6v or 12v

To see if the car is currently 12v, look at the battery. 6v batteries have three cells with three caps for checking the fluid level. 12v batteries have 6 cells and if not "maintenance free" will have 6 caps for checking fluid level.

a quick update of your profile and listing of your vehicle there can be a great resource for getting answers...your profile nor your question related to the listening audience here the make and model of your vehicle in question...most of us are going to assume it is of the 6 volt era.

As stated above you hae many physical indicator..cells in the battery, tag on generator, or use a volt meter and take a simple voltage reading..even without the meter or knowing a 6 from a 12 battery, pull a headlight and read the voltage off the back of the bulb..if converted and driven any after the conversion, these will definely have had to been upgrade if vehicle is now 12 volts..

If it's been correctly converted check the alternator or generator for a tag showing its output. If its an alternator and the voltage regulator is not being used it is most likely a 12V negative ground with an internally regulated alternator. Mike

It is a 1949 truck. It does not have a battery in it. I did not get a chance to look at the cables yet. The pictures I took are not close enough to tell for sure the color of the tag on the starter. It was delivered to my shop saturday and I only had about 15 min to look it over and take a couple of pics.

My shop is 4 hrs away from were I am. Thanks for the help, I'll check it out closer when I get back over to it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a 1 1/2 ton.

Does anyone have any idea about the turn signals on it? Was it an aftermarket kit? It looks like the control box for it under the dash(pic).

Also it looks like it has a wire coming out of the steering box. Any idea what that would be for?

post-7620-13585361190987_thumb.jpg

post-7620-13585361191723_thumb.jpg

post-7620-13585361192587_thumb.jpg

I think you've got a few things going on there. The box on the firewall says motorola and is the guts of a radio. Should have had a radio head with the controls mounted to the dash somewhere. The turnsignal stalk is aftermarket. And the only wire that usually comes out of the steering box is for the horn.