Front Windshield Rubber??

55 Fargo

Good morning, this morning went for a test drive to see how the door weatherstrip is working out.

It seems to be working well, no drafts, aand wind noise, the car is much quieter as a result.

the wind noise, is still coming around the front window seal, which on my car is very rough, so crappy seal.

I plan to install a new rubber seal around the front window in spring, or sometime this winter.

Has anyone done this recently, and what rubber should I use Roberts(cheaper) or Steele (more money)........Thanx Fred

I agree with Bob. There have been a number of threads on this subject over the years, and Steele always wins out as to quality.

The only complaint about them that I have read, so far, is the rubber for the front vent windows. Several people have had the wrong ones sent, and there have been complaints about the price on them as well.

Other wise, follow your own judgement as to company, pieces, and prices.

Good Luck!

lets get to the basics.

when you buy from andy or roberts the windshoelds ar enot vulcanized.

which means that its bassiaclly just weather stripping, you piece it togther.

steele is the best quality i have seen.

i just spent serious money with them, i feel i get the best product on the market.

the prices are very similar, steel is not that much more than you think.

lets get to the basics.

Great idea to go to the basicsicon14.gif

What is the vulcanization process and who was the primary inventor? You will be surprised at the answer, the process, and the timeframe.

Do not take offense at this response as one of my charactor defects/strengths is to do research on a subject before I attempt to answer a question. I wish more would do so.

vulcanized i believe means that they change the compounds to make it softer.

steel gives you a one piece kit, not something you going to have to tape togehter

1 piece molded rubber.

They also sell it in 1 piece, that has a break in it off a roll, look on there website.

There is nothing wrong with a 1 piece rubber, witha joint if it is installed correctly and sealant is being used.

Not everyone is as priviledged as others who have unlimited budgets.

I have used Roberts rubber products with success to date, and may or may not use them for the front window, not sure.

I just did this yesterday. I used Steel Rubber, expensive but excellent quality. I suspect it should last another 60 years. I replaced the front windshield and the rear window. The gaskets fit like a glove.

Chet…

Chet;

Your car is looking better with every picture you post. Looks like the re-assembly is moving right along. Any unwanted scratches yet?

Hey Chet the car looks fantastic, and maybe I should follow your lead on the "Steele" window rubber, was it an easy install?

Don, mentions scratches, I have been super lucky in a year and a half, only a couple tiny scratches, touch wood. My son road along side with his bicycle, and did slight marr with handle bars, he was throwin a handfull of stones, and it hit the car door, and did nothing, so far so good........Fred

I have found the Clester products to be a better fit than $teele for door and trunk rubber, I do have the windshield pieces here but have yet to install them...I have seen Clester's front and rear D24 rubber in place..good fit, as to long life..that is yet to be determined..but after 1 year out in the weather daily, direct sunlight..very soft and pliable yet..I do not make any personal recommendation, and I try not to call names anywhere, just post a few of my own findings when the question arises...you must make that call on your own..

Chet;

Your car is looking better with every picture you post. Looks like the re-assembly is moving right along. Any unwanted scratches yet?

Don,

No damage yet. The painter told me not to worry he can fix anything. He told me that once I install everything if there are any dings he would fix them free of charge. I think he is enjoying my project as much as I am and probably hopes for future business.

Rockwood,

Thanks for the at-a-boy. As far as easy, everything is easy once you are finished. The wife helped me put these in. She worked the outside rubber lip while I held the glass in place. In my opinion definitely a two person job.

Cheers, Chet…

I replaced my windshields 3 years ago. I got the rubber from Andy B. It seemed like good quality, but it was from a roll. I found it difficult to work around the lower outside corners. Perhaps that is the same with all makes. Are any of them molded to shape? My son helped me install the glass. It definitely seemed to be a two person job.

Gentleman,

Here is the definition of vulcanized rubber:

The story goes that on a cold February morning in Massachusetts, 1839, Goodyear was showing off his latest concoction of gum-and-sulphur at Woburn's general store. Ridiculed, he waved his fist in the air and a bit of the substance flew off to land on a hot pot-bellied stove. When Goodyear scraped it off he noticed an elastic rim had formed at the edge of the hardened material.

Vulcanized rubber had peeked at Goodyear.

He reasoned sulphur and heat were key, but in what proportions? Renewed in his research, his poverty continued to weigh on his family. Of the 12 Goodyear children, 6 died in infancy, one during this period. Unable to afford a funeral, Goodyear borrowed a cart to take his dead infant son to the graveyard.

Finally Goodyear came upon the key: the application of steam to sulphurized rubber for several hours under pressure, at a temperature of about 270F (132C), resulted in weatherproofing. Now rubber could be made into almost anything!

Goodyear wrote his well-to-do brother-in-law who worked in the textile industry. The first application of what came to be known as vulcanized rubber, made its debut in the form of puckered ruffles on fancy shirts.

Unfortunately Goodyear sent samples of his weatherproof rubber to British rubber plants before obtaining a foreign patent, and a man who had been trying to make weatherproof rubber for 20 years saw one of the samples. The Englishman's name was Thomas Hancock, and he noticed a telltale yellowish powdery residue on the surface of the sample. In short order he reinvented the weatherproofing process in 1843, four years after Goodyear. When Goodyear applied for a British patent, he found Hancock had beaten him to it. Goodyear sued, but lost the case.

The term "vulcanized rubber" did not come from Goodyear, but was coined by a friend of Hancock's, who named the process after the Roman god of fire, Vulcan.

Today in the United States the rubber industry employs some 300,000 people and produces $6 billion in products annually. None of which would be possible without vulcanized rubber.

Skip