Is It Okay To Replace Old Bolts With SS?

Bingster

according to where you going to put them...stainless is easy to gall...not sure I will install in a blind hole..nutted..okay...if you wish to use a very high grade of corrosion resistance bolts say into water jackets..use monel...as for areas of body trim, fender panels etc..yeah..

No problems with using stainless steel. As others noted, you just have to make sure you use the same grade as the fastener's your replacing.

I've picked over heaps that were falling apart - but all the stainless stuff was still in excellent shape.

Polishes up nice and purdy, too.

Every possible fastener I can replace with the right grade of stainless steel is getting replaced with stainless steel. The stuff that needs a better quality (or just a more interesting look) will be marine grade high strength silicon bronze.

Only hard ones to find so far have been the acme thread fasteners for the floor pans, hood and radiator cover. I'll see about getting some spun up for me at a local trade school machining course. No local bolt houses can even order acme threads anymore, kinda strange, since every semi on the road has them from the factory (brake can caging bolts).

Next time I feel the need to dismantle my truck I shouldn't have anywhere near the problems.

Even head bolts can be ordered in stainless...