Steering wheel conversion?

Anyone ever tried to make a newer 18" wheel fit these old coluns? The key way style wheel isn't exactly one you go down to the local big truck seller and buy...and the Pete dealer here has some beautiful custom wheels..but no idea how to make it fit this column?\

Thanks guys...just getting tired of the black hands and cracked wheel plastic

I am sure you could make it happen if that is what you want. But I must ask why? Trying to steer one of these old cars with a toy wheel would be very difficult without power assist. And if you want a small wheel why not buy a new car? The steering wheels are one of the many things that make these old cars great. Even if I were to convert to R&P power steering I would keep the original steering wheel.

tack_2.jpg

I am sure you could make it happen if that is what you want. But I must ask why? Trying to steer one of these old cars with a toy wheel would be very difficult without power assist. And if you want a small wheel why not buy a new car? The steering wheels are one of the many things that make these old cars great. Even if I were to convert to R&P power steering I would keep the original steering wheel.

tack_2.jpg

You must not have read the post correctly..I want an original size 18" wheel, but something newer and better looking then the dodge truck wheel, not to mention mine is all cracked..., but not one out of an old car that has the wrong logo in it either. Kind of a rude post Don...

A machine shop capable of broaching keyways should be able to machine an adapter for you. Pop your wheel off for dimensions and get dimensions/patterns for the wheel you desire to install.

I ended up covering the wheels in both my old Dodges with RV covers. Couldn't find an adapter for the 69's column (I want a nice mahogany Peterbilt spec, I drive a 379 extended hood heavy hauler) and didn't bother hunting for a swap for the 49. I think it cost $10 or $12 per truck for the covers, Pep Boys usually has them. If not, some truck stops will, Freightliner Columbias use small wheels so the shops carry some smaller covers. Oh, Freightliner had keyed steering wheels up into the middle of the decade on some models, try those dealerships too.

Nothing rude in my opinion about my post. Please explain why you think it is rude? The wheel is original for my Plymouth P-15. Not original for a truck.

"and if you want a small wheel why not go buy a new car"

What does wanting to improve the truck have to do with your statement above? And to be 100% honest I'm anti original, what makes these old vehicles great to me is making it my own and improving what the designers couldn't do in those days, but with keeping the feel of the era.

I'll try freightliner tomorrow maybe.. Thanks guys... Tried every shop around for a cover but nobody had

I can assure you that by the time you buy a big rig fancy wheel, have an adapter made to safely install to your column, adapt your horn center to it to finish out the look you can easily pull your original and have it professionally redone...and you often times can find one for sale that is in very good original condition for lot less hassle and money and not loose the use of the car awaiting a turn-around on your wheel..and odds are the adapter will need be machined from your original wheel as a donor thus if it goes wrong..you are now out your wheel completely...study this a bit more before you move on it..even buying another nicer stock wheel on e-bay or from a seller in the parts column of this forum and having it refinished should be more affordable..

I can assure you that by the time you buy a big rig fancy wheel, have an adapter made to safely install to your column, adapt your horn center to it to finish out the look you can easily pull your original and have it professionally redone...and you often times can find one for sale that is in very good original condition for lot less hassle and money and not loose the use of the car awaiting a turn-around on your wheel..and odds are the adapter will need be machined from your original wheel as a donor thus if it goes wrong..you are now out your wheel completely...study this a bit more before you move on it..even buying another nicer stock wheel on e-bay or from a seller in the parts column of this forum and having it refinished should be more affordable..

The stock Dodge truck wheel isn't exactly a finishing touch to a truck that's not stock on the interior either..I have 3 wheels to choose from and their all the same, except for the one that had the horn ring, but it was all broke when I got it.

This is basically what I was after

post-6898-1358536330506_thumb.jpg

Anyone ever tried to make a newer 18" wheel fit these old coluns? The key way style wheel isn't exactly one you go down to the local big truck seller and buy...and the Pete dealer here has some beautiful custom wheels..but no idea how to make it fit this column?\

try wheelskins.com...just got mine covered...looks great and no more black hands!

• 1 month later...
Being up here in the Great White North, our options are limited and not as easy to get the work done. I might have to see about getting a shop to make it fit

If you have a stock steering wheel, and it needs to be re-cast, then it can be done by an Old Mopar guru, in Winnipeg.

PM me if you want his name and contact info

For a temporary fix until you get another wheel or this one fixed, you can always clean, and shoot on some paint, at leat your hands would be clean....

Your local auto upholstery shop can cover your wheel with leather very easily. They do it all the time on late model cars.

Here is how they do it. First they cut a strip of leather. Then perforate the leather by running the sewing machine up both sides with no thread in it. Finally they sew the ends together.

The cover is made slightly smaller than the wheel so when they stretch it over the wheel, it sort of wraps itself around. Then they take some nylon thread and a curved sewing needle and sew the seam around the inside of the rim.

If you look at some expensive cars like Lincoln, BMW, Cadillac they have the same type of leather wrapped steering wheel.

When done it feels great and looks great, just like a luxury car. The cost is quite modest and they can usually match colors fairly close. If you want a perfect match you can always spray bomb your wheel before taking it to the upholstery shop. Because the wear surface of the wheel will be covered in leather, you do not need to worry about wearing off the paint.