing they do is remove the body from the frame. Once this is done they learn just how much work is involved and lose interest. Then the car sits for a year or so and is eventially sold most likely to the crusher as nobody wants to buy a disassembled car. I mention this in hopes that you dont fall into this pattern.

• Like 2

he is referring the LS1 engine and the 4180 tranny combo that is GM....if you going to install that setup then go for it,...document the progress, have fun..surely you do not have to have a paint by number plan in front of you..building a car is a personal thing and one ventures on their own..cloning a car is a bit easier if you have access to all the documentation and cut/weld measurements.....are you actually looking at cloning another person's build here..this may not go over too easily....not running you off from here but this is the daily bread and butter of the folks on the H.A.M.B.  website.   Lots and lots of retrofits over there...enjoy your car...

From the questions you ask I suspect this is your first project vehicle. I suggest you dont attack this project full bore but instead do things one step at a time. Get the engine running and the brakes working. Then drive the car to get a feel for what you want. Then still continue one step at a time.

AMEN! AMEN!....

I took this advice from a friend years ago and repeated it many times over to guys who were about to jump in the deep end without realizing the commitment.  I ruined a car and never finished it,..once.  In this case, I did the Fatman spindles, disc brakes. lowering blocks, big and littles, and a Volare rear end which got me freeway speeds.  (even that sounds like a lot now!  :huh:)  However, you can take each of those steps one at a time, and only have the car "down" for a few days each time.  Sure glad I did that!  I drove mine for about 5 years this way and enjoyed the "thumbs ups" and developing network before jumping in the deep end.  

This site has been a wonderful asset with information, opinion and moral support.    My car and I are sneakin up on completion,..... finally, tho it will never be done to others perceptions.  I'm good with that.  It's freakin cool,...some agree and some don't and,.... I couldn't care less.

Good luck!  Stay in touch and enjoy the journey.

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

Yeah, that kind of s-10 frame swapping thing is not for the faint of heart or pocketbook...and some of us actually frown on using shiverlay junk in/on an old Mope.

The original frame is perfectly well suited to upgrades, the IFS is not as antiquated as a similar gm car, and several rear axles fit nicely where the stocker sits now.

What is the attraction of a gm engine over that of a 318/360 ? The gm are certainly are no more reliable.

Your car, your money, your choice

wayfarer....I agree...but however...majority of folks do this because they happened to have a GM donor on hand..in a PM I also suggested the first build in custom may be best suited to a modification of the original chassis with R&P, relocated shocks, lowering spindles and disc brakes..if your up to the task...a full cut and retro clip is also a very easy job to do....and dollar for dollar less than a modifying an original..but for labor intensity..the original  chassis mod comes out on top..Fatman is in a dollar class all by itself...but does have its following also..regardless of his decision..it is his car..his time and money...would just hate to see a P15 go to the wayside unfinished as most everyone here I think would agree with..

Many years ago when I aquired my '39 Plym conv I talked to a lot of people for over two years before I actually started rebuilding the car.. Knowing full well that the car was quite rare I did not want to butcher the car up, I knew that Chrysler cars were very well built, only having one fault, an underpowered, unreliable six cylinder...There I said, now you can tell me to wash my mouth out for implying that a Chrysler built engine was not the best engine in the world..

Because of the rarity of my car I wanted to keep it all Chrysler, a big problem kept coming up.. Everytime I spoke to a Mopar guy about engines, etc., I generally got the same answer.. Hemi, Hemi, Hemi.. The Chrysler Hemi was a great engine in the 50's, it produced a lot of power from a very large combersome package..

I opted for a 2002 SBC 350cid 330 hp w/700R4 trns.. Why? Cost, and availibility of parts. I have to admit that I wish my info sources had been more enlightened, I would have used a 318/360 Magnum with a 904 or 727 trans..During the last few years I have found out that the 318 Magnum engines are very plentiful, they were used in many Chrysler built vehicles.. They also have features that GM never thought of.. Google the Dodge 318 Magnums will really enlighten a lot of people..

I just bought a '98 318 Magnum for my '73 Duster, $300. for a wrecked Dodge Ram... Complete running fuel injected engine..

A review of the recent topics about suspension modifictions here on the Forum will prove to be quite informational... Bill..

Edited by blucarsdn

the later magnums are quite the package for the dollar as found today...as they are basically 20 years old now since inception and phased out with the Powertec....OHC design...they can be bought as noted above for a reasonable sum.....I bought one just because the price was aright.....318 Magnum, 4 speed auto tranny, computer and harness for 300.00..very hard to pass up and their are components out the yang for this series of engine ..you can go stock mild or wild..I loved watching the Jeeps so equipped with the 360's with super chargers installed running at the local track..impressive for their size, weight and fact that they still idle nicely as mums runs to the corner store for groceries..you will also be surprised at the mix and match you still have available form the 60-90 's

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

If you have you heart set on an LS chevy motor, then clipping the original chassis with an s10 or other gm front clip is probably not a bad option however using the stock plymouth front end with any of the common v8 engines is totally doable, both have their drawbacks though. If you keep the stock chassis the firewall, steering box and shaft will be your biggest obstacles plus converting to disk brakes and rebuilding the control arms, king pins etc... If you use an s10 or some type of gm front clip you get disk brakes, power steering a front end that you can rebuild for $100, the steering box wont be in the way, you can use bolt in style motor mounts for the ls motor, but you will have to build a steering column, figure out how to mount the radiator, attach the front sheetmetal and bumper to the new front clip, etc... There's no way to do an engine swap in these cars without some type of fabrication involved so it all depends on your fab skills and what your comfortable with. 

Edited by Daliant.

I knew that Chrysler cars were very well built, only having one fault, an underpowered, unreliable six cylinder...... Bill..

There is currently an interesting thread on this forum about the Chrysler flathead 6 engines. It lists a lot of things but not once did I read (and I read everything twice to make sure) anything about the engines being underpowered and unrealiable.

CLICK HERE------>>> http://p15-d24.com/topic/34972-help-creating-car-show-flathead-sign/#entry354623

There is currently an interesting thread on this forum about the Chrysler flathead 6 engines. It lists a lot of things but not once did I read (and I read everything twice to make sure) anything about the engines being underpowered and unrealiable.

CLICK HERE------>>> http://p15-d24.com/topic/34972-help-creating-car-show-flathead-sign/#entry354623

Thank you Don.  That’s been bugging me since I read it.  I mean unreliable?  Chrysler used them in everything from 33 to 59, and in some trucks into the 60’s.  Not to mention fork lifts, airport tugs, and what else?

• Like 1