Glass Prices

I am ready to have my glass cut for the whole truck, 53 B4B(both windshield halves, both doors and rear windshield) I have been quoted 300 for all of it. I was just wondering if that price is comparable to what some of yall have paid.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Not an expert on cost but from what I have seen sounds reasonable. Where did you get your templets? I have a 1953 B-4-H 152 I am just starting to work on and this will be my first truck so I am very green on what works on what. Do you think the cab are the same?

I am pretty new to the Piolit house world myself, so I'm no help on what would cross over. There are a lot of guys on here wjho know ther stuff. One of them will know for sure.

The truck still had the front, back windshields, and the right door glass was broken but still intact when I got it. I took all of the glass out and I'm going to take the originals to glass shop.

I paid $400 for my glass and installation. I don't think I was ripped off, guy knew his shnit and was done quickly w/ no broken glass (by him :o ). I had all 9 windows installed (curved corners were originals obviously).

Edited by ggdad1951

That seems real high. I just have a side window cut and installed in the frame for $20.00.

but is the glass you got tempered?..I would say not as it was cut and installed at the same time..now it is not required by law but I still like the safety of tempered glass..plain glass in not expensive and while I do not know if the quote he got is for tempered, I would guess it probably is. The windshield being flat will be safety glass only but the rest will often be tempered....I paid 437.00 for 9 pieces of glass, 7 of which were delivered about 2 weeks after the windshield as they were cut and sent off to be fired..this cutting, polishing the edge, shipping to be fired and then shipping to me all cost a bit of coin but even so it was a great deal..even come with the glass setting tape..and all the glass is gray tint also..no pattern needed all were NAG spec CNC cut

so in short..if his glass is not tempered in his quote..yeah, maybe a tad on the high side..

but is the glass you got tempered?..I would say not as it was cut and installed at the same time..now it is not required by law but I still like the safety of tempered glass..plain glass in not expensive and while I do not know if the quote he got is for tempered, I would guess it probably is. The windshield being flat will be safety glass only but the rest will often be tempered....I paid 437.00 for 9 pieces of glass, 7 of which were delivered about 2 weeks after the windshield as they were cut and sent off to be fired..this cutting, polishing the edge, shipping to be fired and then shipping to me all cost a bit of coin but even so it was a great deal..even come with the glass setting tape..and all the glass is gray tint also..no pattern needed all were NAG spec CNC cut

so in short..if his glass is not tempered in his quote..yeah, maybe a tad on the high side..

mine was all lam glass with the proper edges ground and such.

About 8-10 yrs ago my two windshield pieces cost less than $75.00 installed, and the full pane door glass was about $25.00-I installed that one myself. All safety glass. Mike

Types of Glass:

Plate Glass is the kind of glass you put a baseball through.

Tempered Glass is, that's the kind of glass that your coffee or dining table is made from. Tempered glass was in the Lab that Segouney Weaver and that little girl (that was obviously picked for her piercing scream) got locked in by Paul Riser. When they tried to break the glass with a metal chair it just bounced back. Tempered Glass cannot be cut in it's tempered state. It's made by first cutting the glass and then tempered by a heat process. I think Pilothouse corner windows are Tempered Glass.

Laminated Glass or Laminated Safety Glass has a clear plastic layer (mylar?) between 2 pieces of glass. Laminated glass is used to replace flat glass in Automobiles it is not tempered, can be cut the same as plate glass by any glass shop and shaped by edge sanding.

I suspect modern autos use Tempered Safety Glass, which must be made by heat forming Laminated Glass and then putting through a tempering process.

With the exception of corner windows our Pilothouse Glass is Laminated Safety Glass.

I guess?

Hank :confused:

Edited by HanksB3B

hank, you have it mostly right. Only the windshield is laminated in modern autos....that's why it's "easy" to shatter the side windows in a car and get inside.

Tempering the glass makes it extremly strong. Patio door glass and skyscraper glass is tempered. You can run full speed into a sliding patio door and not get thru likely. But, it's is VERY fragile at the edges.

One of my best friends works at a glass company as an engineer and he could bore your ears off with all the new glass types and "blends" of technologies out there now. There is even a newer glass that is self cleaning in sunlight!

Types of Glass:In part.......

With the exception of corner windows our Pilothouse Glass is Laminated Safety Glass.

I guess?

Hank :confused:

yes Hank...nothing to be confused about, personal choice in safety... originally all is laminated..but it is your choice to keep it old style or move up to tempered glass..I choose to upgrade..that was all I was saying..each can go the way they think best..modern cars will not get you side or rear glass that is not tempered..

There is even a newer glass that is self cleaning in sunlight!

I saw that when I was buying new windows for the house. Very cool but it was out of my price range :(

My two door windows and my windshields cost me $180.

Did that include the installation? I am desperately seeking a good glass installer for my 52, and the truck will be in fresno with my mechanic friend at the end of July.

Sending you a PM with my new contact info and would appreciate any leads on getting my glass in this thing.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I dint know if it was for tempered or laminated, but the 300.00 is just fro the glass. No installation. I'm going to take the windows to another place tomorrow and see what it will cost me.

Before my son bought his 52 Plym the previous owner had one window replaced at a local glass shop. They took a windshield from a tractor/trailor that had been chipped in a corner and cut it out to fit the 52. I thought that was cool that they could save and use that piece. It saved the previous owner a good chunk of change.