Tail Gate Letter Color

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any patents filed for this have LONG expired (17 year limit)...now any trademarks on the lettering on the other hand, those might be an issue depending if Dodge kept up the paper work for that.

I doubt they did....I'm able to have any logo from 68-70 reproduce for my race car from with no problem. I even raced it in the "Dodge Weekly Racing Series" with no grief. I was told by a rep from Chrysler that if I put any dodge images on my racing shirts to be sold, to just check with the company for approval. They dont want to be misrepresented, not rembursed. she also said if it was being used on a Chrysler product...meaning the logos...dont worry about it.

48D

that sounds odd. Patent law is pretty clear. You have one year for the date of puplic showing to patent. If you don't it becomes public domain. If you do you have a 17 year window that you are the only one to produce said product. After that it is public domain. Recently it has changed to 20 year protection, but considering these are ~60 years old that is irrelavent. Personally (thru work) holding about 40 patents right now and deal with my company's patent attourney on a regular babsis, the reasoning from Gary sounds a bit muddled. I'd say it's more of an issue with the tooling and such required to produce the product. If the bracket is sheet metal, send me details and I'll see if I can repro one.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=20362&highlight=bracket+side+mirror

A pattern has been made before...but don't know if anyone tried it again.

48D

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=20362&highlight=bracket+side+mirror

A pattern has been made before...but don't know if anyone tried it again.

48D

yikes, that looks like a TON of work! Maybe we should talk to some local VO-TEC and see if they'd do these as a project for a class and get a few dozen outa the deal! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
George, tailgate letters are on their way. Should have it by Thurs or Fri.

Bob, the tailgate letters showed up today! I'll need to do a little bodywork before I start on it. Did you want vinyl that sit on top of the letters (what color would you like?) or a template that goes around the bottom of the letters?

George

Bob, the tailgate letters showed up today! I'll need to do a little bodywork before I start on it. Did you want vinyl that sit on top of the letters (what color would you like?) or a template that goes around the bottom of the letters?

George

Hadn't thought about a template as I thought you were only going to make vinyl letters. The template would be nice so I can actually paint over the letters. I'm worried that the vinyl might come loose over time. Or am I wrong on that point?

I will make files for both a template and the letters. I don't know what this tailgate came off from, so I can't say what it'll fit. Whatever I'll make these available to all.

Maybe Bob can clarify the origin of this piece of tailgate? Oh, and the vinyl is good for 5 to 8 years.

George

I will make files for both a template and the letters. I don't know what this tailgate came off from, so I can't say what it'll fit. Whatever I'll make these available to all.

Maybe Bob can clarify the origin of this piece of tailgate? Oh, and the vinyl is good for 5 to 8 years.

George

I don't know the year. It's, of course, from a high side tailgate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

48D, been here all along! Just not much for me to post about? You guys have all the expertice on these trucks! My 48B1D is now a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 318/727/208 combo. Still in the mock up stages. No body work started yet. Frame boxed all suspension and running gear mounted. Much too cold to spend time in the shop right now though!

The tailgate letters come individually so they're easier to install. The mask will probably need to be the same way only painted one letter at a time. The spacing of the letters makes it difficult to do as one piece unless you have plenty of eperience working with vinyl. But if you want to try a one piece mask I can certainly make you one!

George

Hey G,

I know your a West Coaster like myself and have been on this site for quite awhile.....

Thought maybe you might have found another hobby...lol. Hope the Oregon weather is good and you

find yourself in the area someday, maybe even for a BBQ trip. lol.

48D 

• 11 months later...