I'm back

mrwrstory

Okay boys, here's the latest on the parts cleaning with household products subject..  

However, I've decided to start a new thread in the "OT" section so's to not put this stuff on folks who couldn't care less. 

IMG_5266_zpsf9367941.jpg

:)

In the meantime, check out this door handle.  It's from a Forty Ford and it and window cranks are available as repros.

They are quite reasonable and much less than restoring pitted stockers.  Sorry for offending the purists but ya gotta

do what ya gotta do!  The additional benefit is that they match the Plymouth shaft and pin dimensions and there is a 

nifty art-deco escutcheon that trims them off.  I'll post more images when I get to the install.

IMG_5274_zps4059ee1a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to a project that I have been puttin off for way too long.  I've always admired the design and engineering

of cost sensitive assemblies,....as in this case brake shoe linkage and parking brake assemblies.  Pretty cool how a bunch

of cheap goofy looking blanked parts hold together and perform the task of stopping your car.  Big challenge for me is putting

them all back together,....and with only two hands,..and with no leftover parts.

Reconded the parking brake mechanism and made it all functional with a Lokar cable kit.  A bit pricey but very nice stuff.

IMG_5487_zps3e258888.jpg

>

IMG_5462_zps0bcdc986.jpg

>

IMG_5457_zps6599f20b.jpg

​Now it's back to my carburetor restoration project. 

• Like 1

Did you go with the American Autowire Highway 15 kit? I'm considering that kit for my re-wire as it looks well made 

Yes, and I like it a lot.  Some conversation about that on another thread but I forget the topic heading.  You might try the search window.  There are cheaper alternatives but I am very happy with what I got,...especially quality and customer service.

Yes, and I like it a lot.  Some conversation about that on another thread but I forget the topic heading.  You might try the search window.  There are cheaper alternatives but I am very happy with what I got,...especially quality and customer service.

Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

Just reviewed this thread after some nice compliments.  There are some pics missing because of rearranging things on Photobucket.  If anyone is interested in looking at pics, at their own pace, check the scrap book(s) on Photobucket.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wstory/library/P-15%20for%20sale%20Scrap%20Book?sort=6&page=1

and

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wstory/library/PlyProj2011?sort=6&page=1

• Like 1

I am in awe. All of your work is surgical clean and well thought out. I aspire to do the same with my car. I hope you don't mind people stealing your ideas because I will use several on my project. The parking brake cable is very cool. Nice work kind fellow and thanks for the time you took to document your progress.

• 5 months later...

I have been touched by the many "atta-boys" directed my way over the years of this project.  I recently scanned the whole thread after Wayfarer included a link, with kind words, as reference for another who is anticipating a major project.  I am always conflicted when I see the advice offered to a neophyte considering a major project.  However I agree with the general theme that, if your are a beginner going "major", you better have an achievable goal and be really good at stick-to-it-tv-ness. Otherwise, you may just ruin a car that someone else would like to have.

That being said, understand that my P-15 project was a first for me.  Yeah, I have pretty good mechanical skills but much was learn as I bumbled along.  I have a phrase that I share with my two pretty successful sons, which is......"It's amazing what you can achieve if you just go for it!"  The Plymouth, and life, worked out pretty well for me. 

On the thread I spotted my friend and neighbor's Ford Courier that fired up the same time as my P-15.  The second pic was taken two weeks ago.

Img_6313.jpg

-

IMG_7128_zps6c1fe7b0.jpg

-

Also, re my old girl, the pic below was taken at El Mirage dry lake this past Spring.  Just went to spectate but it's a great venue for photographs.  It's very driveable and great fun, 'tho there is still more to do.  In the meantime, I'm satisfying my need to putter by trying to figger the idiosyncrasies of the Hemi.

IMG_4921a_zps1d8b0862.jpg

In my opinion, newbies' can be too sensitive. Few were/are as green as I was some five years ago. Members on this forum who are on the 'straight at you' side have become my friends and the source(s) of invaluable information. At times we all get 'touchy' but that IMHO is what makes for a good discourse. My oldest son calls it the "bad cop / good cop" discussion.

I too enjoy the details in your work. I'm not that way, clean and workable is where I am today, maybe paint and other details will come, it's all part of the process.

The courier has turned out really nice, shows what can be accomplished with "stick-to-it-iveness". The best advice I ever got as a newbie to this hobby is to consider it like eating an elephant...one bite at a time.

Edited by 40plyrod

is that a ranch  wagon ??  factory  2 door ??  super kool whats under the hood ?? i hope not a chebby

I saw the Ford last year before it was finished and what a huge project. IIRC, everything under the hood was from a Crown Vic Interceptor, including the hardware for the occupant air bags, A/C and all....

• 4 weeks later...

is that a ranch  wagon ??  factory  2 door ??  super kool whats under the hood ?? i hope not a chebby

I saw the Ford last year before it was finished and what a huge project. IIRC, everything under the hood was from a Crown Vic Interceptor, including the hardware for the occupant air bags, A/C and all....

This one slipped past me. :o  Sorry!

My friend Mike lives right down the street.  I'll get a pic of the engine compartment and dash 'cause if you like outta the box thinking you'll enjoy the project that he did for his wife.  In the meantime,..........Ford called it a "Courier", based on the Tudor wagon.  Most would call a sedan delivery.  Ford built them on the passenger car chassis from '53 to about '57, '58 I think.

IMG_7854_zpsbd55997f.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory