Engine fired up but First Gear very noisy

Ok, Engine is RUNNING! Yeah... but the Gearbox is making a vibrating type noise when put into first. all other gears are great . Have the rear wheels of the ground and is ok to put through the gears, except the noise in first gear!

The book says the first gear is the same as the reverse so why no noise in reverse and only in first? Any Adjustments? Can it be I have assembled the top wrong when putting the lid back on?

4 speed or 3? On a 4 speed, the shift collar has teeth on the outside and reverse is engaged on those teeth, not the inner ones as 1st gear would use. Otherwise I would suspect a bent fork or a chipped tooth.

Usually the 3 speeds are the problem transmissions. 4 speeds are tough!

In a nutshell, no

3spd or 4spd, in high gear they both run straight thru 1to1 so there are no changes to the top end speed however the lower end is slower on the 4spd.

Yea... what he said. Basically, a 4 speed is a 3 speed with an extra low, low gear. However, the bell housings are different if you're going to swap them.

Well, that could well be! But I have removed the top of the box and fiddled with the gears putting it in what I think is the offending gear and indeed it vibrate and makes the noise with all the linkages removed...

is your truck a column shifter? i almost wonder, if so, then what if the shifter were out of adjustment and did something to make it not mesh right?