Plantation tour with my club

White Spyder

My local club got together to do a garage and home tour this weekend. When we started out it was 101 degrees and 'Bonnie" (my '48 Windsor) was pushing 200 on the temp gauge for the 40 mile trip to our first stop. Even though it was HOT when we were moving the air flow in the car made it a nice drive.

Took the attached photo as I turned into a restored plantation home built in 1842.

post-7706-13585362311663_thumb.jpg

Not bad. I live on an old plantation north of Memphis. Big house built in 1841 to replace the 1790s one that burned down.

It does need some work. I guess any house that old would...

Here's ours:

FarmHouseFront.jpg

Very nice house. I grew up in what is now the oldest inhabited house in that county.

When I lived in Northwest Arkansas, any house older than 5 years old was considered an older home. Any building over 25 y/o was considered beyond repair and scheduled for the wrecking ball.

Totally flabbergasting to my wife and I that both grew up in houses that were antebellum. Where she grew up, Albany NY, any thing 25 y/o was still considered a new house.

When I lived in Northwest Arkansas, any house older than 5 years old was considered an older home. Any building over 25 y/o was considered beyond repair and scheduled for the wrecking ball.

Totally flabbergasting to my wife and I that both grew up in houses that were antebellum. Where she grew up, Albany NY, any thing 25 y/o was still considered a new house.

Thats crazy. From what I've heard around here I'd rather have my 1954 model house than some of the poorly constructed new ones. Whoever built my place did one heck of a job. Fifty years later I replaced all the windows and every one was square and level.

No kidding Ed. That old manor house here survived a strong F3 that ate the pool house, ate a pecan tree as big around as a truck tire, ate a 150 year old black walnut tree, had the tenant house for dessert, the barn sides for a pre-bed snack, and washed it down with the contents of the swimming pool. :D

Lisa and I live in her grandmother's old house, across the driveway. Her dad lives in the big house. At least he doesn't use the carbide lighting anymore (he could, still in the house and doesn't leak).