5 Lug 15" Rim Swap

RodFru2u

While driving the truck ('50 B2B ) this morning I felt a shimmy and shaking about 2 miles from the shop ( Pop's Garage). I limped there and luckily coasted to a stop. Got out of the truck looked at the front end and darn near had to change my shorts. The drivers side front wheel ( rim) was split, Some how it looks like the center of the rim was ripped out and twisted out of the rim, There is less then 1" of untorn metal that is holding the two pieces together. Even the tow driver could not be sure the truck would make it up the ramp ( flat bed tow). Pop and I check all the vehicles in the fleet for a swap out rim because of course I HAVE NO SPARE. Well turns out Mom's 2000 Lincoln Town Car 16" rim had the same 5 bolt pattern and fit, However there was NO mounting/locating hole for the front. On the truck there were three different type of rims all the same bolt pattern some with locating holes one without. We swapped out the rear rim with the locating hole to the front and mounted the Lincoln tire/rim on the rear. Felt it would be ok to get it home, on the flat bed.

Well now that it is home the question is What rims are out there that will fit a 15" - 5 bolt pattern? Anybody have a suggestion on what Car/Trucks and years  I should be looking for in the junk yard ?

Thanks for any advice and help,

Rod

post-6074-0-89115200-1377452144_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-59806900-1377452402_thumb.jpg

Wow-I've never seen that on a car or small truck rim, although I have seen it on a 16" Budd that was run with only half the lug nuts on it (no it wasn't mine).  I may be wrong, but I think the small bolt patterned Dodge pickups (up through mid 80's) the Jeep CJ series and maybe the Ford F1's have the same lug pattern.  You'd have to remove the locating pin to use these.  If I'm wrong, I apologize-but this is what I think I've heard.   Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  Mike

no need to remove the locating pin just drill a hole dead center between two holes  (and on the 4.5 circle)...just be aware that as the cars got newer they started their positive offset move to what we have today...this offset will cause some problems in the front long before the rear..the front tie rod ends are subject to rub the inside of the tire especially with a radial bulge..for reference, I used 1988 Chrysler 5th Ave wheels with wire caps on my '49...excellent for the rear..had to use 5/16 I think it was spacers in the front to ensure no rub on the tire rod end..this is about the max spacer you can use and get away with stock lug bolts..Dodge cars had studs...maybe some model trucks did also...

for this failure I would question how long this wheel was either buried in the mud or layed inverted with repeated rain and dry cycles that promoted rust pits on the inner side..else that puppy's suspension was really good and pulling many lateral G's on the slab

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You can also go after market, like wheelvitique smoothies or similar.  You can get them is various widths and offsets.  I have a set of 15's I got from Summit Racing on sale years ago.  they are 5 inch and 3 inch offset (about 4 is all you can go without spacers)  They are centered for Ford, Mopar lug pattern as well as GM and when aligned the alignment pin fits into a GM hole.

the small bolt patterned Dodge pickups (up through mid 80's) the Jeep CJ series and maybe the Ford F1's have the same lug pattern.

cj bolt pattern from the 70s and 80s is 5 on 5.5, so unless the 1/2 ton dodges use a 5.5 bolt circle, late-model cj rims won't work. on the other hand, jeep yj wheels used 5 on 4.5, so those could work.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions, I think I found one local in Bell Gardens CA. I will know for sure once he gets it from another shop. I did find a rim that will work as a spare ( once I drill it for the locating hole). I am keeping my eyes open for another rim  just in case. I'll be hitting a few junk/salvage  yards in the area in the next few days Thanks for the list of cars for me to check out .

Thanks again for the knowledge you all possess and share with all,

Rod

1/2 tons are easy. Go find a 48-roughly 84 100/150 Dodge in the junkyard. They fit fine, my truck has 1978 Ramcharger 15 inch wheels on it while I clean and paint the stock 16 inch set that has wide whites. The 15 inch set will see modern tires and full wheel covers, like 5 Lancer, 53 Fiesta or similar.

F1/F100 and real Jeeps (that means CJ series) are 5 on 5.5, I've owned plenty of both.

Heck, you can run 14 inch spare rims off Rangers, they have locating holes already. I knocked the pegs out of my truck's hubs/rear drums to fit alloys, and never got around to converting it to modern studs instead of the goofy factory wheel bolts.

Thanks ALL for the rim suggestions and all the quick replies about my rim troubles. WoW what a wealth of information you all have. I was LUCKY and found  two good OEM rims.I was given one that was in a pile of rusted scrap and bought another from a RV Dealer. I looked at quite a few rims that would work but looked different, I even bought one and  drilled it for the locating pin on the front.I now have a spare tire ( Yippie). Now one of my problem is where to put it? The PO installed a fuel cell where the spare tire would go, So I either have to mount it in the bed or side mount it.

Turns out I was VERY LUCKY, Upon closer inspection I had less than 1 Inch of solid metal. It was thought maybe I was running too large a tire. I have P235 75 R 15's mounted , I read old posts and seems many of the group use the same size on their trucks. I know my alignment is in need of adjustment but I've never seen nor anybody looking at the wheel a break like the one I have.

Oh well, Just another fun day playing with these trucks.Thanks again for all the replies and help, Now I get to work on some of the other issues that 'Ole Bessie has.

More posts and questions to come in the future,

Rod

post-6074-0-90450100-1377701608_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-80819000-1377701644_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-00505000-1377701673_thumb.jpg