Oz 1934 Plymouth Tourer

Roger the Dodger

Hmmm, interesting!! Don't think Plymouth made a 4 door touring car for the US market.

There is a reference to Holden bodied cars in OZ. looks pretty neat. Supposidly ther was one featured in a scene in the HBO series the Pacific. According to this there were only 157 made.

Scroll down a bit on the site, there ar two pages, this one is rhd also.

Hmmm, interesting!! Don't think Plymouth made a 4 door touring car for the US market.

There is a reference to Holden bodied cars in OZ. looks pretty neat. Supposidly ther was one featured in a scene in the HBO series the Pacific. According to this there were only 157 made.

Scroll down a bit on the site, there ar two pages, this one is rhd also.

Couldn't find the page Greg. I have a book "the History of Holden Since 1917"and the production figures for 1934 Plymouth are zero tourers.But a total of 215 in 1931/2/3. 1935 was the last year for Holden bodies on Chrysler,Dodge, DeSoto and Plymouth.

Roger.

Roger, the Holden book only covers bodies made by Holden, it could be quite possible that the 34 Plymouth Tourer was made by TJ Richards.........and Richards pre war production figures are not known.....supposedly......nice car either way.....andyd

Roger, the Holden book only covers bodies made by Holden, it could be quite possible that the 34 Plymouth Tourer was made by TJ Richards.........and Richards pre war production figures are not known.....supposedly......nice car either way.....andyd

That's right Andy, I will see if it is at next months cruze and try and catch the owner, and get more info.

Roger.

A very pretty car. The combination of front "suicide" doors and rear opening rear doors is pretty unusual too. The US built 1934 sedans had front opening doors on both front an rear.

The last year for US built Plymouth and/or Dodge phaeton bodies was 1932. The only 1933 Dodge phaeton I've ever seen was imported to the US from Australia. Even convertible sedans were pretty rare by 1933. I've only seen one 1933 DeSoto convertible sedan.

I'm guessing that is a PF but it could be a PG... PF would have independent front suspension while PG would have a conventional axle. Can't tell from the photo posted which it is.

Until they made these in 39.

That is a very nice convertible sedan.

A convertible sedan is not the same body style as a phaeton. The most obvious difference is that convertible coupes and convertible sedans have roll up glass windows while phaetons (and roadsters) have side curtains.

In the early (brass) years a four door open car with side curtains was a touring. By the 1930s the preferred term for that body type seemed to be phaeton.

Ed,

In the photo you posted, what year Plymouth is the one to the left of the '39 with the spare tire on what appears to be the front driver's side fender?

I also learned something by the Plymouth 4dr convertible, I always thought that 1940 was the first year for wipers on the bottom of the windshield, I see the '39 has them also.

No room for the wiper motors above the glass, that area was probably take up by the locating pins, and release latches. I saw a 38 or 39 convertible at Hershey a couple years back that had dual side mounted spares. Was this due to a rumble seat?

No room for the wiper motors above the glass, that area was probably take up by the locating pins, and release latches. I saw a 38 or 39 convertible at Hershey a couple years back that had dual side mounted spares. Was this due to a rumble seat?

No, side mounted spares were an option.

Back in the 1970s I could have bought one of those four door

convertibles from an area Ford dealer for about $1200. It was

in pretty fair shape. But I either didn't have the play money or

I wasn't that impressed with it at the time.

It was brown, don't know if it was the original color.

Think I was maybe still looking for a P15 convertible.

Of course, hind sight is real good nowadays.

I looked like this, stylewise.

39Plymouthconvsedan.jpg