Yes, You Can Rattle Can Your Truck.........................

• 3 weeks later...

B1B Keven -.. nice,  I've got the dog house off mine that I've started to 'rust-o-rattle can'.  Turning out well so far, but I'm concerned about the longevitiy of the rust-o-leum.   I bought a couple quart cans to do the grain box - i'll have to mortgage the house to rattle can that.   Everything is on hold for the next year or two though as I have everything (truck / paint/ parts/ some tools) in storage. 

......but I'm more interested in the details for the seat.   maybe pointer to (or start) the thread on seat details..?   thx 

Racks brush painted in 2001, green rattle canned in 2005, pic taken in 2011...

1969DodgeWithRacks_zps8d6f51b2.jpg

Nothing a wash and wax wouldn't cure for the green. Racks are getting brush painted white. Truck is currently in the field by the barn, will be towed to the front yard and set up as a pecan sales stand this fall while it is getting rewired.

B1B Keven -.. nice,  I've got the dog house off mine that I've started to 'rust-o-rattle can'.  Turning out well so far, but I'm concerned about the longevitiy of the rust-o-leum.   I bought a couple quart cans to do the grain box - i'll have to mortgage the house to rattle can that.   Everything is on hold for the next year or two though as I have everything (truck / paint/ parts/ some tools) in storage. 

......but I'm more interested in the details for the seat.   maybe pointer to (or start) the thread on seat details..?   thx 

Thanks!

The seat was done locally. I highly reccomend the shop. Let me know if you want the #.

• 1 month later...

Tom Sawyer move over, This is how you get your Truck painted! On the list of things to do on  my truck, painting it was near the bottom.However my wife, friends and family could not handle the gray primmer paint job one of the last owners sprayed all over 'Ole Bessie. Everybody ( except me ) hated the unfinished look, I knew one day I would paint her but was not ready or had figured out a paint color or scheme. After everybody was on board ( except me ), it was decided it would be a surprise birthday party ( except my B day is in Jan. ) . After I cracked the front rim, my wife had to tell me just in case I was going to take a baseball bat to the truck. Well after I fixed the truck again I had two weeks to prepare for a paint job. I had taken the truck to " ONE DAY AUTO PAINT " for a quickie one color paint job and was surprised at the $ 1200 price, I figure the gotta make a profit but WOW.

After looking at all the pictures in the TRUCK PHOTO sections in the Forum ( Thank You Very Much ) I liked the way the Dark Hunter Green cab looked with the Black box.When I asked around, Some thought it broke the truck up and did not flow. I went out and bought a can of Rust-Oleum Gloss Dark Hunter Green Quick Dry and Gloss Black. I did not like the way the green looked after I sample sprayed an area, So I decided I would spray the gloss black and then try the green over that. Got a very nice shade of green that way,  Soooooo I masked the truck and painted the entire thing in Gloss Black, then I decided to just do the flares,running boards and rear fenders in Semi Gloss Black.

My plan was to keep them busy for a few hours at best, I made a " Paint Booth " with plastic drop cloths and rope to protect the Apartments behind Pop's office. We got lucky with no wind and cloudy skies to start with sunny and warm for the second coat. All in all it took 8 cans of Gloss Black ( one light coat ) 14 cans of Dark Hunter Green ( two coats ), 5 cans of Semi Gloss Black       ( two coats ). I will let the paint cure for a few weeks and then maybe color sand it or not

Thanks to the Forum for giving me the courage to attempt this, I now have a truck that will not be put in the back row with the "junkers" and will last and not rust away with the horrible winters we have here in Southern California.  LOL

Here are some pictures,  Rod

post-6074-0-45929800-1380745891_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-36528300-1380745968_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-04504500-1380745995_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-39046500-1380746021_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-43144500-1380746046_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-66453000-1380746075_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words, the paint job looks good from 20 feet away going 45 mph. Up close the 63+ hard years of running 'Ole Bessie show up big time. Funny thing is, On the road  I got more thumbs up  as  an ongoing project then I do as a "Finished" truck.  I'm now thinking about side rails on the bed, Think I like that look.

My 49 is getting the 2 tone primer job. Grey where it will be cream, red oxide where it will be dark. Have to see if I really like 2 tone in person before I start buying the color coats. Looks good in online pictures, real life may be a different story. Rustoleum does now offer auto paint colors, at least all the Autozones around here currently carry a dozen shades or so.