Part Number Help. Connecting Rod 218

Powerhouse

Hello all,

I have searched quite a bit for the p# for the 218 connecting rod.  I came up with a supplier but he says they are 230. 

Can anyone show me where I can provide him with documentation that it is 218. 

The p# I have is 617925, am i wrong?  I also have 1115901 for odd cylinders and 1115902 for even cylinders.  Were they stamped with both numbers? 

Thanks much.

The 218  rod part# 617925 has a 7.937" c to c measurement. The 230 is slightly shorter.

On the short engines the rods are off set from the cylinder bores.  If you aline then on the pin holes on an appropriate size dowel rod  in the order that they came out of the engine you will see what I an talking about.  The big ends will be forward on one and aft on two and continue on in this manner, if they are put on parallel you will see that the oil squirt hole is on opposite sides due to the off set.  That is the reason for the difference in rod part numbers so that you will not try to put a even numbered rod in an odd numbered hole because the oil hole will now squirt at the non cam side of the engine.

Edited by james curl

Pretty sure while they have different part numbers the forge number is the same on odd and even.  As James pointed out using the oil hole to align the same way and then viewing the big end your will see the differences. 

thanks.  I am waiting for a call back from the vendor.

I found this on VPW but for 230CI:

For short 23" block 230CI:

casting #954376 Fits # 1,3,5 cylinders (7 13/16” ctr to ctr) 230
casting #954408 Fits #2,4,6 cylinders (7 13/16” ctr to ctr) 230

For longer block 230CI:

casting #2128951 Fits ALL cylinders (7 13/16” ctr to ctr) 230

just found this in a mopar part# interchange pdf.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&safe=active&autocomplete=off&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmoparcarparts.com%2Finstructions%2F50to65_Mopar_Parts_Interchange_Manual.pdf&ei=VAQoUbWIEK_8iQLNhYDACg&usg=AFQjCNFUf9mHNrOc6GUyuAtjOCxHmnOWtg&bvm=bv.42768644,d.cGE

2128951   7.95
230 - Dodge '49-59/Dodge Tr '57-66/Plymouth late '54-59

1115901/2   7.95
218 - Plymouth '49-early '54/Dodge Tr '48-54 

Dodge Tr '54-56 230

well, they were the shorter ones according to the vendor. And have no other part numbers on them, not even cylinder numbers??? I give up.  I thought they would have cylinder numbers stamped even for the early 230s since they are not even spaced.  Looks like i'm outa luck on those remans.

Edited by Powerhouse

I have to take them out to see. I plan this weekend to take the rods out of my other engine that is on a wooden stand.  I was planning on putting nice new reconditioned rods in my car's engine so I'd have as little down time as possible.  The car is my only transportation right now.   The rods that were in question have the forge number...but nothing else according to the vender.

Edited by Powerhouse

OK.  I got the rods and stuff out of my old engine and found that the pistons are .060, I guess that block is pretty much maxed out.  This block is from an early 54 dodge truck....not a 230.  But SO close...dangit. 

rod cast numbers: all = 954371,   part numbers only the same on 2,5,6.

1 - 12446

2 - 13424

3 - 13502

4 - 13530

5 - 13424

6 - 13424

Pisotn looked way different than the others I have.  I am guessing it is a truck piston?  P# 1000 conformatic?

Edited by Powerhouse

Because you can never be sure about the rod part numbers, I always number the rods from front to back as I take them out and put the number on the cam side of the rod and cap at the parting line.  You just have to line up the numbers rod to cap to get the caps on correctly every time and not ever mix them up by accident.

• Like 1

Because you can never be sure about the rod part numbers, I always number the rods from front to back as I take them out and put the number on the cam side of the rod and cap at the parting line.  You just have to line up the numbers rod to cap to get the caps on correctly every time and not ever mix them up by accident.

Great advice!

James..like you I would have gone for just what it took to clean the bore and save all the metal for future repairs/rebuilds..the small amount of displacement gain is not enough to justify the max bore..

Totally agree!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powerhouse, keep going as you will get everything sorted out with the help of the guys on this forum!

Edited by RobertKB

Thanks all for the great info.  I didn't realize we could/should go over .060 bore.   

I ordered the rods anyway so we will see what they are when I get them.  The vendor was VERY nice and said I can return them if they don't work out.  If they are 230s I may keep them for a future 230 build with that 54 Dodge truck 218 block I have.  I already have a nice milled head for it, I accidentally milled a later style head for the early block.  It didn't cost me to mill it since I did it at work thanks to my boss. Seems like these things are getting harder to find.  I guess they aren't anything the masses are looking for though.

Edited by Powerhouse

• 1 month later...