starter motor not turning engine question

My stater motor is not turning my engine over. It seem to work when I take it out and use a battery to turn it freely but when I bolt it down it goes clank and nothing happens even when I use a 12 volt battery.

How do I check it the thing is faulty?

I think you are describing the same issue I had, bench tested fine but nothing on the truck. My issue was ground, and good cables.

Put the battery in place, hook up the regular cables and try it again. You just can't get enough power through common, over the counter starting leads (jumper cables).

Put the battery in place, hook up the regular cables and try it again. You just can't get enough power through common, over the counter starting leads (jumper cables).

don't I know that! Jumper cables just don't do it!

Cheap non professional jumper cables belong in the hands of copper thieves. Mine are made out of 2/0 heavy welding cable-they work real good. Starters need lots of free flowing current! Especially 6 volt cars.

Bob

You may want to remove the dust band and check the brushes and commutator. Worn down brushes, weak brush spring tension, corrosion on the comm will cause resistance and slow operation. Mike

bolted starter motor down, connected the cables direct to the starter, fully charged battery...parkplugs removed..said a prayer..and nothing! so, must be something inside the starter..

the only thing different is that I done is set the tappets and put oil in the engine..but I can turn the flywheel with a screwdriver...

It used to be able to turn the engine over before I did the tappets and filled it with oil.....

I did check the brushes and they looked ok to me...not sure about the "spring" ..

Edited by dontknowitall

The starter turned the motor over before the tappet setting and oil. Correct? How long ago was that? What was the reason for removing the starter? Cleaning the starter, especially with solvents may have saturated the field coils and partially grounded them causing a very weak or non-operating starter. Clean up the ground end of the ground cable if you haven't done so and the frame where it contacts. Tendency is to clean the battery ends of the cables and forget the other end is just as important.

as always Don posted some great pictures..in the first picture is the oillite bushing and the end cap.....this should be checked closely for wear when apart for brushes etc...you will usually see it is englongated to one side of the bush..this will offset the armature and cause dragging on the field winding causing exceedingly amount of current drain when trying to start..this extra current drain is what prevents proper current to the coil when starting and causes a lot of headaches with hard starting and slow turning of the starter..and as always this will generate heat that will cause for more current flow..runaway effect....usually these are just under 5.00

i got some from work, old outboard starter brushes. you wouldnt believe what you find in an old production/engineering facility!

BTW: your starter could be like the one i got from merle, it was FULL of sand, which kinda explains the growling! cleaned it out and got it some new brushes, works like new! :cool:

Spoke to Ronnie they were $5.50 for 4 brushes. He's shipping to me in California. Didn't check, but those looked like the real deal (OEM). Probably could get them anywhere (maybe) but first off they wouldn't be that inexpensive and second I'm thinking the A&B stock has been on the shelf for a while.

So Thanks,

Hank :)

Spoke to Ronnie they were $5.50 for 4 brushes. He's shipping to me in California. Didn't check, but those looked like the real deal (OEM). Probably could get them anywhere (maybe) but first off they wouldn't be that inexpensive and second I'm thinking the A&B stock has been on the shelf for a while.

So Thanks,

Hank :)

Glad that wortked for you.