Pilot House Front Grill Differences

Hi everyone,I got a question that I have been trying to figure out and I guess I'm just to dumb on the subject to do it on my own.But here goes.I have heard that the 1948 thru 1952 is the same body style but I keep seeing two different grills.My 50 has the three grill bars with narrow slits,then I see some that has one big opening with a double  bar across the opening and the parking lights are in the bar itself.What is the difference between the two?

post-6026-0-07390100-1371771646_thumb.jpg

post-6026-0-58118000-1371771696_thumb.jpg

'48 - '53 are all B-Series trucks. There was a few minor changes on the second generation, B-2's, for the 1950 model year, but they were still visually the same. Then for the 3rd generation, B-3's, they changed the grill, the hood (slightly), the dash layout, and the doors (slightly), along with a few other minor mechanical changes. Then in '53, the B-4, there were another set of very minor changes and one major one in the rear fenders. But other than all of that they are all the same.  ;)

• Like 1

Ok thanks,that's kinda along the lines I was thinking but then I would run across a picture showing a 2 bar grill and saying it was a 1950.

Yep, our Aussie ones are a bit different: 48-53 'B' series trucks had the 3 grille bars, 54-56 'C' series trucks had the 2 grille bars, 57-58 'E' series had the single grille bars. The attached pic of some of my other trucks show the differences...

post-3915-0-69151700-1371804035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the 52/53 grill is a two bar grill with a twist. I has the "job rated" piece in the center and includes the park lights, so it is a very wide grille. The 54/54 grill is a true two bar grill. Additionally, 52/53 and the 54/55 grills are set in an opening, while the 48/51 bars attach to a fount and are 'dressin'. they can be removed and the front is still 'complete', in that there is no hole to fill.

It is interesting that the Chevys and Fords used very similiar grills, i.e., bars in 48-51 and "Grills" threreafter. The designers HAD to have some contact with each other to make such similar grill changes in the SAME years.

The car grills were very simiilar in all makes and years. Very interesting. One would think they would have tried to upstage each other but by and large did not. Nash/Rambler was an exctiption for they introduced the unibody, step down floor board, curved side windows, fresh air heater, to name a few. In many ways they were ahead of their time.

Ok thanks,that's kinda along the lines I was thinking but then I would run across a picture showing a 2 bar grill and saying it was a 1950.

The "years" got muddled a bit my the DMV. Sometimes it was titled to the year it got registered, as in the case with my B-2-C, which is titled as a 1951. The truck that I saw that got me interested in these trucks was listed as a '50, but now that I know better I know it was a B-3-B and more likely a '51.

48-50 if the bars fall off it looks like a Studebaker... kind of. 51 up if the bars fall off it looks like an in construction 53-56 F series... kind of. My preference is for the 48-50 front pan and the round top fenders (or swap the cycle type for 39-47 fenders, makes the truck look more proportional, kind of, the stock fenders are too small visually), and if the grill bars fall off, no harm no foul, the radiator is still protected.

"fall off"   ??? .....lol

I just came in, sweatin my ass off from the heat, trying to take the grill bars off a 50..... 

Not a fun job. :)

48D

What, all it takes is a 1/4" drive ratchet and a slight amount of pressure... the bolts should shear right off. ;)  My 49 was in a barn from 74-94, outside from 94-current. Look at the bars funny and a mounting tab bolt will pop. Debating on straighten and weld in new bolts or toss them aside and run it plain. Guaranteed every single bolt and about 1/2 the spot welds on mine are going to fail.