"the steep learning curve " 39 dodge sedan !

sig

welded the rot in the drivers side rear inner wing and made up a skirt to try out the art deco streamliner  look!

I think I like it

IMG_8067_zps1c8b9cac.jpg

Yeah,I think I like it,too.

yep built fer that would be the ideal..but I think its better to keep as is for the moment until I´m convinced

had a good day at it today..rear wing welded on, and smoothed and blended (more or less!)

also managed to make the jag rear seat fit (chop out the central arm rest panel), also the jag petrol tank mocked up and starting to think about the exhaust

all needs doing before I start building the floor in , also I need to bear in mind the potential of having the jag rear suspension in at some point.

loving this project 

IMG_8077_zps49ec0b09.jpg

IMG_8074_zps7961ac39.jpgIMG_8078_zps6ed55a8a.jpg

yep I agree casper.and quite an easy job...obviously I made sure all the inner wing stuff was sorted before hand !..discovered a bit of buckling on the vertical panel above the weld today in a different light but it popped out with a couple of hits from a rubber mallet.

I have a question for you all...does anyone see anything massively stupid about sending the first section of the exhaust through the middle of the cross in the chassis members just below the drive shaft?..there seems to be plenty of room and it would keep everything tidy and high...from then the single tube goes into a silencer and comes out into dual exhausts which would run over the axle and out along the underneath of the sides of the bigger fuel tank.

sounds like a plan but not sure !!!

Sig, Sig, Sig...........lol...........what are you trying to do to the Yanks?..........silencer, wings, bonnet, skirt?????????????lol.......you'll have them scratching their heads for sure.........lol..........looking good tho' mate.....andyd 

haha ! oops I didnt even realise..its hard enough talking in feet and inches!...sorry Yáll !

plymouthy, I´ve messed around with the original cross plys on the old wheels and they now fit..the jag things were doing my head in !

but spend most evenings trying to pick wheels from france germany , england or the states..has to be cheap and cheerful !

spent a couple of hours cutting little cheese slices out of exhaust tube to get the right curves...we´re at the back axle...I think i´ll just go straight and under near the diff and then sideways out the back..if not the jag rear (which is loads more complicated) will foul everywhere and possibly cause trouble at a later date

IMG_8088_zps05c29385.jpg

Sig, will you have enough clearance under the driveshaft for the exhaust pipes?...........looks very close.........andyd 

Sig, will you have enough clearance under the driveshaft for the exhaust pipes?...........looks very close.........andyd 

It does look like it would get very noisy if you drove over a heave in the road and the rear suspension fully extended .........

Marty

it is close and It took ages today sorting it and the fuel tank out, but I think it´ll work..will add pix tomorrow

Join a pair of the factory stamped holes that are in the X members and use the then "oval" hole to run the exhaust thru, the driveshaft doesn't appear to have enough clearance......andyd

to be honest I can´t continue much further with the exhaust and the clearance issues until the proper ride height is settled. the leaf springs are shot  and i´ll have to do a transplant with something I can find at the scrap yard. I don´t want to spend much money incase the new jag rear goes in!..chicken and egg situation !

anyway I was doing the bumper bars for the ford pickup so I started playing with the dodge rear also..( remember the original is on a roadside somewhere in north carolina !!!!)

I´ve always like the continental kit rear ends, and I suppose this is a bit inspired in that..emphasis on fat arse and rear aesthetic weight. only spot welded as I´ve run out of MIG gas ! and the works van is trashed thanks to a crash on monday !

IMG_8120_zpsc00e6518.jpgIMG_8109_zps2c1477d9.jpg

yep I agree casper.and quite an easy job...obviously I made sure all the inner wing stuff was sorted before hand !..discovered a bit of buckling on the vertical panel above the weld today in a different light but it popped out with a couple of hits from a rubber mallet.

I have a question for you all...does anyone see anything massively stupid about sending the first section of the exhaust through the middle of the cross in the chassis members just below the drive shaft?..there seems to be plenty of room and it would keep everything tidy and high...from then the single tube goes into a silencer and comes out into dual exhausts which would run over the axle and out along the underneath of the sides of the bigger fuel tank.

sounds like a plan but not sure !!!

Here's one I done earlier

post-6603-0-54102500-1395569031_thumb.jpg

ahh that helps a lot , thanks I´ll get rejigging the exhaust route asap. also yesterday they confirmed that we can take the ford and the dodge to riverside show at the beginning of may (its basically the spanish hotrod show) I have 1 month to get them both presentable (if not running !)

spent a couple of hours cutting little cheese slices out of exhaust tube to get the right curves...we´re at the back axle...I think i´ll just go straight and under near the diff and then sideways out the back..if not the jag rear (which is loads more complicated) will foul everywhere and possibly cause trouble at a later date

IMG_8088_zps05c29385.jpg

post-6603-0-15335400-1395582012_thumb.jpgpost-6603-0-15335400-1395582012_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

started in a visor (which is very tricky to get right ) made out of the rear quarters of the old jag..still not right but getting there

IMG_8175_zpsad6949fe.jpgIMG_8167_zps925efad0.jpg

no its not a state inspection its a hot rod show !...quite a differnt ball game  :P  :D

practical stuff done today..floor and boot sub frame, rust treatment and primer on the chassis, and rear boot (trunk) bottom lip redone with new metal as it was rotted out

IMG_8177_zps7b62fcb3.jpgIMG_8185_zpse9370665.jpgIMG_8178_zps60a78bc8.jpg

some friends sourced some original marshal headlamps (PRESUMEABLY FROM 30´S O 40´S)  for the front..loving them

IMG_8190_zps628daf07.jpg

• Like 1